• No I do not believe in ghosts

Votes: 78 48.4%

• Total voters
As the resident ghost.
Yes.
Yes we do.

200w.gif

Hahaha what a cute ghost

It depends on what your definition of "ghost" is.
Everything that has existed, still exists.
But at a different wavelength.
Nothing dies. Ever. It merely changes.

I’ve thought this too but what about the rising populations of humans and animals? Are those “new” souls?

Reactions: InfernoMink
When I was little I saw this elderly lady in a field, sitting in a rocking chair. She had long snow white hair, and she was wearing a cornflower blue nightgown. She just sat and rocked for a long time watching me play across the street. When my mother called me inside, she asked what I had been coloring outside. I showed her the picture of the lady that I drew and asked if I could give it to her. When we went outside, both the elderly woman and the rocking chair were gone.

I have many stories like this.

Do I believe in ghosts? No. I believe in overactive imaginations. :sweatsmile:

I’ve thought this too but what about the rising populations of humans and animals? Are those “new” souls?
A lot of the energy in the universe is recycled, or so science tells us. The rain cycle itself is derived from condensation evaporation and then precipitation in neat little closed cycle and is indicative that whatever energy is expended is neatly recycled in a non wasteful process. Theoretically then one could argue in the case of reincarnation, I think, that there are a finite number of souls that exist and that they are routinely recycled.

Hence my idea of ghosts being 'stuck' in the process somewhere along the line, via attachment, longing, or sheer willpower.

At least that's my harebrained take.

I love yokai.

Generally speaking, most ghost stories from Japan have deeply rooted lore that causes a mass belief system which gives energy and power to the ghost and claim in order to for the lack of better words summon it.
One says the dead are just high energy entities that haven't left earth's realm yet, what's there not to believe. People believe in god or a god because there's either enough people believing; because they've
witnessed something transformative for them or others; because there's enough written evidence about the past to be convincing enough to believe it happened prior to them existing, hell, people believe in love the same way.

Definitely a thing.

Do any of the Catholics here care to explain?

On the topic of ghosts this weekend, an acquaintance stated that she is, "... Very religious so she does not believe in ghosts."
She then told us a ghost story. A place she had lived was haunted and she saw the ghost.
Me, "What did you see if you don't believe in ghosts?"
She also won't go into her basement because she is scared of [ghosts]. ...But, she is Catholic, so she doesn't believe in ghosts.

giphy.gif

On the topic of ghosts this weekend, an acquaintance stated that she is, "... Very religious so she does not believe in ghosts."
She then told us a ghost story. A place she had lived was haunted and she saw the ghost.
She also won't go into her basement because she is scared of [ghosts]. ...But, she is Catholic, so she doesn't believe in ghosts.

giphy.gif
She's Catholic. Whatever that's supposed to mean. People are something or another, but first and foremost people are just dumb.
I wont say people are illogical. Instead I'll say that people believe/say things as an end to a means.
You don't need to be Catholic to say stupid shit. Social media proves this thoroughly.

giphy.gif
Does she consider a ghost the same thing as a spirit/demon? Many consider ghosts as being humans stuck in a temporal half-life, whereas spirits/demons are the manifestations of evil in the world. Maybe she doesn't know the difference, or how to explain the difference in her thinking? lol.

Yeah, confusing. People are weird, and contradict themselves all the time. It's what makes interacting with them a headache sometimes. haha. Just smile and nod, smile and nod. :) :sweatsmile:

You don't need to be Catholic to say stupid shit. Social media proves this thoroughly.

:tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

I didn't know Catholics, specifically, do not believe in ghosts because it is blasphemous. I'm not sure how proof of an afterlife (ie ghosts) is blasphemous. I was curious about this aspect of the Catholic belief system.
The funniest part... to me, anyway... was that her house with the scary basement was once a brothel. (Beware the whore ghosts. I would legit hang out with cool, olde tymey sex worker ghosts. We'd just tell stories. don't get ideas.)

Does she consider a ghost the same thing as a spirit/demon?

I don't think she meant that the ghost was a demon. She seemed to associate ghosts with what nice people become after they die.

I also told her that ghosts (assuming they are real) can't hurt anyone because if they could it would happen all the time and it doesn't. Don't you think all the people responsible for historical atrocities would be killed by revenge-seeking ghosts if that were possible?

giphy.gif

@Asa I think her logic might be "when you die, you either to to heaven or hell".

But I think she also conflated that with the common Christian/Catholic sentiment that "supernatural shit is bad".

You're probably right, but as usual, I am doing my, "But where in the teaching does it say this?" questioning. (Don't worry. I'm not expecting you to tell me this. I just posted out of curiosity.)

:tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

I didn't know Catholics, specifically, do not believe in ghosts because it is blasphemous. I'm not sure how proof of an afterlife (ie ghosts) is blasphemous. I was curious about this aspect of the Catholic belief system.
The funniest part... to me, anyway... was that her house with the scary basement was once a brothel. (Beware the whore ghosts. I would legit hang out with cool, olde tymey sex worker ghosts. We'd just tell stories. don't get ideas.)

I don't think she meant that the ghost was a demon. She seemed to associate ghosts with what nice people become after they die.

I also told her that ghosts (assuming they are real) can't hurt anyone because if they could it would happen all the time and it doesn't. Don't you think all the people responsible for historical atrocities would be killed by revenge-seeking ghosts if that were possible?

giphy.gif
Hmm, that is odd. I'm not Catholic but Christian and I think maybe she was just embarrassed to say she fears the "ghost" or entity she sees because she believes it to be demonic, malevolent, inhuman in nature and fears you may think that is strange. Otherwise her reaction makes no sense unless she knows spiritually that she shouldn't believe in ghosts, but actually does and is simply conflicted or ashamed.

You're probably right, but as usual, I am doing my, "But where in the teaching does it say this?" questioning. (Don't worry. I'm not expecting you to tell me this. I just posted out of curiosity.)
I knew you were just making fun.
I'm not defending religion per se. I really just wanted to make the point that people are people and usually not worthy/capable of representing an entire group. And that you find similar problems amongst other groups.

I believe & have had loads of experiences since I was a small child and into adulthood. The bible even describes a scene where the disciples saw Jesus and thought he was a ghost and Jesus, in turn, tells them he has flesh and bones, unlike a ghost.

A lot of people from all types of faith are taught that all spirits are either good or evil, angelic or demonic. I think that is where the confusing behaviour is born.