do you meditate? | INFJ Forum

do you meditate?

Yes, mindfulness/insight meditation. The description is fairly typical.

I have a number of methods, here is a couple.

One I mentioned in another thread describes the repetitive actions method. Basically pick a task that you can do almost with your eyes closed where the variation of actions no longer require any form of forethought. Fall into a rythm and let your mind wander away, I like to envision floating up into the clouds.

There is the simple sit somewhere very quiet, maybe put on some white noise of some sort if you can't get completely quiet. Sit comfortably, I prefer indian style, close your eyes. When I started meditating I followed the guide's method of imagining a path with harmonious surroundings and traveling on that path onto a bridge over a body of water where I dumped all my self doubt or troubles into. Nowadays after I close my eyes and just listen to something repetitious my mind hooks into something and I'm gone.

Yes, mindfulness/insight meditation. The description is fairly typical.

Yes, both of these. I was very good about it for years and then things got too busy. I keep meaning to go to a group meditation. I like walking, bell, guided, breath, and just sitting meditations. I bought a traditional cushion, but I can't keep my back straight in that posture (western culture, chairs, grumble) so I actually use one of my son's little chairs. It's the perfect height.

Meditation for me is just being still in a quiet place and connecting with my higher power by being open to Him guiding my thoughts. I used to always try to think about nothing, but I had someone describe it more like allowing the thoughts to come but just watching them like clouds floating by.

My meditation also involves a higher power, and grows deeper and more peaceful over time. To really open up to my spiritual experiences, I first bring my mind to kind of like a blank slate, except for the oe thing on my heart at the time. I then just let things happen, and I feel my mind being guided along until I reach a 'destination' where I can make sense of something I'm contemplating. I find this easiest when I'm outside and fully surrounded by the natural world, or if I go to the place that represents how I'm feeling. This has been many places, like dark rooms, rooftops, anywhere quiet. I don't personally agree with New Age or Buddhist approaches to meditation, as I leave my spiritual state and guidance with God to control as opposed to the universe, but I like the idea of using surroundings to enhance the experience.

My meditation involves sitting in a quiet place and measuring my breathing to control my heartrate. I breathe deeper and deeper until my heartrate gets pretty low, then I just ball up everything inside and push it all out. Kind of hard to explain, but you focus all the negativity you can muster in your core, then expel it.

It's weird, but I meditate when I run. I completely zone out and just take in the movement of my body and my breath and all my surroundings. This usually happens after I caught my second-wind and all the aches and effort that goes into the motion disappears.

Reactions: Wyote
No. My boss taught me a meditation technique to use to survive my years of study. I tried it yesterday but I couldn't let go of my sense of impending doom to relax. Stupid exams are so close.
:m142:

only very occasionally

I thought in meditation you weren't suppose to think or imagine period? You just go blank and try to stay blank for your whole session.

The mental imaging techniques is to set aside other thoughts that may be less productive. I would think after thorough repitition you don't even need to think about that imaging technique, you just kind of fall into the meditative state, but maybe I am wrong.

I have only practiced meditation like 1 or 2 times and that was over 10 years ago. I have been wanting to study it more, but I say that about a lot of things. :D

I find it very hard to relax. Meditation is a challenge for me.
The only time I do it is when I'm practicing martial arts.

i try to do a bit every couple of days. I use self hypnosis sometimes, if I'm wanting to implant some positive thoughts, or if I'm particularly ill at ease. Otherwise, if I just want to relax I use meditation and qi gong. Firstly I do some qi gong moves to get the qi moving around my body and to make my limbs relax. Then I concentrate on abdominal breathing which is very relaxing. Then after about 10 minutes i sit down cross legged with a straight back and I continue to breathe deeply. When I hear something, or notice something, I think to myself "Now you are noticing a bird singing... it doesn't matter, you just notice it...". Or, "Now you feel your back hurt. It doesn't matter, you just notice it". There is an incredible sense of objectivity and detachment than you experience when you start acting as if you are no longer attached to your own feelings and emotions. The more you do this, the more spaced out you feel.

I just do mindfulness meditation.

I have trouble sitting "Indian style", so I usually find an upright position of repose some other way, however I can find it. Sometimes I'll use repetitive music when my mind is particularly frantic.

Sit in a calm position. Watch your thoughts, acknowledge them, rather than perpetuate them. let them go. Repeat until the puppy stops yipping.

I think I've done just about every sort of meditative technique I'm capable of... under just about as many religions haha centering prayer, transendental meditation, vipassana, ect ect I've mentioned it all around the forum before, but typically as of late, I've been meditating for 15 minutes in the morning mostly for relaxation and mindfulness.

Meditation vs Daydreaming. My meditation is distinguished from active daydreaming insofar as I consciously choose the theme/subject and occasionally guide my thoughts back to the theme/subject. My subject is usually something spiritual.

Very calming and "centering."

Meditation vs Daydreaming. My meditation is distinguished from active daydreaming insofar as I consciously choose the theme/subject and occasionally guide my thoughts back to the theme/subject. My subject is usually something spiritual.

Very calming and "centering."
If thats what meditation is then I do it all the time. XD
Though maybe the problem is I don't choose calming subject matter.

How easy is it for those of you who do meditate to go from completely distraught to completely fine, through meditation?

How easy is it for those of you who do meditate to go from completely distraught to completely fine, through meditation?

That has never really been the goal for me. The main benefit is simply being more calm all throughout the day as a result of taking that little amount of time to re-center myself intentionally. Some days it's easy as pie, other days it seems futile even bothering... until I remember how much it really does help the rest of my day.

That has never really been the goal for me. The main benefit is simply being more calm all throughout the day as a result of taking that little amount of time to re-center myself intentionally. Some days it's easy as pie, other days it seems futile even bothering... until I remember how much it really does help the rest of my day.
Hmmm... considering bad I am at doing daily, day-to-day maintinance stuff I dunno how much good this will do for me. Even if I have every reason to be able to just do it as I am, anywhere anytime, I still wont do it if I tell myself to do it regularly.
I need "crisis management" meditation XD.