Food Warning: High Fructose Corn Sugar | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Food Warning: High Fructose Corn Sugar

I stocked up on wings and ribeyes.....I am good.

what's up with chicken wings???

:doh:

Smart Alec!
yapyap.gif

LOL that site was awesome!
Good job Wyote

(it really was, but you're still a Smartipants)

LOL.

(I'm laughing on the outside, crying on the inside)

Well, I've noticed that my allergies have kicked into high gear lately so I'm cutting back on most of all my store-bought items. I go to the health food store when I can, but I'm thinkin' about starting an organic garden soon. There's room enough in my yard for an itty bitty one. :D

What do you guys think about how overweight kids are nowadays as related to how unhealthy many foods actually are?

Do you think it could be related to the preservatives, artificial ingredients, antibiotics in meat, etc? Not necessarily caused - because I think the cause is multifactorial. But related?

Stuff like this is why I shop at farmers markets as much as possible!

What do you guys think about how overweight kids are nowadays as related to how unhealthy many foods actually are?

Do you think it could be related to the preservatives, artificial ingredients, antibiotics in meat, etc? Not necessarily caused - because I think the cause is multifactorial. But related?

I wouldn't say meat specifically as there are overweight vegetarians but it would be one contributor. Think the bigger problem is the portion sizes considered average these days. They're massive!

I think it's a combination of a lot of things.

I know a strict, lifelong vegetarian family and while the two sons are almost painfully thin (the younger especially) the mother is obese, and the father is by no means thin. None of them look particularly healthy.

But all of them eat more starches than vegetables, soda is their primary beverage, and they eat a lot of pizza and other "junk" food that doesn't contain meat.

So I think that speaks to the poor quality of the foods they're eating. I firmly believe that the processing and additives in all kinds of foods (including mainstream meat and dairy products) sacrifices nutrients for shelf life, and I imagine a lot of people are eating a lot of empty calories and ingredients which are not being digested properly/broken down by their bodies, which contributes to poor metabolism. I believe this includes the widespread use of High Fructose Corn Syrup.

High-fructose corn syrup is the floozy of the sugar world: It's sweeter and cheaper than table sugar but is viewed with distrust by some consumers. As a liquid, it's easy for food and beverage makers to use, especially for sweetening drinks. No wonder it has edged out the former leading sweetener: sucrose, or ordinary table sugar.

Since the introduction of high-fructose corn syrup in 1966, U.S. consumption has reached about 60 pounds per person per year. That rise has closely paralleled the obesity epidemic -- a fact that has led some scientists to suggest that there might be a link between the two.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/02/02/AR2007020201492.html

We eat a balanced diet here, which includes meat, but virtually no junk food, and we're all quite lean and healthy. Healthier than a lot of people I know, at any rate.

And I do agree that the excessive portions many have come to expect as normal (restaurant wastage in my country APPALLS me) adds to the problem.

It's hard to have HFC in moderation because it's in EVERYTHING! That commercial is such a joke. "Fine in moderation." What moderation? It's in EVERYTHING!

I'm going on a soda-less diet once more *sigh* I did this in high school, but since coming out with my boyfriend *sigh* my diet hasn't been as healthy.

:(