Economics Major

bickelz

BOINK
Jan 1, 2011
MBTI
infj
Enneagram
4w5
So I usually hate the threads talking about "infjs and (fill in something random)" because it is usually very generalized and sometimes these people are not infj (I went there). But, it's really the best way I can describe myself in this context.

So I doubt that I will be majoring in a science like I previously thought I would such as chemistry so I was thinking about majoring in psychology with an econ minor but now I'm considering the possibility of an econ degree with maybe a psych minor and/or something to do with finance.

Has anybody here majored in econ? Something similar? Think it may be a good field for and infj(ey) type of person?

I am leaning more and more towards majoring in econ
myself (;

Reactions: bickelz
So I doubt that I will be majoring in a science like I previously thought I would such as chemistry so I was thinking about majoring in psychology with an econ minor but now I'm considering the possibility of an econ degree with maybe a psych minor and/or something to do with finance.

Well fancy that, I'm majoring in psych and econ.

The suitability of econ for your personality depends on what you intend to do with it. In my experience, the econ label attracts attention from ideologues (along with a few genuinely curious people). Some people approach econ as part of business and accounting, but under the current circumstances, people are more inclined to probe the field for political validation.

If you're majoring in econ strictly for its own sake (that is, to be a career economist), then you're pretty well locked into graduate studies. Is that where you're looking to go?

Was getting a minor in economics, major in business. Hail fellow nerds.

Depends on the econ classes at your school and what you like. Econ majors have the 2nd highest accept rate into law school if you're interested in that. It is also good for business (obviously) and a lot of econ classes at some schools are really just business classes called econ classes. I personally loathe econ/business classes due to the groupthink aspect of it that they have at my school, but if you have a good program, or if you enjoy it, it is not a bad choice.

And minoring in psych could also be applicable.

I mean, do you like economics?

Reactions: Gaze
If that is what you like, then that is what you should do.

I'm a lazy bum.

Has anybody here majored in econ?
Something similar?
Think it may be a good field for and infj(ey) type of person?

Well ... given your avatar you might want to consider majoring in Kitten Huffing.
"The orange ones will fuck you up REAL good."

If you're majoring in econ strictly for its own sake (that is, to be a career economist), then you're pretty well locked into graduate studies. Is that where you're looking to go?

[MENTION=11]TheLastMohican[/MENTION] Well, I just started thinking about it literally 2 hours ago but I would probably lean towards either a financial or economic adviser. Supposedly some econ advisers only need a BA while a financial adviser would need an MA.

I should add: I thought I wanted to be an economics major when I first began college, but my introductory economics course first term completely destroyed that thought. Just sayin'.

Reactions: Nixie
I should add: I thought I wanted to be an economics major when I first began college, but my introductory economics course first term completely destroyed that thought. Just sayin'.

I took econ 101 and it was easy, I think I liked it. One thing is for certain though, I hate this quarter with Chem and Bio. Just not for me anymore. This isn't high school, I have options that need exploring.

I might major in psych though. Not sure. If I major in econ, I will minor in psychology.

So I usually hate the threads talking about "infjs and (fill in something random)" because it is usually very generalized and sometimes these people are not infj (I went there). But, it's really the best way I can describe myself in this context.

Has anybody here majored in econ? Something similar? Think it may be a good field for and infj(ey) type of person?

I don't know how you'd fit, but I definitely think jobs in this field are going to be in demand.

Is econ very detail oriented, or is it more just conceptual?

Is econ very detail oriented, or is it more just conceptual?

Micro is more conceptual, macro is detail-oriented (on the large scale, of course, dealing with statistical tendencies and the relationships between numerous measures of economic activity).

Micro is more conceptual, macro is detail-oriented (on the large scale, of course, dealing with statistical tendencies and the relationships between numerous measures of economic activity).

Hmm. I would have expected it to be the other way around somewhat.
Micro being about business management sort of stuff, and so needing
to be exact, but with approximations needing to be made when looking
at the larger picture in macro, and so conceptual models being crucial.

I went to some lectures for Political Economy and really liked those.

I always looked at the difference between long run and short run analysis. Of course, one of my econ profs used to say "in the long run, we are all dead".

Economics is very conceptual, both micro and macro economics. They're both not detail-oriented. In fact, the other disciplines in the social sciences criticize economics for its over-simplification.

But if you're interested in psychology and economics: The rising star within economics is behavioral economics which combines both.