Regular Poster
Jan 3, 2011
MBTI
INFP
Enneagram
Type 6
What is your opinion on the subject?
I'm not a fan of it personally.
I believe that women and men should have equal rights, but I think it's unnatural and unattractive when a woman acts like a man and the other way around, even though it's common practice nowadays. It has taken away all that is natural and beautiful in a relationship between a man and a woman.

I think it's pretty awesome: I get to vote, I am not relegated to housewifery and baby making, there are enormous opportunities for employment--I could be a doctor, an astronaut, even join the military if that's what my heart desired, spousal abuse and rape are a crime (for the sick bastards that partake), I can make choices regarding my own reproduction and health---but I guess you two don't believe women should be afforded these things?

Please define acting like a man--does it mean holding down a full time job, voting, being financially independent, or wearing carharts and spitting and swearing? What exactly is your problem with it? What is natural and beautiful that is lost? Subservience? Because I'm a feminist and I think my relationship with my boyfriend is natural and beautiful-- it's not like I refuse to cook and clean for him (he does the same) and I'm not incapable of collaboration and respect because I think women should have equal rights... I'm not making him bathe in my sacred menstrual blood if that is what you mean..lol

in my opinion feminism is about choice and freedom. if you want to live as women did 50 years ago and carry on the traditions of your mother and grandmother, you should be able to do that. and if you want to , as you put it, act like a man, you should be able to do that too. i think human beings are far too varied to be forced into a few specific set of lifestyles, and society as a whole should strive to accomodate their differences to whatever extent is reasonable. people (all people, regardless of their sex) should be able to live a life reflective of their true needs, and not pressured into something completely alien to their true nature just to find acceptance in the group.

yes, it can be distruptive to traditional values, but overall feminism serves an important purpose - highlighting the fact that women are not presently perceived as equals to males and that this does have a huge and often unacknowledged negative affect on their lives, and society as a whole. besides, at its heart, feminism is not about invalidating the traditional positions of males and females in society, but broadening them, so that they are truly reflective of society as it actually is, and not how it is percieved to be or how it used to be. basically it aims to bring social values more in line with the truth of modern women, so that women have a choice about how we want to live. it is really about empowering women and cutting off unnecessary cultural ties to the past, not making a mockery of deeply ingrained cultural values.
forgive me, i'm rambling. i think this is an important topic though and one that warrants further discussion. basically, yeah I support it. it's a step in the right direction.

Reactions: Quiet
I think it's pretty awesome: I get to vote, I am not relegated to housewifery and baby making, there are enormous opportunities for employment--I could be a doctor, an astronaut, even join the military if that's what my heart desired, spousal abuse and rape are a crime (for the sick bastards that partake), I can make choices regarding my own reproduction and health---but I guess you two don't believe women should be afforded these things?

Please define acting like a man--does it mean holding down a full time job, voting, being financially independent, or wearing carharts and spitting and swearing? What exactly is your problem with it? What is natural and beautiful that is lost? Subservience? Because I'm a feminist and I think my relationship with my boyfriend is natural and beautiful-- it's not like I refuse to cook and clean for him (he does the same) and I'm not incapable of collaboration and respect because I think women should have equal rights... I'm not making him bathe in my sacred menstrual blood if that is what you mean..lol

You don't clean, you make him clean and you stare at snails.

A woman could even lead a country thanks to feminism. But people want to focus on silly bullshit like what someone wears or who cleans the house and serves me or who someone will or will not sleep with.
I posit that those opposing feminism either don't understand what it actually is, or they oppose equality for all people.

Reactions: z523x4gr98j

I haven't formulated my first post clearly enough, so there is much room for misinterpretation. I will try to correct this.
There are two main kinds of feminism: equity feminism and gender feminism.
Equity feminism is fine with me, with it's main idea about gender equity in politics and education.
Gender feminism, however, is something that I find to be a plague upon mankind.

The problem is that in practice those two kinds of feminism sort of go together with each other (my assumption is that gender feminism originated from equity feminism combined with some other social factors), so I don't know how it would be possible to have one without the other.
The other main problem I think, is that some women are taking feminism too far and trying to be same as men in every aspect of their personality and life, which is obviously making life very boring and destroying the natural dynamics of sexual relationships between men and women.

Reactions: the
What is your opinion on the subject?
everything's good in moderation. My vague opinion but only because I agree with what [MENTION=564]acd[/MENTION] and [MENTION=1926]TinyBubbles[/MENTION] have said, so I don't want to repeat more or less the same.
I think everyone should be able to carry a life style and traditions that they choose and believe in, so if you want to behave like a woman (whatever it means in your opinion) you just do it. When we talk here about feminism let's not forget that there's the rest of the world out there who still needs a lot of changes... Not everything limits itself to Western World. One of the acquaintances of mine works with women from the countries where an arranged marriage isn't uncommon, for example. These women suffer greatly and fall victims to physical abuse, they're denied their basic rights. I think there are many examples out there...

I haven't formulated my first post clearly enough, so there is much room for misinterpretation. I will try to correct this.
There are two main kinds of feminism: equity feminism and gender feminism.
Equity feminism is fine with me, with it's main idea about gender equity in politics and education.
Gender feminism, however, is something that I find to be a plague upon mankind.

The problem is that in practice those two kinds of feminism sort of go together with each other (my assumption is that gender feminism originated from equity feminism combined with some other social factors), so I don't know how it would be possible to have one without the other.
The other main problem I think, is that some women are taking feminism too far and trying to be same as men in every aspect of their personality and life, which is obviously making life very boring and destroying the natural dynamics of sexual relationships between men and women.
Why does how someone else decides to present themself and live affect you? Is it ruining your ability to have a satisfying relationship and an exciting life? If so, you might want to reprioritize. Or at least find someone who agrees with you. Trust me, they're out there. Have you met @Flavus Aquila?

You still are not being specific in response to my question. You haven't answered the What or How?

Reactions: Azazel
yes, it can be distruptive to traditional values, but overall feminism serves an important purpose - highlighting the fact that women are not presently perceived as equals to males and that this does have a huge and often unacknowledged negative affect on their lives, and society as a whole. besides, at its heart, feminism is not about invalidating the traditional positions of males and females in society, but broadening them, so that they are truly reflective of society as it actually is, and not how it is percieved to be or how it used to be. basically it aims to bring social values more in line with the truth of modern women, so that women have a choice about how we want to live. it is really about empowering women and cutting off unnecessary cultural ties to the past, not making a mockery of deeply ingrained cultural values.

Equity feminism in theory is something beautiful indeed, but I believe practice always involves wider group of social factors and unpredictable consequences. What I have a problem with is gender feminism. Here is the exact by-product of feminism that is bothering me:

Men and women before
Gone_with_the_Wind.jpg

Men and women now
Xena2.jpgEmo3.jpg

I might be overreacting, but I think most of people reading this will get the general idea about what I mean.

For me acting like a man means displaying loud, dominant and aggressive behavior. Spitting and swearing also qualifies then. Don't misunderstand me, I'm not saying that women shouldn't have the right to do all those things. I'm just saying it looks ugly and unnatural.

What most of women (not all) have lost is their natural femininity, which is a true core of every woman's attractiveness. Do you understand the difference between femininity and feminism? What is femininity in your opinion? (I'm talking about personality traits and behavior, not things like doing housework, having a baby and raising children.)
Try to ask some men what is their idea of feminine traits and behavior and then try to see how much of that is left in today's women.
How boring is life when there are no visible differences between men and women except their physical body?

I love feminism it killed the bondage institution of men called marriage. Now I can just play the field, have a kid when I want and never have to legal up.

Reactions: tfg345i4u5lw
For me acting like a man means displaying loud, dominant and aggressive behavior. Spitting and swearing also qualifies then. Don't misunderstand me, I'm not saying that women shouldn't have the right to do all those things. I'm just saying it looks ugly and unnatural.

What most of women (not all) have lost is their natural femininity, which is a true core of every woman's attractiveness. Do you understand the difference between femininity and feminism? What is femininity in your opinion? (I'm talking about personality traits and behavior, not things like doing housework, having a baby and raising children.)
Try to ask some men what is their idea of feminine traits and behavior and then try to see how much of that is left in today's women.
How boring is life when there are no visible differences between men and women except their physical body?

No offense, but what do you know about being a man or the pressures put on men to conform to whatever
idealized way people want us to act?

Feminism turned from enlarging the rights into enlarging the duties. We MUST work and we MUST take care of house and babies as well, in the same time we MUST look good to have better reactions from people around us and maybe to look good for our men, who -anyway- turn head when a hottie comes around. Should I mention that our salaries are still not equal to "male-salaries"? Ok, we are allowed to vote and to be elected. But how many of us profit from that?

Reactions: cvp12gh5
Should I mention that our salaries are still not equal to "male-salaries"? Ok, we are allowed to vote and to be elected. But how many of us profit from that?

Less kids more work. Female executives make 13% more than male executives. I dont have the numbers at hand but I did read a report that said men do work more hours in general than women do, take less health related breaks and days off and dont get knocked up... you cant fix everything.

It's highly debatable that women make less then men, but some speculation on reasons why that could be true are that in many jobs women just cannot produce as much as a man can do to physical strength requirement and child-rearing responsibilities. Another reason could be that women aren't willing to ruin their health and relationships in order to further their career.

It's highly debatable that women make less then men, but some speculation on reasons why that could be true are that in many jobs women just cannot produce as much as a man can do to physical strength requirement and child-rearing responsibilities. Another reason could be that women aren't willing to ruin their health and relationships in order to further their career.

Not to mention, there is usually a huge divide when a couple has a kid. The would (typically) will get time off to help get the kid ready for stable life while the male will typically put in OT or take a second job. I suppose the roles could be reversed if they really had to, but it seems more practical to have the person with the breasts and milk and maternal instinct to rear the screaming wrinkled thing. Even so, as they say for women who go childless they make FAR MORE than women who have children, hell they make more than most men too. Especially female executives.

I don't put much stock into femininity and masculinity.
People are people. The healthiest and most content people seem to be those who have accepted and developed in themselves aspects of both genders. It is good to be strong and assertive and also nurturing and communicative. When it comes to spitting and wearing clothes of the opposite gender--do you really think people like that didn't exist before feminism? You pick out the most trivial things and ignore all the benefits.

Its intriguing how threatened people can become when others do not meet their expectations.
I think life is more interesting when people feel free to express themselves, when they have cast off the shackles of expectations from others.

Not to mention, there is usually a huge divide when a couple has a kid. The would (typically) will get time off to help get the kid ready for stable life while the male will typically put in OT or take a second job. I suppose the roles could be reversed if they really had to, but it seems more practical to have the person with the breasts and milk and maternal instinct to rear the screaming wrinkled thing. Even so, as they say for women who go childless they make FAR MORE than women who have children, hell they make more than most men too. Especially female executives.
In Sweden men are given paternity leave. Thanks to feminism. Parental leave in the US sucks.

My personal opinion is that women make less than men because they tend to be less ambitious. I think it's biological and related to testosterone. I don't think it's because women are oppressed.

Reactions: Azazel