Earthquake in Christchurch, New Zealand | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Earthquake in Christchurch, New Zealand

Are you from NZ?
I think all the tragedies over the last six months will bring New Zealand closer together. :(

No..but I understand the terrible impact of this. The life of one person impacts several lives, each one of the lost lives will have an effect on so many people..then I put into my mind all the sufferings those people will go through, the families..it truly is a tragedy :(

I sympathize with everybody..

I'm glad you are safe Elowen and Matariki.

No..but I understand the terrible impact of this. The life of one person impacts several lives, each one of the lost lives will have an effect on so many people..then I put into my mind all the sufferings those people will go through, the families..it truly is a tragedy :(

I sympathize with everybody..

I'm glad you are safe Elowen and Matariki.

Definitely, such a tragedy :(
I can't believe the death toll is 65 already, after only 6 hours. It is going to get a lot worse. :(

Definitely, such a tragedy :(
I can't believe the death toll is 65 already, after only 6 hours. It is going to get a lot worse. :(

Yep, unfortunately. I dread to think how the hospitals are coping right now, yet alone the stress of missing individuals.

Yep, unfortunately. I dread to think how the hospitals are coping right now, yet alone the stress of missing individuals.

It appears they're trying to ease the pressure by getting people to other hospitals throughout the country. God, such a tragedy. :(

I've got a couple of friends in Christchurch - I keep telling them they should come to Australia.

I've got a couple of friends in Christchurch - I keep telling them they should come to Australia.

I've got extended family down in Christchurch too.
I hope your friends and my family aren't dead or hurt. Life can be blunt sometimes.

Felt the Quake in Dunedin Nz.

Our second biggest city, much of it in ruin, I'm stunned.

I actually did think of you guys in NZ. Hope things get better quick and glad you are safe.

Hope Christchurch gets some international attention and help on this.

Thank you I am watching now. American news did run something- it was one sentence. Terribly uninforming.

What else would you expect from American television? :frusty:

It had significant coverage in the New York Times and the Washington Post, this morning. It was also covered in detail on NPR's "Morning Edition." I heard about it last night on NPR news. It's just a matter of which news one chooses to listen to or read. And, with the WWW, ignorance is no excuse with the BBC, ABC (Australian), Le Monde, Le Devoir, Globe and Mail, Al Jazeera, and so many other sources easily and freely available.

We've apparently had international offers of help from Australia, USA and Japan (?) which we will most definitely have to take up.

The official death toll has been revised to 39, but that is way underestimating it since they're only counting a death as an official fatality if the person has been identified by next of kin.

Pretty sure a dead body is still a dead body even if their family aren't around to identify them.

One sentence? How silly.

This is a serious tragedy. So devastating.

Yes I didn't even see this on the news until this morning, I must have missed the international reports last night. Quite devastating. I have an old friend from NZ, hope his family is doing okay :(

Yes I didn't even see this on the news until this morning, I must have missed the international reports last night. Quite devastating. I have an old friend from NZ, hope his family is doing okay :(

Are they from Christchurch?
If they were from the North Island they will be completely fine (although there are some reports that the earthquake was felt lightly at the bottom of the North Island!) and chances are unless they are in ChCh or surrounding area they will be fine too.

From the twitter feed:

20 bodies remain unidentified. 300 people are still missing, says Mayor Bob Parker #eqnz

More sad news, one of my fathers friends who worked in the optometry field (same medical field that my father works) died after the local church collapsed down on him. He was crushed to death...

I have no idea what to say, nor what else to expect. What a bloody mess.

More sad news, one of my fathers friends who worked in the optometry field (same medical field that my father works) died after the local church collapsed down on him. He was crushed to death...

I have no idea what to say, nor what else to expect. What a bloody mess.

:( I am so sorry. This whole thing has just been fucking horrible and I just still can't believe it's happened. This sort of stuff doesn't happen here, it just doesn't.