Do you believe in ghosts?

Do you believe in ghosts?

• Yes I do believe in ghosts.

Votes: 83 51.6%
  • No I do not believe in ghosts

Votes: 78 48.4%

• Total voters
I knew you were just making fun.
I'm not defending religion per se. I really just wanted to make the point that people are people and usually not worthy/capable of representing an entire group. And that you find similar problems amongst other groups.

I wasn't trying to make fun of Catholics or say they are weird. I also think she is a nice lady. I was just wondering if Catholic churches taught believing in ghosts was blasphemous, and if it was in a text or part of a custom, or if it was an individual conclusion.

Hmm, that is odd. I'm not Catholic but Christian and I think maybe she was just embarrassed to say she fears the "ghost" or entity she sees because she believes it to be demonic, malevolent, inhuman in nature and fears you may think that is strange. Otherwise her reaction makes no sense unless she knows spiritually that she shouldn't believe in ghosts, but actually does and is simply conflicted or ashamed.

It seemed like she was saying believing in ghosts would betray God. She kept saying, "Because I'm Catholic. I'm very Catholic."
Also, the Holy Ghost seems to contradict this.

Anyway... I've derailed this, so back to ghosts.

I liked Casper, but he was friendly and it cost money to see him.

Ah, the spirits. Jesus did ask them to touch Him. There was a reason. The dead in Christ shall rise one day. I doubt they(we) will look like ghosts or zombies. Oh, death: where is thy sting?

I think literal translations point more to Holy Spirit, though we prayed to Him in the Baptist church. I claim to be a Christian. I think the key word to differentiate Holy Ghost and ghost is "Holy".

I liked Casper, but he was friendly and it cost money to see him.

Ah, the spirits. Jesus did ask them to touch Him. There was a reason. The dead in Christ shall rise one day. I doubt they(we) will look like ghosts or zombies. Oh, death: where is thy sting?

I think literal translations point more to Holy Spirit, though we prayed to Him in the Baptist church. I claim to be a Christian. I think the key word to differentiate Holy Ghost and ghost is "Holy".
I don't think it's just referring to the holy ghost though because it speaks of Hell as the second death, the first being of the physical body and the second being of the spirit, unless in Heaven, hence the term eternal life. The talk of God knowing us before we even existed, and in the womb lends credence to the fact that we are also spirits, flesh & bone aside. Note that he tells them he isn't a ghost. Why do this? If ghosts were not real He would have said it then I think. But I do respect whatever people believe here and to each their own, of course.

Luke 24:39 - Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself: handle me, and see; for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have.

Where does He tell them He is no ghost, please?

Reactions: InfernoMink
Growing up a catholic. Ghosts were simply a scare tactic. (which is like a haunted house... those from holloween.) The group tends to not believe in them but will expand the truth by putting the blame as a ghost to scare children... (i.e. "I witnessed a weird thing, my curtains were moving, it was a GHOST!" the kids scream and such. where in truth their experience was due to the window being open and it scared them so they wanted to emulate the feeling towards their children... then the children; being children will impose this to their friends and boom, "A Ghost at so and so's place."

It's usually these kind of things... Catholics love to lie to their children. In turn their children become not only liars but also dependant on their exposure; (which most children end up in a sheltered environment due to many limitations...) they'll develop various means of denying or exhibiting the heresy switch.

(the heresy switch is a really adept process that i have only ever seen catholics use with masterful precision. "I don't believe in ghosts; but i have seen them." or "I have yet to see one but i believe in ghosts... (followed by a whimsical or dry humour statement to include how agnostic they are on ghosts.)"

Oddly, i have never seen any other religious group of any path of life to have the hypocrisy (often in the same sentence.) as catholics tend to impose.

I guess it's because their church service is a pagan ritual. LOL

Reactions: InfernoMink and Asa
Ghosts exist whether you want them to or not.

Evidence: :ghost:

Case closed.

I am the ghost that haunts this forum.

Do any of the Catholics here care to explain?

On the topic of ghosts this weekend, an acquaintance stated that she is, "... Very religious so she does not believe in ghosts."
She then told us a ghost story. A place she had lived was haunted and she saw the ghost.
Me, "What did you see if you don't believe in ghosts?"
She also won't go into her basement because she is scared of [ghosts]. ...But, she is Catholic, so she doesn't believe in ghosts.

giphy.gif

Ah, when religion cripples your logical thought process. Ex catholic here, she is afraid of the devil. lol. Because ghosts are evil, so therefore they are the devil.
Cheap scare tactic for mental control over your children. That'll be $9.95.
Source: Catholic Elementary school student.

Christians should believe in ghosts because the Bible indicates that they are real and were probably scary.
Let’s look at Matthew 14:26:
“And when the disciples saw him (Jesus) walking on the sea, they were troubled, saying, It is a spirit; and they cried out for fear.”

So anyone saying, Christians shouldn’t believe in ghosts because it’s a pagan belief, are just wrong and should probably get off the internet and read their bibles more thoroughly instead because the disciples certainly believed in ghosts.

Reactions: Wyote