Favorite romantic comedies (movies)? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Favorite romantic comedies (movies)?

The film was marketed as 'A romantic comedy... With Zombies!' as the tagline.

It's all about getting the girl!:3

it had romantic parts, and funny parts (they'd all have lived if they didn't keep on pissing off jason by walking into his barn where he was trying to sleep.)

Okay, I guess I can see where you're coming from. I always took the "romance" in Friday the 13th as meaningless teenage sex.

That being said, Freddy vs. Jason was one of the BEST romantic comedies I've ever seen.

EDIT: If you don't believe that Freddy vs. Jason doesn't have elements of a romantic comedy, then carefully look over the plot and read the definition Last Dawn has posted before. Originally, I was actually joking... but now, it's a little too eerie... Even the ending theme song hints at it!

Last edited:
The basic plot of a romantic comedy is that two protagonists, usually a man and a woman, meet, part ways due to an argument or other obstacle, then ultimately reunite. Sometimes the two protagonists meet and become involved initially, then must confront challenges to their union. Sometimes the two protagonists are hesitant to become romantically involved because they believe that they do not like each other, because one of them already has a partner, or because of social pressures. However, the screenwriters leave clues that suggest that the characters are, in fact, attracted to each other and that they would be a good love match. The protagonists often separate or seek time apart to sort out their feelings or deal with the external obstacles to their being together.
While the two protagonists are separated, one or both of them usually realizes that they are ideal for each other, or that they are in love with each other. Then, after one of the two makes some spectacular effort to find the other person and declare their love, (this is sometimes called the grand gesture), or due to an astonishing coincidental encounter, the two meet again. Then, perhaps with some comic friction or awkwardness, they declare their love for each other and the film ends happily. The couple does not, however, have to marry, or live together "happily ever after". The ending of a romantic comedy is meant to affirm the primary importance of the love relationship in its protagonists' lives, even if they physically separate in the end (e.g. Shakespeare in Love, Roman Holiday)[1].

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romantic_comedy_film

Meh, just figured we needed a definition of what entitled a romantic comedy. Continue on :D

Reactions: Gaze
...doesn't include stylistic/cinematic conventions that are crucial to delineating between a romantic comedy and everything else.

Maybe you should do the honors, Yield. After all, you're the expert in this kind of stuff.

A Walk to Remember
Ten Things I Hate About You
Remember Me
Made of Honor
27 Dresses
Letters to Juliet
Can't Hardly Wait
50 First Dates
The Notebook
Dear John
Pride and Prejudice (Pretty much any Austen Movie)

While you were sleeping
Notting Hill
Bridget Jones's Diary
The Holiday

:m093:

Amelie!

I thought it was a very cute film.

amelie.jpg

Last edited:
I can only think of one, My Big Fat Greek Wedding.

fcnx9e.jpg

I prefer romantic dramas.

Hmm, I'm bound to leave something out, but here's what comes to mind

• Made of Honor
  • Up in the Air
  • When Harry Met Sally
  • You've Got Mail
  • French Kiss (with Meg Ryan)

500 Days of Summer (if it is one) is the only one I've seen that I thought was pretty good. I'm not fond of romcoms (maybe it was being forced by my friends to watch Love Actually when I was about 12 that instilled a deep dislike for them).

I would have to say Amelie as well.. because I loved how they became intrigued by one another..and his endearing weirdo preoccupation with the mystery photobooth guy.

And wish I was half as clever as Amelie about setting up introducing herself..

I have seen one movie in the last twenty years that didn't have romance.

Master and Commander.
Well, Aubrey did wink at one of the ladies. That was probably all that remained of a whole romantic subplot that didn't make it into the final cut. :becky:

I have seen one movie in the last twenty years that didn't have romance.

Master and Commander.

What? That's the gayest movie ever! Russell Crowe only had eyes for the Doctor...

Pride and Prejudice (Pretty much any Austen Movie)

yes, i was going to say any of the movies based on jane austen. i like her stories because the timid/shy people always get their romantic wish at the end.

i also like e.m. forster's "a room with a view"

and "harold and maude"!

I love romantic comedies. :) My favorites are:
Amelie
French Kiss
Sabrina (the newer one, with Harrison Ford)
You've Got Mail
Cold Mountain (ok, not a romantic comedy, but it's a love story)
Bridget Jones' Diary
Lost in Translation (again, not really a comedy, I guess, and definitely a different kind of romance, but I love it!)
:m015: