ZenCat

Waving Sage
Oct 4, 2008
A Hippie Commune
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
Recently 2
It's in just about everything, and it's testing positive for Mercury. Check your labels!

[SIZE=+2]Study Finds High-Fructose Corn Syrup Contains Mercury[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]Wednesday, January 28, 2009; 12:00 AM
[/SIZE]
MONDAY, Jan. 26 (HealthDay News) -- Almost half of tested samples of commercial high-fructose corn syrup (HFCS) contained mercury, which was also found in nearly a third of 55 popular brand-name food and beverage products where HFCS is the first- or second-highest labeled ingredient, according to two new U.S. studies.

HFCS has replaced sugar as the sweetener in many beverages and foods such as breads, cereals, breakfast bars, lunch meats, yogurts, soups and condiments. On average, Americans consume about 12 teaspoons per day of HFCS, but teens and other high consumers can take in 80 percent more HFCS than average.

"Mercury is toxic in all its forms. Given how much high-fructose corn syrup is consumed by children, it could be a significant additional source of mercury never before considered. We are calling for immediate changes by industry and the [U.S. Food and Drug Administration] to help stop this avoidable mercury contamination of the food supply," the Institute for Agriculture and Trade Policy's Dr. David Wallinga, a co-author of both studies, said in a prepared statement.

Rest of story here...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/01/26/AR2009012601831.html

HA! Now let me see those damn HFCS advocates play down this one!

Trying to tell me it is not bad for me! HA!

Yeah, I have avoided it for years on principle (it's all genetically modified corn) but seriously, it's in EVERYTHING. I try to buy organic as much as possible but I can't always afford it.

Juice boxes are a huge culprit for those daily doses of mercury, I'll bet. Luckily my son is really fond & proud of his stainless steel thermos (none of the other kids have one) and drinks water at school instead of juice.

I avoid it as much as possible myself. Mainly since I found out that the body doesn't metabolize the sweetener as energy, its converted directly into fat reserves.

This is just another reason to avoid it!

Hmmm.... Wasn't the mercury used in vaccines used as an excuse to not vaccinate due to the risks of autism?

I wonder is the rise of autism could be attributed to HFCS the amount of mercury consumed by kids and by pregnant women instead and not to vaccines.

Things that make you wanna go HhhhhhMmmmmm

Exactly. I think it was you who informed me they no longer use the mercury preservative in vaccines (during a vaccination conversation). Kids/pregnant women could more than be making up for it consuming the amount of HFCS out there. It's almost unavoidable these days (like aspartame).

Yup. We don't use any artificial sweeteners. Though it's damned hard to avoid them too. Even children's chewable medicines all have aspartame!

I held up the pharmacy one night for an hour because I made the pharmasist look up the medication my doctor had prescribed for my son's hives to see if it had aspartame in it. It did. AND HE GETS HIVES FROM ASPARTAME!!! Finally ended up having the adult medicine cut down to size for him, since it didn't contain aspartame, though the children's formula did. Idiots.

But mercury is no laughing matter, especially if kids are ingesting it every single day, which - according to this study - is likely.

Yup. We don't use any artificial sweeteners. Though it's damned hard to avoid them too. Even children's chewable medicines all have aspartame!

I held up the pharmacy one night for an hour because I made the pharmasist look up the medication my doctor had prescribed for my son's hives to see if it had aspartame in it. It did. AND HE GETS HIVES FROM ASPARTAME!!! Finally ended up having the adult medicine cut down to size for him, since it didn't contain aspartame, though the children's formula did. Idiots.

But mercury is no laughing matter, especially if kids are ingesting it every single day, which - according to this study - is likely.

Yup both of them are everywhere.

What it is interesting, is mercury itself isnt toxic, it is its organometallic compounds that are so dangerous. Avoid tilefish at all cost, they have dangerous high ammounts of mercury

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dimethyl_mercury
"The toxicity of dimethylmercury was highlighted when a well-known chemist, Karen Wetterhahn, died several months after spilling a few drops of this compound on her latex-gloved hand.[2]"

Yup both of them are everywhere.

What it is interesting, is mercury itself isnt toxic, it is its organometallic compounds that are so dangerous. Avoid tilefish at all cost, they have dangerous high ammounts of mercury

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dimethyl_mercury
"The toxicity of dimethylmercury was highlighted when a well-known chemist, Karen Wetterhahn, died several months after spilling a few drops of this compound on her latex-gloved hand.[2]"

Yes, I made a Good Fish/Bad Fish list for grocery shopping that I keep in my wallet, it includes local advisories for my state, as well (which sadly means no wild caught catfish for us, and we all love it). Tilefish is absolutely on the Bad Fish list.

Wow thanks for sharing that!
I knew there was something hokey about those HFCS commercials! I knew it! Safe in moderation...pffft.

Anytime you see a commercial on TV telling you something is safe you should be cautious. Someone is likely counting on the belief that if you see something on TV....It must be so!

HA! Now let me see those damn HFCS advocates play down this one!

Trying to tell me it is not bad for me! HA!

You read my mind!

Food manufacturing is disturbing - it's unbelievable.

It tears me up inside some days that some people have no idea. I wish more people read ingredient labels and questioned whether what they were eating was food or "edible lab product". I don't know what it would do for the people who rely on how inexpensive the artificial items are, or people who rely on cooked meals because they can't prepare them themselves.

I've read that there a number of things added to food in the US (and therefore probably Canada) that are banned in Europe by the EU. Alarm bells huh.

I'm happy to spread the word.

I swear my Facebook page is one warning after another. Last one was the (still ongoing) widespread peanut butter/salmonella crisis.

It stuns me that so many people never become aware of recalls, etc.

I just did a quick recon of my fridge and pantry. So far only two items turned up with HFCS... the lemonade and grape jam. Both went straight into the garbage, and I read the article to my son (as I did with the peanut butter contamination). He generally avoids sharing at school, since he's a bit of an organic snob, but he read it and then hugged me and thanked me for "having his back" for stuff like this.

I'm happy to spread the word.

I swear my Facebook page is one warning after another. Last one was the (still ongoing) widespread peanut butter/salmonella crisis.

It stuns me that so many people never become aware of recalls, etc.

I just did a quick recon of my fridge and pantry. So far only two items turned up with HFCS... the lemonade and grape jam. Both went straight into the garbage, and I read the article to my son (as I did with the peanut butter contamination). He generally avoids sharing at school, since he's a bit of an organic snob, but he read it and then hugged me and thanked me for "having his back" for stuff like this.

Awww! How old is he?

And how do you keep up with the recalls?

Last edited:
Awww! How old is he?

He'll turn 12 next month. We went completely non-toxic/organic when he was about 2. He had a seizure and got very, very sick when he was a year and a half old, and had impaired immune response for several years, but is now hale and healthy as a... really healthy horse. Very cool, bright, affectionate, philosophical INFJ Aquarius :becky:

ETA: I regularly check the FDA's recall page. Here's the current peanut butter/salmonella link: http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/peanutbutterrecall/

Last edited:
Between fluoride, HFCS and the chicken wing shortage, we are doomed to a fate worse than hell.