Do you think it is ok to fatally harm someone because they are bad or killed someone? | Page 5 | INFJ Forum

Do you think it is ok to fatally harm someone because they are bad or killed someone?

Self Defense? Absolutely. I'll be damned if someone tries to kill me and I don't attempt to stop them, even if it means killing them.

Punishment? No. Because that means you are just as bad as they are. Especially if the person is locked up and they are no longer able to cause harm.

Reactions: Gaze
We're all on death row anyway. It does no good for us as a society to just move some people further up the queue.

To incarcerate them for the rest of their lives in the case of pre-meditated murder is enough.

Exile can't work in most places because there is nowhere to exile them to and nothing to prevent them returning.

The prison systems are screwed up and that needs to change so that it is only used to protect society or as a kind of re-introduction to society and not as punishment for the sake of punishment. There are productive things that criminals could be doing, especially non-violent ones.

Still, there are people in the UK who want it brought back. I'm fairly sure if there was an actual vote, direct democracy style, there may even be a majority.

This is why we can't have nice things like genuinely representative suffrage.

I agree with a lot of [MENTION=2259]Kmal[/MENTION]'s points and [MENTION=1451]Billy[/MENTION].

I think it makes sense to kill someone
  • When it is war and they are a lethal level threat and conflict is right upon you
  • When a death penality isn't stupid and justice is to be done rather than injustice

Punishment for the sake of punishment is wrong

Punishment as a deterrent is essential

Taking action to prevent further immoral acts is not punishment. It is simply advisable. If the only way to do this could also be described as a punishment then so be it

That pretty puch sums it up for me

Reactions: Gaze and StRoNgO
Self defense? To protect yourself, family, a woman elder or child, or your property? Shoot em dead. Yee haw. Wild West style baby! I've had my vehicles tampered with and vandalized 3 times this last year. I would love the ability to deal with that myself. In Texas you actually can. California you get a murder charge.

Proven child molesters, murderers, repeat rapists? Electrocution within year of conviction. Or hanging.

Now, I have 2 friends in prison for child molestation. Both I know are innocent.
The woman who testified against my friend, oh I have my opinions on her. Her IQ is roughly that of a doorknob. If said doorknob was drunk and narcissistic.
So there are many innocent people locked up. The system needs to be fixed before enforcing such a penalty though

There is a common belief in our culture that killing people because they're bad or because they've killed someone is acceptable and justifiable. Many of these reasons are "justified" according to various views:

1) Self defense (protect self or others)
2) punishment of crimes against humanity
3) potential to harm (although that reason may be questionable)

And there other reasons, but can't think of them atm.

But what do you think?
I think it's completely justifiable for soldiers, police, and anyone within the bounds of the law to kill in defense of oneself and others, especially the innocent.

Only if you're Dexter.
giphy.gif

1) Self defense (protect self or others)
2) punishment of crimes against humanity

OK with self-defense (if necessary for self-defense, that is), but not with punishment of crimes against humanity, simply because I think that it defeats the idea behind the concept of "crimes against humanity". This concept is at the heart of the human rights framework, and the right to life belongs among the most essential human rights. It is fundamental to the idea of a human right that it be absolute. There cannot be exceptions.

In self defense or when defending someone else.
As an act of mercy for those who are suffering, when the suffering won't end*.
Otherwise, no, with rare exception. (Rare exception: the being is a bigger threat to others if kept alive and the threat cannot be reduced.)

*My answer applies to "someone" who may not be human as well.

Still, there are people in the UK who want it brought back. I'm fairly sure if there was an actual vote, direct democracy style, there may even be a majority.

This is why we can't have nice things like genuinely representative suffrage.

Did I predict brexit in 2012? :p

What if we murder all the people who think it's ok to murder people who murder people

Woops sorry, didn't mean to... I didn't realise you were serious about wanting to put to death all defenders of the death penalty :p

You can only solve crime with crime, an obvious fact for the enlightened beings of this world

Self defense? To protect yourself, family, a woman elder or child, or your property? Shoot em dead. Yee haw. Wild West style baby! I've had my vehicles tampered with and vandalized 3 times this last year. I would love the ability to deal with that myself. In Texas you actually can. California you get a murder charge.

Proven child molesters, murderers, repeat rapists? Electrocution within year of conviction. Or hanging.

Now, I have 2 friends in prison for child molestation. Both I know are innocent.
The woman who testified against my friend, oh I have my opinions on her. Her IQ is roughly that of a doorknob. If said doorknob was drunk and narcissistic.
So there are many innocent people locked up. The system needs to be fixed before enforcing such a penalty though

Are you serious or trolling?