Feminism and it's impact on today's society | Page 4 | INFJ Forum

Feminism and it's impact on today's society

Irenashav, its ok if you like the more traditionally defined male roles and style, but just that doesn't mean its more right than any other way a man should be.

:pound: sandwich is a running gag here at home lol are we getting to the topic if only women should "cook" sandwiches? :D
I dont know any women who cook these days :p

I am going to poke on the OP with the utmost gentleness:

At the very least, I've had this feeling that OP is not looking for a different type of answer from what she had in mind (and thus, why I'm leaving) and apparently, I'm a bit right in this.
Then I think the feeling extends beyond the OP...

anyway, we -can- agree to disagree about how a man or woman should look and/or act without putting the other down, can't we?

Reactions: the and Azazel
Reactions: acd
Well, I cook every day, just about, and I really don't see how people could exist without a detailed meal plan at least a week in advance.

And Irena, I was not trying to pick on you, so if it seemed that way I apologize. It's just, I've seen plenty of pictures of real, actual people from the past and frankly my dear (jk), they looked more like unhappy toothless hillbillies with ten children than Rhett Butler. So I'm not seeing how the general appearance of most people has gotten somehow less virile. If they all really looked like Rhett Butler in the past, I'd agree with you, but the ones I've seen definitely didn't.

Yes, this does come out as random racism. And I am not Russian fyi. For me masculinity doesn't mean brutality, but rather naturally strong masculine energy, which means having a strong personality and appearing masculine without trying hard. For me a real man is not aggressive towards women, but he would never let a woman boss him around. If she tried to do it, he would ignore her or leave her.

Feminism is about equality, extremists can be found everywhere and anywhere. The extremists don't define the term... In the end of the day, when granted freedom, people can be who they are more naturally, and if you like naturally strong men, i'm sure you wouldn't want to marry someone who appears a 'naturally strong man' and inside he is gay and hiding in the closet for the rest of his life just because of the society around him. This is very common by the way. And no i'm not gay.

Edit: So now you can distinguish more between what you like and what you don't(choose a man which fits you the most).

Reactions: Azazel
Flip side of the coin: Would a real woman let a man boss her around, or would she ignore him/leave?

Some Real women let men boss them around all the time. Who are you to judge the real ness of a females woman status?

man that isn't bossed around:

Maybe she means these guys?:

[video=youtube;LlFAd4YdQks]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlFAd4YdQks[/video]

[MENTION=5090]Apone[/MENTION] I can only speculate! I knew some who abused their men like that btw. But should they hit back or what? I don't get all these "games" and why people are abusive. Can't they communicate :S

Maybe your energy would be better spent searching for a community of like-minded people. The internet has made that easier than ever.

'If you don't like it, leave?'
That's not very open-minded.

I do think that men have changed, but I don't think it's because of feminism. People get softer when life is easier, and life is definitely easier. There's no conscription, less agriculture, and less manufacturing... a lot of the classic 'working man' jobs are moving to the developing world, and a lot of construction companies are turning to immigrant exploitation to cut costs. I've even heard arguments saying that a lot of guys simply don't want to work in factories or on farms anymore.

Still, if you get out of the urban areas and into the places where hunting and fishing are popular, you'll probably find more 'manly' men... they won't necessarily be the brightest bulbs in the chandelier however.

I also don't think that most women are like Xena Warrior Princess. They're still women except now they have more job opportunities. That doesn't make them into men. I really don't see how working in geology or a medical lab makes you 'masculine'. I guess if they're becoming cops or firefighters or soldiers, then they're probably going to be more like men but most of the women I know are in the classic 'woman' jobs like nursing and teaching, or in white-collar jobs that require degrees and are more mentally/socially demanding than physically demanding. I do think that on the whole, men do better in the more brutally competitive atmospheres, however-- corporate culture, politics and trading come to mind. I would imagine that those kinds of jobs would take quite a toll on anyone.

Last edited:
Some Real women let men boss them around all the time. Who are you to judge the real ness of a females woman status?
I thought it was obvious from my post that I found the term "real man" or "real woman" to be asinine. If it wasn't, let me say it now; the terms "real man" and "real woman" are asinine. I was questioning the validity of the term in the post that I quoted in the post you quoted from me.

Reactions: the
I think that the OP meant 'classic', not 'real'.

Reactions: Azazel
Why does how someone else decides to present themself and live affect you? Is it ruining your ability to have a satisfying relationship and an exciting life? If so, you might want to reprioritize. Or at least find someone who agrees with you. Trust me, they're out there. Have you met @Flavus Aquila?

You still are not being specific in response to my question. You haven't answered the What or How?

Huh?

Am I the dinosaur stereotype? I enjoy acting like a gentleman around ladies, so shoot me, if that is anti feminist.

Huh?

Am I the dinosaur stereotype? I enjoy acting like a gentleman around ladies, so shoot me, if that is anti feminist.
I didn't say anything about gentlemen. And neither did you, originally.
You said life was boring for you etc., because of feminism.
I personally appreciate courtesy so if you open the door for a woman, kudos.

I was talking about the equality aspect.

Last edited:
I was under the impression that feminists consider chivalry to be misogynist, because it implies that men are not treating women as they treat other men.

Huh? How is it up to the man to decide whether or not a woman will let herself be bossed around?

You said that a real man won't be bossed around by a woman, or else they'll leave or ignore her. I'm asking you whether or not you think a real woman should let herself be bossed around, or should she too leave/ignore? You made a statement, and I'm asking you your opinion as to whether or not that same statement applies to "real" women. Also, wouldn't it be "considerably subjective" for a woman to decide the way that a real man acts?

My personal opinion is that a healthy, confident woman would not endure things like her boyfriend/husband commanding her around all the time just to feel in control. But if it's about something like letting a man make final decisions about important decisions concerning their life together, and has a practical purpose, like buying a house or a car, I believe that doesn't take away any of woman's worth.

I meant to say that men are the ones who need to evaluate what being a real woman is, not that they will decide if the woman will be bossed around. I think that being a real woman involves several other factors besides this one.

If you were going to objectively measure a woman's attractiveness, you would obviously make a poll asking a number of heterosexual men how attractive they find her. Every one of them would give their subjective opinion, but the result based on the opinion of majority of those questioned would be objective if the number of participants was representative enough. You will not measure a woman's attractiveness by asking heterosexual women if they find her attractive. Same thing with objectively evaluating if a woman is a real woman or not, and if a man is a real man. At least I believe so, but you are entitled to disagree.
If you or any other woman want to evaluate by yourself if you're a real woman that's fine, but for me it doesn't have any objective value.

Last edited:
My personal opinion is that a healthy, confident woman would not endure things like her boyfriend/husband commanding her around all the time just to feel in control. But if it's about something like letting a man make final decisions about important decisions concerning their life together, and has a practical purpose, like buying a house or a car, I believe that doesn't take away any of woman's worth.

I meant to say that men are the ones who need to evaluate what being a real woman is, not that they will decide if the woman will be bossed around. I think that being a real woman involves several other factors besides this one.

If you were going to objectively measure a woman's attractiveness, you would obviously make a poll asking a number of heterosexual men how attractive they find her. Every one of them would give their subjective opinion, but the result based on the opinion of majority of those questioned would be objective if the number of participants was representative enough. You will not measure a woman's attractiveness by asking heterosexual women if they find her attractive. Same thing with objectively evaluating if a woman is a real woman or not, and if a man is a real man. At least I believe so, but you are entitled to disagree.
If you or any other woman want to evaluate by yourself if you're a real woman that's fine, but for me it doesn't have any objective value.
The way I understand what you've said is this; real men won't be bossed around by women, and not being bossed around is a marker of a "real" man. However, you also just said, I think, that a real woman won't be bossed around either, if a real woman is healthy and confident, or whatever. What I was trying to determine, which has only gotten more and more convoluted, was whether or not you felt it was right for men to boss women around. Your distinctive marker for a real man was not to be bossed around, and that seemingly implies that you think women should accept being bossed around, because not accepting it is too masculine for women. However, you seem to now be saying that women shouldn't be bossed around either, so your original statement that a real man isn't bossed around, thus making the not-being-bossed-around a marker of masculinity, not actually a marker of masculinity, but rather a marker of a confident and well-adjusted human being. Honestly though, I'm having a hard time following your thinking as it jumps around from place to place, and doesn't seem to address the questions posed to you, but rather takes the conversation in a new direction.

Also, I'm not a woman.

bamf;670416 Honestly though said:
Sorry, I don't now why I assumed you were a woman. :/

You asked me if I thought that a real woman would be bossed around, but I think that opposite sex should always be a judge of what a real woman is, same as women should always be the judge of what a real man is. Therefore I found it very hard to answer objectively, but I still stated my personal opinion, which implies that there are different kinds of behavior that are implied by men "bossing around" to women of which some I find acceptable for a real woman and some not, like making important decisions (acceptable) and abuse (unacceptable).

I find myself and every other woman unqualified to evaluate what a real woman is, and therefore unqualified to answer this question objectively. This is the only answer I can give you. You might find it confusing, but I did my best to answer honestly.

Reactions: bamf
Honestly though, I'm having a hard time following your thinking as it jumps around from place to place, and doesn't seem to address the questions posed to you, but rather takes the conversation in a new direction.

She's trolling that's why. She already explained the intent of this thread was to troll. She didn't say it in those words but it's basically what she said.