[PAX] - Astrology Q&A | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

[PAX] Astrology Q&A

Reactions: dream echo
More on Modalities

This post contains more information on the modalities of cardinal, fixed and mutable signs. It also includes a bit of delineation on the emphasis and deficits of the modalities, or quadruplicities, in a chart.

One thing to keep in mind while counting up our totals is the theory that we sometimes become what we want (or lack) and we do what we can (or have to do).

Basics on Modalities

Cardinal Signs

The cardinal signs are associated with starting things, initiating things or being "enterprising". They are forceful and aggressive and have the will to accomplish something, often something new. They project into the world. They are creative in the sense that they cause things and start things.

Aries people will do this energetically and urgently (or impatiently). They cannot wait to do what they have in mind to do and that which is motivated by their enthusiasm.

Cancerians are emotionally assertive. They project emotion in a protective and sensitive way.

Librans do it in a balanced way, considering the viewpoints of others. Because they are people of air, they are more likely to project in a verbal way, compared with Aries who take action on their enthusiasm. Librans will tend to use language to cause others to take the necessary action.

Capricorn projects in a practical, down to earth manner. It takes action based on practical need, and success.

Fixed Signs

The fixed signs are concerned with maintaining something, changing things so they are the same as before, or stabilizing things. Fixed and changed appear to be contradictory. Imagine a house. Every day it gets untidy and dirty. In order to keep it in its "normal" state, it must be changed - cleaned, tidied, etc - so it remains the same. A body needs to be regularly fed and watered if it is to maintain its state of being alive. There appears to be no change because there is a lot of change directed to maintain a state, such as a clean house and a living body. Another example is a field. If the field is not maintained (lots of change, like ploughing, setting seed, weeding, etc) then the field will disappear as Nature reclaims it. What is fixed is the clean house, the living body and the field. What is changed is all the things that keep, for example a field, a field and not a wilderness.

Taurus wants to make the products of the self, sometimes material wealth, permanent and fixed. Taureans do not like changes in their wealth. You might think this is true of everyone, however some people do not measure their lives by the wealth they accumulate and these people are far less upset than Taureans when their personal wealth is threatened.

Leo wants to keep its personal power. It wants to be impressive and creative and keep this relationship with others. It makes changes so that it remains in its power state.

Scorpio is fixed in terms of their emotional reactions. It feels more secure when they know what feelings others have. Scorpio makes changes, that is, seeks to know the deep emotions that others have which motivates them.

Aquarius wants to keep their beliefs, etc concerning humanity fixed. Aquarians seek to keep their friends. If they are revolutionaries, then they remain revolutionaries.

Mutable Signs

Mutable signs are concerned with changing things into something else. This is not transforming as much as it moving on to something else. The emphasis is on adaptability in the sense that while the fixed signs resist change, the mutable signs accept it. The mutable signs end a cycle and lead on to the beginning of the new quadruplicity. While the fixed signs adapt the environment to their needs, wants and goals, the mutable signs adapt their needs, wants and goals to the environment. If the field grows weeds, they adapt themselves to them. And if the field becomes a wilderness, they adapt themselves to the wilderness. In this way they cease to make the changes necessary to keep things as they are, and allow almost any kind of change. This is true of all the mutable signs. This is not to say that mutable signs never resist change, or that they never try to achieve goals at odds with the environment, but it is to say they are more likely to give up or to give in than the fixed signs are.

Gemini is a sign of the air and therefore is concerned with communication, words and the mind. Gemini’s will adapt themselves to their environment and therefore not cause things to persist.

Virgo is critical and analytical. In this way, Virgo brings to an end something which was previously believed.

Sagittarius is the ninth sign. It is a sign of fire. While it is a seeker of knowledge, its key phrase is "I know". Sagittarius brings about the end of ignorance by discovering the truth, according to Sagittarius so that it seeks final knowledge (the end of knowledge).

Pisces brings about the end of emotions through dissolving into the oneness of all things.

Emphasis and Deficits in Modalities

Cardinal Signs:

Aries, Cancer, Libra, Capricorn.

People with a heavy emphasis in cardinal signs are self-starters, doers. They initiate and get things moving. Folks with few planets in cardinal signs may have trouble getting the ball rolling.

Fixed Signs:
Taurus, Leo, Scorpio, Aquarius.

People with a heavy emphasis in fixed signs hang onto and preserve life. They are at the center of things and are hard to budge. Folks with few planets in fixed signs may have trouble persevering and lack stick-to-it-ive-ness.

Mutable Signs:

Gemini, Virgo, Sagittarius, Pisces.

People with a heavy emphasis in mutable signs are on the move and transformative. They communicate and assist things to change. Folks with few planets in mutable signs may have trouble adapting or being flexible.

Hmm.

This is something that I'm wondering;

I have the astro.com one (two, actually), but strangely the chart and the order changes between one and the other (the other was made earlier and on a guest account, though). I'm sure the date and time are the same between those two, but.. :| It makes me confused, because the reading they give were very different.

The report was generated with the following birth data: Male, born on 17 January 1991 at 7:00 am in Jakarta, Indonesia.Your sun sign is Capricorn. This is the sign in which the Sun is in your birth chart. Your Ascendant is in Aquarius, and your Moon is also in Aquarius.
Moon in the First House
Moon Conjunct Ascendant
Venus in the First House
Jupiter Opposition Ascendant
Sun in the Twelfth House
Saturn in the Twelfth House

VS

The report was generated with the following birth data: Male, born on 17 January 1991 at 7:00 am in Jakarta, Indonesia. Your sun sign is Capricorn. This is the sign in which the Sun is in your birth chart. Your Ascendant is in Aquarius, and your Moon is also in Aquarius.

Venus in the First House
Venus Conjunct Ascendant
Jupiter Opposition Ascendant
Sun in the Twelfth House
Moon in the Twelfth House
Moon Conjunct Ascendant
Saturn in the Twelfth House
Is it possible for, say, a chart to be different between different time (of reading?)

[MENTION=2172]Trifoilum[/MENTION]

As I cannot see the charts themselves, I can't say for certain, but my best guess is that two different house systems were used in the construction of each chart.

Question: Is the ascendant the same (by sign and degree) on both charts?
Question: Does it state web style/ Placidus on one chart and not the other?
Question: Did you get your charts from the same or different sites?

@Trifoilum

As I cannot see the charts themselves, I can't say for certain, but my best guess is that two different house systems were used in the construction of each chart.

Question: Is the ascendant the same (by sign and degree) on both charts?
Question: Does it state web style/ Placidus on one chart and not the other?
Question: Did you get your charts from the same or different sites?
I don't have the first one's charts. :( (I have the personal report, but not the chart.)
The ascendant seems to be the same, but I can't say for the degree.
The second one, however, does have Placidus on the chart. (Astrodienst/Placidus, to be exact.)
And yes, I get my charts from the same site.

The only real discrepancy I can see is whether the moon is actually in the first or 12th house. But either way it is conjunct your ascendant, and the statements regarding that position are valid. The first one does not state that Venus conjuncts your ascendant, but it should.

Sometimes reports will put a planet in the following house, even though it is technically in another by exact degree. This is because the planet is judged to be affecting both houses as it is on the cusp.

Placidus is the house system I use with chart calculation, others use Koch, or Porphyry or the Equal House System. There are others, but those are the most common, and Astrodienst uses Placidus by default.

Also, be aware that not all report programs include all the same information. Some are cheaper and only include a random or most important collection of aspects, some have different orb allowances for aspects, etc.

So long as your information is correct (I'm wondering about the exact 7:00 am birth time, but that's a completely different question), I would judge the second chart most accurate (though not much different than the first, really). Were I to do an interpretation based reading, that is the one I would personally use.

Hope this helps you out! :)

Reactions: Trifoilum
lolwut

astro_w2gw_01_sloe_hp.72367.701.gif

Not meaning to steal any analysis from sloe djinn, just putting my chart out there. I used to be more interested in astrology, and I'm coming back around to it more now. There are some things I know about myself and what my chart says just curious to see what someone else sees.

33xc8l1.gif

Can't get mine to post for some reason. Will try again later.

Reactions: Peppermint
Not meaning to steal any analysis from sloe djinn, just putting my chart out there. I used to be more interested in astrology, and I'm coming back around to it more now. There are some things I know about myself and what my chart says just curious to see what someone else sees.

The first thing I noticed was the Sun square the ascendant...you might not always come across as you intend to. When younger, you might have been accused of having an attitude or being arrogant or overbearing, perhaps from a defense mechanism stemming from childhood. Sometimes what you want to express is interpreted the wrong way, but if you are aware of this discrepancy and soften your manner, your personal relationships do improve.

Also, it's not surprising that you are feeling the drive to study astrology a bit, as transiting Uranus is conjuncting natal Mars in your ninth house. Are you currently in school or thinking about starting or changing your course of studies? Or just seeking/learning online in general?

Just something to think on, no need to answer if you're not comfortable. :)

I don't make the best first impressions. Like I read somewhere, INFJ, cold on the outside, warm on the inside. I'm not so crazy about sharing. People usually make the assumption that I'm arrogant, which is wrong. But I'm not going to feel bad about other people's misconceptions. I'm pretty blunt and I try to soften it up most of the time. I am intense....and I'm going to grad school this fall :)

I've never been able to pin what pattern I have in my chart, splash, locomotive or whatever, can you see it? I've just never been sure.

I've always enjoyed that I have Mars in Aries and Venus in Libra. Also Jupiter was in retrograde in Gemini when I was born, so my communication isn't always the best. Spoken is the worst probably. I need to think out how I want to say something before I do...so it's something to work on.

I'm glad you see the difficult parts of your chart as parts of yourself to work on. I've known too many people who say, yep, that's just how I am. Frustrating.

As far as your chart pattern, I can see why you are having difficulty in determining this. Part of it looks like the bundle type, part of appears like the bucket, but it fits the criterion of neither. I'd actually like to create a new type for you and call it the basket, because that's what your chart looks like to me, lol! But seriously, I would categorize you as a splay pattern type.

As far as the Venus in Libra, Mars in Aries...yes, I it's nice when they're in their own signs and work comfortably there, but the opposition this causes tends to be anything but. That whole love/hate, socially awkward, and bad timing stuff gets really annoying with Venus/Mars hard aspects. But the passion that builds there can be a great channel for the drive of creative expression.

I just gotta say...what's with all these splay patterns with Scorpio type people?
All you guys are intense, lol!

[MENTION=751]Peppermint[/MENTION]

Not sure how much of you you'd like me to do, lol, so I'll just holla what jumps out at me, and if you have anything particular you'd like to know...post here or pm me.

I take it that the normal Gemini stuff never wholly applied to you. You're a lot deeper and darker emotionally than your sun sign alone indicates, and not as flighty as some Gemini's are accused of being. Not saying you're not flexible, but there's more of a steadiness here.

In love relationships you may have difficulty in letting go, maybe because you think you're undeserving of something better. The trust and honesty you require is hard to come by with some of the superficial people in your life. They are seeing the random parts of your personality coming out; you keep the other parts more hidden. You both love and hate with passion, each in generous doses. Maybe you wonder why relationships seem to come on go with disturbing frequency.

You have a Virgo MC with Mercury direct, but Saturn retrograde and the Sun very close to the eighth house...not sure if your father/figure passed away or just left...I'm sorry for whatever exactly happened here.

You are creatively talented, but are working on the self-discipline part; I'm thinking mental discipline is far easier for you. Just don't promise more than you can deliver and try to be discriminating when it comes to the people around you who may try and take advantage of your generosity. This is especially true when it comes to religion, finances and controlled substances.

2455692697094.gif

If you aren't busy can you give me some insight into my chart? :]

Nice Jill, another Scorpio, because being an INFJ wasn't intense enough...you are 4 days older than my sister and probably a bit similar to her. Though she is an ENFJ.

[MENTION=3240]Jill Hives[/MENTION]

I'd say you come off as pretty knowledgeable and studious. Family and your growing up years are a big part of your identiy, even though your family life had a lot of changes or was somehow unstable. Idk if you moved around a lot or if there was some other abrupt and confusing circumstances here. But you seem to be very driven towards trying to figure out yourself and your values emotionally and attempt to gain some stability.

You are likely very witty and imaginative and have a hard time integrating logic with your emotions. Most of your struggles are contained within your mind and you might find decision making difficult. You probably feel yourself to be moody and hypersensitive, especially when it comes to criticism. I'm willing to bet you make a charmingly kooky friend.

Self-knowledge is important to you, and you have such an intense personality. You likely feel a pull between the rational/irrational, head/heart and who you instinctually are vs. who you think you should be.

Reactions: Jill Hives
Nice Jill, another Scorpio, because being an INFJ wasn't intense enough...you are 4 days older than my sister and probably a bit similar to her. Though she is an ENFJ.
Haha, yeah, intense is a good way to describe it...oi.