Do you believe in ghosts? | Page 5 | INFJ Forum

Do you believe in ghosts?

Do you believe in ghosts?

• Yes I do believe in ghosts.

Votes: 83 51.6%
  • No I do not believe in ghosts

Votes: 78 48.4%

• Total voters
The same way you can believe in elves but not fairys I guess.

Well what I mean is, I see ghosts in the same category as Religion, niether can be proven by science. Sure, you can see flashes of "ghosts" but most of those are optical illusions, and some say they've seen Angels before, I once saw a youtube vid of it. So... yeah.

In the metaphorical sense I believe in what are called "hungry ghosts" - people who have severe obsessive desires that prevent them form enjoying their lives. Like a biillionaire who's afraid to leave his house for fear of losing his fortune, or a coin collector who spends 24/7 searching for rare coins.

If ghosts are real otherwise (and I'm not saying they aren't) then they're simply created from the same essence we are, just a different form. As for supernatural glowing things that come down to haunt you? I'll pass.

I'm dealing with a ghost in my new apartment. I have two kids and I am afraid of what it is going to do. Sometimes, at night I sneak around to try to catch it. When the landlord showed us this place it was clear. She bmoved quickly throught rooms, on guard, counting moments.

We have a smeltergeist.

One moment there's nothing, then suddenly the smell of cigarette smoke. Or after a weekend away we come home to the smell of wet dog, or some horrible fabric softener.

I dread the late night hours and the random smells with which we are tormented.

Not in any traditionally conceptualized sense of the word.

Just never had a good reason to believe in such.

In the first house I lived in, my parents and I heard old radio sounds coming from the house. They were very faint, and we each denied doing anything to produce the sounds. It was strange, and it didn't follow us when we moved out.

Now, in my newest home, sometime I'll hear a piano playing random tunes late at night. Not sure what to make of this stuff. I'm hoping it's not insanity :)

I'm still not sure if I believe in ghosts. If I do, my idea of a ghost probably wouldn't reflect the conventional definition of the term.

Well what I mean is, I see ghosts in the same category as Religion, niether can be proven by science. Sure, you can see flashes of "ghosts" but most of those are optical illusions, and some say they've seen Angels before, I once saw a youtube vid of it. So... yeah.

So its perfectly viable to believe in ghosts but not God, simply different religions involved. However, it would NOT be valid to believe in ghosts but say you don;t believe in God because he can;t be proven scientifically.

I have an atheist friend who believes in Magic, so... yeah.

I would have liked an undecided option in this poll, because that's what I am. However I've gone with no...

and that's only because I haven't had any first hand experiences with ghosts. I'm pretty rigid in my beliefs until I experience something for myself. I haven't experienced god first hand, and that's why currently I'm an atheist, so I'm the same about ghosts.

I don't believe in "ghosts", but I do believe that there are evil spirits who sometimes impersonate themselves as people that are dead in order to lead others astray.

Not ghosts, no, but something. I will never play with or touch a Oujia board in my life again.

i only believe in ghosts as a way of describing persistent memories. i have enough trouble dealing with the living without worrying about that sort of thing.

yeah i do, there's just been more than one occurrence that points to the possibility me and my family are in fact living on haunted indian burial grounds, the levitation being one of them, bleeding walls, etc etc.

kidding, but no i do believe in them. too many consistently unexplainable events have happened around here for me think otherwise. i'd say i'm in the 4/7's to 3/4's range in terms of my faith, despite my lack of religious beliefs.

yeah i do, there's just been more than one occurrence that points to the possibility me and my family are in fact living on haunted indian burial grounds, the levitation being one of them, bleeding walls, etc etc.

kidding, but no i do believe in them. too many consistently unexplainable events have happened around here for me think otherwise. i'd say i'm in the 4/7's to 3/4's range in terms of my faith, despite my lack of religious beliefs.

My mom is from a remote Alaska native village in Alaska. When she was about 12 she walked into her brother's room (he was sleeping) and he was levitating a couple feet off the bed, with his blanket hanging off of him and it didn't wake him up. My mom has no reason to make something like that up. I have no explanations.

Reactions: Stu
I started having these weird dreams after I messed with that damn bord. I realize that I'm dreaming in them like most dreams, but these ones stick out because when I wake myself up, I'm still dreaming. I wasn't until I had this following dream that I started to understand what was happening.
I fell asleep on the floor in front of the tv.
I'm dreaming - I'm still there in the same house. But it's different.
There is brown shag carpet instead of a rug on the hardwood
Here is... I wanna say... Wall paper. And the walls are different as if there is a wall missing.
The furniture is... Old. Not old but older model.
The tv is next to me on the floor where I still lay.
But it's a small tv with dial nobs and an antenna.
It starts happening. First when I sense that am not alone. I try to wake up.
Over and over again. I can't move. I can hear myself
Finally something tells me ( not literally ) I mean I get the feelin that I I turn the dials on the tv and tilt the antenna a certain way. If I hit the right frequency, I'll wake up.
The tv was the way to get back
I hear myself . Louder this time. I wake up.
Everything was back to normal. The hard woodfloors and the rug I lay on. Te wall was there and they were all back to their newly painted purple color. The tv was wel our tv and it sat in The entertainment center next to the stereo against the wall that was there again.
It was then that I solved the mystery and was able to answer why the stereo turned on and and he volume all the way up by itself at 2 am some nights.
Believe me it was not a timer, nor anybody wih a desire to rock out at dawn. Even when we unplugged it. Yeh well.
It's my understanding that the relm they live in is parallel to ours. They live in a state of confusion and attachment. We are as mch a mystery to them as they are to us. But I do believe that like myself, perhaps they too can solve their own mysteries.

Most people who believe in ghosts, or any kind of spiritual phenomenon would not want to "prove" what they believe. Let alone, much of this stuff can not be proven to the standards that randi wants. Spiritual and relegious matters are very nondescript by their very nature. They can not be proven, nor disproven.
I was active in a ghost-hunting organization for a couple years (investigating locations in the US and the UK), and observed all sorts of extremes within the spectrum of people that believe, want to believe, or don't believe. For some people it was important that they prove the existence of ghosts to the world, while others were simply trying to prove this to themselves, and then there were those who felt it was important that no one else believed (because they didn't). The latter were always the most disconcerting, but I did learn to ignore them eventually.

Unfortunately, when I concluded my ghost-hunting adventure I was more skeptical than accepting of the reality of ghosts. This is not to say that I didn't witness strange, unexplainable events, but I came out the other side with a non-traditional understanding of ghostly phenomena. That said, people like Randi can be frustrating to someone who believes in and utilizes psychic functionality on a daily basis, so I completely identify with what you're saying. I have no investment in proving or disproving things that I believe, and don't expect others to adhere to my vision of the universe.

Is is the question

.............. then there were those who felt it was important that no one else believed (because they didn't). The latter were always the most disconcerting, but I did learn to ignore them eventually.........

Unfortunately, when I concluded my ghost-hunting adventure I was more skeptical than accepting of the reality of ghosts. ........

There is a world outside our ability to perceive. Just what it is is the question

maybe yes, maybe no.

I live in what is said to be one of the most actively haunted cities in the United States. I have gone to the Castillo de San Marco, and several of the old cemeteries in town and taken countless pictures of orbs and strange light phenomena. I do it for fun, and believe that these could be real hauntings, or ghostly entities of some sort, but I also think that if we decide we really want something to be what we want it to be, then it becomes that in our minds. I don't like to say there is no such thing as ghosts, but I also think the experiences could be explained in other ways. I am also open to the idea that these entities are in fact demons, and can appear any way they want in order to deceive. There aren't really any impossibilities as far as I'm concerned. And no new paragraphs, either.

I believe that ghosts exist but not "in them" as they can't do anything for me :m024:

I will say that I'm surprised at how many voted that they don't.

If you haven't voted it this poll, please take a moment and do so. Also any and all comments are welcome !

I never used to believe in ghosts until one night my ex and I were house sitting for her parents...we went to bed and in the room was one of those rolling clothes hangers with two stands and the bar in between...anyway, there were hanger on it but no clothes....just as we were drifting off it was as if someone violently hit all the hangers at once....my first thought was that my ex threw a pillow or an article of clothing but I jumped up and flipped on the light and there was nothing on the ground and she was on the opposite side of me so she was even further away.
No windows, no air conditioning, checked in the morning for earthquakes even...no explanation.

I just answered this.

No, but I do believe in the perception of fucked up things. Hallucinations and such.