"Soylent": Man Thinks He Never Has To Eat Again | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

"Soylent": Man Thinks He Never Has To Eat Again

I wonder how it's different than the other nutritional drinks out there that provide you will everything you need? Like meal replacements. Is it just lower in calories?

Supposedly it's full of less sugar and filler ingredients, its energy source is primarily made up of more healthy slow-release carbohydrate, and it is actually nutritionally complete enough to be consumed daily for extended periods of time, whereas other meal replacements are probably lacking in certain nutrients, essential oils, or a healthy supply of fuel. I don't think the formula is designed for weight loss even though it could theoretically be tailored for that or it would have that effect among overweight individuals. It's just supposed to provide enough nutrition and fuel for maintenance of health, whether it be for people who don't have access to good food and are starving, or anyone else. I'm sure if your normal diet is full of crap and you use this, you will lose weight, and if you go back to normal foods you will "balloon up", but only if the drink would constitute a reduction in calories from your normal diet. If you eat normal foods with equivalent energy and nutrients, there wouldn't be a huge difference.

Reactions: invisible
"There are no food replacements on the market" this guy is full of shit.

anyways people love eating so much that they will eat mcdonalds which is like poison. Who is he fooling?

Just another fad diet.

anyways people love eating so much that they will eat mcdonalds which is like poison. Who is he fooling?

Just another fad diet.

The meal replacements available aren't as healthy or nutritionally complete as this one, supposedly.

Most people love eating but who knows, this might become more of a trend if it becomes more accessible. And the people who are creating some of the fad diets out there now have capitalized immensely. The diet industry is just as prosperous as, if not even more than, or in some sort of symbiotic relationship with, the food industry.

The meal replacements available aren't as healthy or nutritionally complete as this one, supposedly.

Most people love eating but who knows, this might become more of a trend if it becomes more accessible. And the people who are creating some of the fad diets out there now have capitalized immensely. The diet industry is just as prosperous as, if not even more than, or in some sort of symbiotic relationship with, the food industry.

I suppose a 1 in a million chance is still a chance. I have no doubt that some people will try it but until it tastes better than chocolate it would never be main stream unless there's a necessity.

I suppose a 1 in a million chance is still a chance. I have no doubt that some people will try it but until it tastes better than chocolate it would never be main stream unless there's a necessity.

Maybe some people will drink this on the side to balance out their chocolate consumption.

Point made though. People like eating.

Reactions: the
great thread niffer. i was reading a lot about this stuff in the past and id definitely be into it. i think what he says is true, there is no product on the market that is designed to completely replace food in the way that this product is. other products are supplements, this is not designed as a supplement but as a complete replacer.

if i can be permitted a digression, one thing ive noticed since being vegetarian is how irrational people can be about food. often when i get sick someone is telling me that its because i dont eat meat. actually the reason i get sick is because i work in a shop where hundreds of people walk through sneezing and coughing and leaving virus particles in the air which i cant help breathing in. my doctor tests my blood every year and tells me theres nothing wrong with me that is related to my diet, my blood says im in great shape, i have no problems with iron or protein. people are often telling me that i must have problems with protein due to being vegetarian, but i have no problems with protein. i dont mention this because i want other people to be vegetarian, they can do what they want, i just mention it because being vegetarian has made it clear to me that people have certain warped ideas about food that they dont want to let go of, they are always telling me that there must be something wrong with me because im vegetarian, when in fact they have no idea about the impact that vegetarianism has on my health.

one thing i previously read that this guy said is that people think that they need food, but food is not actually what they need, what they need is the nutritional value of food, the vitamins and energy fuel and whatever other things that it is composed of chemically etc. its difficult to eat a diet of food that is balanced enough to provide the body with its ideal requirements of these things, and its easy to overdo it. with this you can just measure out the quantity that is ideal for your body size. you dont even have to think about it, because it has already been worked out what your body needs. show me a person who thinks about the exact nutritional value that they are getting from their food when they plan their meals, and you will be showing me a very rare person. most people just dont have time or motivation for that crap. they rush through the supermarket without any real plan, grabbing whatever occours to them to try and construct themselves a reasonable diet.

being busy doesnt always mean being run ragged. preparing food does take time however you look at it. it can be fun when you particularly enjoy food or when you are entertaining guests, but at other times its repetitious drudgery. theres nothing shameful about wanting to use that time for something else. the 20 minutes that i use to put a lunch together before work could be spent doing something i enjoy far more than preparing food or putting it in my mouth, like listening to music or reading a book, or even just sleeping. i can definitely appreciate the art and craft of fine dining, but tbh, in my day to day life i dont always care that much what im eating, i just want to get it over with so i can get back to other more interesting things. i dont think theres anything psychologically wrong with me for that - why should i have to be always needing and desiring to put a new meal in my mouth in order to be psychologically healthy?

the thing that gets me most excited about this, is that for something that is so nutritionally rich, it is so inexpensive to produce, both in simple monetary terms, and in terms of its impact on the environment. its potential ethical value is enormous. i dont really understand why people would not be excited about those possibilities.

Reactions: barbad0s
anyway, i did hear that its pretty yummy. and like any shake you can add other flavours to it too. strawberry, or chocolate if you want. :hungry:

niffer rep comment: "invisible is excited for semen drinkz"

are you kidding? this stuff is going to be my complete semen replacer!!! there is no way i will drink semen again after this.

like cmon guise... use your imaginations. at just a few dollars a meal, consider the increased disposable income, the extra time not spent shopping for food.

I think the guy will be rich. Its meal replacement drink that seems to be very comprehensive.

like cmon guise... use your imaginations. at just a few dollars a meal, consider the increased disposable income, the extra time not spent shopping for food.

moar monee for strippahs!

tumblr_mttaedT2eB1sxz665o1_500.gif

Just another fad diet.

There are many things marketed as "food replacement" but none you could actually "live" off of for long with out incurring serious health issues. None that I know of anyway.

Fascinating stuff! He seems like he knows what he's doing.

I would be worried about the long-term impact of not eating fresh food and getting everything in a liquid form. How could this impact bone structure, density, development, muscles, etc. etc. etc.

Other than that, why not. Learning about how humans work -- uuhmm, I mean, how we work -- is a lot of fun!

Fascinating stuff! He seems like he knows what he's doing.

I would be worried about the long-term impact of not eating fresh food and getting everything in a liquid form. How could this impact bone structure, density, development, muscles, etc. etc. etc.

Other than that, why not. Learning about how humans work -- uuhmm, I mean, how we work -- is a lot of fun!

I, as I am sure many people on this forum have now done, have recorded this as your admission to not being of this earth. I am watching you, just not closely.

:)

I had the greatest, massivest blue cheese and bacon burger over the weekend in the republic of ireland with a big pint of Guinness

Reactions: rawr