Would you date a smoker?

• No, never

Votes: 16 44.4%
  • I'm not sure, maybe, maybe not

Votes: 12 33.3%
  • Yes, it's no problem

Votes: 8 22.2%

• Total voters
Woah. Thanks for the references. And well, this sure does make the question even more difficult for me than it already was. I sure wish my thoughts on the matter were purely theoretical now. :dizzy:

Smoking and being around smokers is a matter of health. I am willing to give a year only for potential happiness.

This makes second hand smoke more dangerous than first hand smoke how? All it's saying is people who are subjected to second hand smoke are more at risk than people who aren't and that non-smokers who are subjected to second hand smoke have 40% the chance that the smokers have. Thus it is very dangerous but second hand smoke is NOT more dangerous than smoking.

Reread it with your eyes open this time. It's an undisputed scientific fact.

Yes, cause well I have.

I'm weird, but I like the way smokers taste when you kiss them. I don't smoke cigarettes because they make me ill though. Like more than two puffs and I get dizzy and light headed and want to vomit. I'm surprised how much of a deal breaker this smoking no smoking thing is. Interesting.
*decides to smoke cigarettes*

Shai is right. It has been scientificaly proven. I've read about it elsewhere, I don't remember where, but it's a proven fact.

I'm not disputing the validity of it, but rather how you are interrupting it.

"While secondhand smokers only inhale about 1/100th the dose of smoke inhaled by the smokers themselves, the effect of that secondhand smoke is large. Secondhand smokers have a risk of coronary heart disease that is 30% higher than for nonsmokers who are not exposed to secondhand smoke. In contrast, the risk for actual smokers is increased by 80%. So, while the dose of smoke inhaled by passive smoking is 100 times smaller than for smokers, the increase in risk to the nonsmokers is much, much greater than that. Indeed, their excess risk is almost 40% as high as the excess risk to the smokers themselves."

The risk to second hand smokers is 40% of the risk of smokers. That means they are getting 40% of the baddies that smokers get. It is still more dangerous for the smoker than the second hand smoker (but once again, I'm not trying to say second hand smoke isn't bad or that the science is wrong, I'm arguing your post saying second hand smoke is worse than smoking).

Like time it is all relative.

Note: too lazy to read thread, responding to OP

It depends on the person. If they're the type that was rather discrete about it (only smokes outside and wears some perfume like substance to cover the smell), I wouldn't have a problem. However, if they're the type to smoke and blow it in your face, then not a chance. I've met and dealt with both kinds of smokers, and the latter just drive me out of my mind.

I have friends who mostly smoke. If you don't want to breathe it stand where it doesn't blow on you. My "friend" smokes, but outside and deposits his buts in his car, washes his hands. He is really nice about not smoking when I am in his car.

I may change my mind later. I just quit smoking when I found out I was pregnant. I might smoke again. I really don't know.

I'm weird, but I like the way smokers taste when you kiss them. I don't smoke cigarettes because they make me ill though. Like more than two puffs and I get dizzy and light headed and want to vomit. I'm surprised how much of a deal breaker this smoking no smoking thing is. Interesting.
*decides to smoke cigarettes*
You're a freak just like me!
I used to be anti-smoking... Harassed my ex-boyfriend every time he lit up. Then when I broke up with him and found myself missing him, I smoked cigarettes just for the taste of him, cuz that was safer than going back.

I'm a smoker. I think smoking is disgusting. I don't blame anyone for not dating a smoker. When you think of how f'n silly it is that we're paying the man to kill us faster..

I'm quitting!

Last edited:
I'm curious. Would you date a smoker, ever? Is it no problem, a giant deal breaker, or what? Would you go on a casual date with a smoker, or would you only entertain dating a smoker if you were extremely into them?

I've been giving this topic a lot of thought lately. I'm pretty anti-smoking myself, having grown up with asthma (which nearly killed me when I was tiny) in a home with two chainsmoking parents. My father left and my mom quit years ago, and I'm much happier not having to deal with the effects of smoking.

So I guess my own answer would be "no". But then, depending on how much someone smokes, how considerate they are towards me in consuming their icky habit, and how much I dig them I'm not sure if I'd let it stop me. It's really hard to think about, actually.

:m075:

I've been paternally damaged by my parents already because of smoking, I doubt I'd date a smoker because of that, and also that that person is willing to let their body become addicted to a substance is another sign of something I don't particular like.

I've been paternally damaged by my parents already because of smoking, I doubt I'd date a smoker because of that, and also that that person is willing to let their body become addicted to a substance is another sign of something I don't particular like.
Addictions aren't something people can readily control...fyi

Engaging in an act of self-destruction is, though. It's not like no one lights up anymore and is totally oblivious to the affects..

Engaging in an act of self-destruction is, though. It's not like no one lights up anymore and is totally oblivious to the affects..

True, but up until maybe 40 years ago the ill affects of smoking were relatively unknown and downplayed. Plenty of time for people over the age of 40 to become addicted. Not that it really leaves much of an excuse for younger smokers. They know the risks but it's a personal choice.

And it wasn't really the cigarette comment that irked me, more of the generalization about people "willing" themselves to become addicted that bugged me. I hate it when people look at substance addiction as a character weakness. Sure it's a flaw (which has a large part to do with genetics) but I hardly think it makes a person weak.

Thats a good argument, but it doesn't really affect me. I don't plan on dating people my parents' age.

[quote=N

I haven't voted because I think if I met the right person, and they happened to smoke, I don't think I could tell them to bug off.

But, at the same time, I think smoking is disgusting. And I would not choose to date someone who was a smoker.

Addictions aren't something people can readily control...fyi

i smoked for 18 years, sometimes up to 2 packs a day, and quit cold-turkey... i was very addicted to smoking... addictions can be controlled easily for me...

Last edited: