Do you believe in ghosts?

Do you believe in ghosts?

• Yes I do believe in ghosts.

Votes: 83 51.6%
  • No I do not believe in ghosts

Votes: 78 48.4%

• Total voters
I just answered this.

No, but I do believe in the perception of fucked up things. Hallucinations and such.

Then we both would have been having a hallucination because it woke us both up....
if not a ghost then it must have been some sort of psychic something or other...

Resounding yes. There is no doubt in my mind. As I've mentioned in my blog, I spent a night in the Villisca Axe Murder House back in June (one of the most haunted places in the state). We captured several EVPs, including one of a male voice not even closely resembling any of the two men in the house at the time saying "I killed you"....just as an example. We also caught several of two female children talking back and forth, discussing us being in "their" house. The minute we walked in the house, we all stood in a circle in the kitchen area while the guide told us some history and we all noticed a ball making figure 8 motions on the floor in the middle of the circle for several minutes. We tried to recreate it later on to debunk it but we couldn't, the ball just sat there. I'd also like for any of the non-believers to explain why I've been awoken several times in the middle of the night usually right around 3am by knocking sounds on my interior walls, while everyone is asleep, coming from a completely unoccupied room. The other night, I also heard sounds of children playing out in my yard...at 2 in the morning. There is a strong possibility that my house used to be a one room schoolhouse, when it was first built back in the late 1800s.

I read through some of the other responses and it seems to me that what they are describing (the piano music and strange scents) are residual "hauntings". These are just basically "imprints" of things that have happened in the past there that are replaying, not intelligent spirits that one could communicate with (which I don't recommend anyway, to those who don't know what they're doing). Anyway, I don't expect anyone to change their minds just from what I've said, but what I got from the house in Villisca, to me, is absolute proof of their existence.

Reactions: hush
I believe there could be souls that remain on earth after death. Not really the way as Hollywood shows them... but in some form.

I believe in ghosts enough to find out who's the most reliable psychic dealing with hauntings to pay them to come inspect any property I'll ever decide to buy. :)

I've had a few experiences but the first major one with someone else:

I was sceptical about ghosts before my friend was given (for free!!!) an apartment in a great area downtown by a rich relative who couldn't stay there because her dog behaved so strangely in the house to the point she had to leave because the dog was so poorly. We were young and had just been allowed into bars so we spent quite a lot of time getting plastered downtown. We both lived far enough away that having a fun party house to crash in was just the best thing since sliced bread.
One day we were hanging out at the apartment and my friend who'd been living there a week was feeling a little antsy. I kept loosing my cigarettes and then my drink, then my lighter...etc... and finally I just said something about it aloud. My friend gave me a strange look and asked me had I noticed anything strange about the house. I said no. I mean it was a little creepy, but I get creepy feelings at times in places so I didn't think much of it. She seemed upset and said "I think there's a ghost in here. That's why I brought my Buddha for protection..." She had this plaster buddha given to her at a monastery by the head nun. I told her not to worry, though she seemed distraught, and told her It's ok, cause surely the Buddha will kick any ghost butt that wanders in.
We were laughing at this when the plaster buddha literally went flying through the air and landed with it's head severed.
The atmosphere changed and became really oppressive . In subsequent times I went there strange things really began to happen: Lights went on and off, the computer, tv and cd-player all acted wild turning on and off randomly. Doors cracked and things went missing constantly. My friend kept having nightmares where she'd get out of bed and go to the mirror hanging on the wall and seeing herself as a man and feeling really aggressive.
One night we came to crash there after a night out and there were literally tons of knives in the bed. We left very fast and I never came back. Finally my friend gave up and returned home to her parents.

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel presences of people who have passed away. I feel their emotions. It happens when I enter a room, place, etc. where they have left a lot of emotion. It's a little overwhelming depending on what emotions are there; fear, anger, love, sadness. It just seems to be something that happens to me. I have no idea why or what to do with it. I don't think I would call this experience ghosts though. When I think of ghosts I think of rattling chains, casper, etc., too much TV!

I do not believe in ghosts. That is, I don't believe in ghosts as the spirits of human dead. However I acknowledge the possibility of spirit beings that are not related to humans.

P.S I skimmed a few posts on my way down and in response to a few:
Knocking in walls: I get this almost every day, usually at night. I also hear rubbing and chewing noises. I can see how the initial reaction might be g-g-g-ghost but it turns out we have termites and a rat problem. Not the most exciting ending but there you go.
Waking up to sounds/sights: Personally, I wouldn't trust anything that I perceived in the short period after I woke. I once woke up convinced that I had gone for a walk and gone back to bed but I discovered that the door had been locked the entire time. Also, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucid_dream

ghost/spirits both human and nonhuman

I have seen and experienced enough that I have no doubt of their existence

Yes.

[video=youtube;4sKzPBu2M8A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sKzPBu2M8A[/video]

Years ago I sort of did, but now I don't at all. I guess you need to believe in an immortal soul before you believe in ghosts, and furthermore, that requires you believe in a bunch of other things.

why do you need to believe in an immoral soul? All things are energy, think atoms and work your way up.

I think the word Marinag is looking for is 'immortal'.

Yes, I think I do. I used to not believe that ghosts existed but I think existence is more complex than we realize.

When I lived in Hawaii on Hickam AFB (adjacent Pearl Harbor), the locals believed that spirits were on the base in certain places and did not want to go to certain houses after dark. I discounted it and thought it was just superstition and somewhat nonsensical.

But two things happened that I cannot explain to this day. The first thing was directly experienced by me: One night, around midnight, I went downstairs to get a drink of water. Everyone in the house was asleep - my two sons and my wife. When I went downstairs in the kitchen, I got my drink of water, put my glass in the sink and started to just leave the kitchen to go to the stairs and, all of a sudden, I heard this noise and, when I turned around to see what it was, it was the coffee pot that had just came on. needless to say, it was a little disconcerting to me as I puzzled what had just happened and was trying to understand why the coffee pot had just turned on. I surmised that it must have been the "on/off" switch that must have been left in a half-way position and it finally flipped over to the "on" position. I quickly turned it off and went up-stairs and decided to investigate this in the morning.

Well, in the morning, I went downstairs and tried to set the "on/off" switch to a middle position where it could possibly have been so that it could have eventually fell to the "on" side to explain what happened during the night. As much as I tried, the "on/off" switch could NOT be placed in a half-way position - it was either "ON" of "OFF"; there was no way of making it stay in-between.

To this day, I cannot explain what happened and still wonder what logical explanation could explain it.

The other incident happened to my wife, Arlene: One night as she lay in bed sleeping, she was woken-up by feeling of a hand squeezing the calf of her leg. She quickly woke up thinking it was one of our young sons. She woke up asking, "what is it? What do you need?" (thinking it was one of our little boys). There was no response to her inquiry nor did she see Justin or Taylor when she looked around the room. She then woke me up and told me that one of the boys must be awake but, when she went into their bedrooms to check on them, they were both sound asleep. She came back to bed and went back to sleep but was mystified because something clearly grabbed her leg and woke her out of her sleep.

These are the only two incidences I have ever encountered in my 47 years of being alive and they happened on Hickam AFB in the housing area where the locals believed spirits/ghost existed.

What was it? I do not know. Is there a logical explanation for it all? Possibly, but I could no longer discount a paranormal explanation either. Nothing like this ever happened before nor has it happened since so far.

I believe that there is much more to existence than we understand and even the line between life and death may be more intricate and complicated than we think or understand.

No, I have a functioning brain. I'm just kidding.

I think if ghosts existed there would definitely be evidence. Think of all the people who have died horribly, if ghosts were real, the beaches of Normandy would be packed with them.

I believe in them because I heard of a strange legend that someone died where I work, and they froze to death. I've seen shadows at times as if someone was around the corner, and nobody was there. Going back to the same spot I didn't see it. I have strange electrical disturbances with equipment around the SAME freaking spot and it's not like that spot is physically different than any other spots I go past. This is all just my thoughts, as it can't really be proved. And I'm no mechanic so meh. It could be all be in my head and mechanical issues, but it does make me nervous sometimes *twilight music*.

The last house I lived in was haunted. I even had (reputable) paranormal investigators check it out. Having said that, I tended to believe that most hauntings were simply cases of residual energy. However, there seemed to be some intelligence behind the things that happened at my house. It wasn't just repetitive sounds/actions. You could actually elicit a response sometimes. It was weird, but I never felt threatened by it, or any need to be afraid. It actually became somewhat comfortable.

yes

I believe in spirits; not sure if I believe about them manifesting themselves into see thru people and what-not; but I believe that energy or something is still left over after we pass....and that some are lost and can't go to wherever they are supposed to. I have had many experiences spiritually but only feeling; both what I feel to be complete and utter evil and also very peaceful and good. No visual or outright movement of inanimate objects...except for the ghost tour we went on once in Florida...we were supposedly channeling the spirit of a little girl who died in the place we were in; and she was playing with a ball on the floor. The ball was moving around the room from person to person...stopping in its tracks and moving the other way; to the next person on command. That was the only tangible thing I've ever seen.

Reactions: tfg345i4u5lw