American thoughts on Europe? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

American thoughts on Europe?

Do you have jokes about Europeans in general or about specific countries?
In America, places that had a heavy concentration of immigrants in the early 1900's tend to have jokes about those nationalities.

For instance, I have relative in Connecticut where there was an influx of Polish immigrants, so consequently, they tend to have a heavy concentration of "dumb Pollack" jokes.

I grew up in a town that at one time was 75% French immigrants, so we have a lot of "dumb Frenchmen" jokes. Basically, it just adds up to people making fun of other people, which I find hurtful. I don't think Polish people or French people etc. are any less smart than the people who were already here. They were just different. I believe the language and culture barriers caused the problems. Since my family is of French heritage, I don't particularly care for 'dumb Frenchmen' jokes. What's kind of strange though is that a lot of times, the person telling the joke is French!! It IS good to learn to laugh at ourselves... :smile:

Yes the chocolate is the best in the world in my opinion. We speak Dutch, french and a little part speaks German. About the lace, no, not that I'm aware of :becky:
http://www.belgium-mapped-out.com/belgian-lace.html
"After the Belgian chocolate and the Belgian French fries, Belgian Lace is a very well known product from Belgium. The chocolate and the French fries will be found at almost every street corner, but the Belgian lace is much harder to find. It can be found in Bruges, Ghent, around Aalst, in Brussels and in Antwerp."

Interestingly, I've never heard of Belgian fries... though I do LOVE the waffles! :becky:

I've been to Europe many times over the years, mostly for business. I was in Rome about two months ago.

In general, Americans tend to be provincial and, compared to citizens of other developed countries, are relatively ignorant about the rest of the world. For example, I would bet that less than 10% of Americans could identify more than five countries on an unlabeled map of Europe. Indeed, I bet that less than 1% of Americans could locate Iraq and Afghanistan on an unlabeled map.

OTOH, there are many highly educated, curious and engaged Americans who are worldly and cosmopolitan. I have found in my business travels that there is a class of people in science, commerce, academics, etc. that is almost transnational. That is, these people are erudite and sophisticated and the US is not lacking them.

I have been to Belgium several times and particularly enjoy La Grand-Place in Brussels. The food is fantastic, the beer is great, and the chocolate is the best in the world, no question about it. One thing that is difficult to understand is the extreme antipathy between the Flemish and the Walloons.

It seems to me that Europeans enjoy themselves on a moment to moment basis more than Americans do. Although this may be changing. I think that life is more hectic in the US and we retain a strong puritan ethic (e.g., blaming poor people for their poverty, deprecating vacations, etc.).

Point of interest; Holland is not a country. The Netherlands is a country. Holland is the name for two of the provinces in the Netherlands. North and South Holland.

Always mentally associated Belgium with Germany for some reason.

Apart from this, from the little i remember, it was a once powerful empire. What's very interesting is the influence of Belgium, especially King Leopold on the African continent, especially Hutu/Tutsi relations. An eye-opening look to say the least.

I read the following book for a class. It's very good.

King Leopold's Ghost: A Story of Greed, Terror, and Heroism in Colonial Africa by Adam Hochschild (Paperback - Oct 1999)

Last edited:
This is actually Janet, I screwed up my original account. Long story, wrong place to explain... will try to resolve later.

But...I both agree and disagree with some of these posts. I've worked with people from Belgium, and traveled a little in Europe, and I honestly cannot remember a single time when I heard anyone in the states initiate a joke about other countries. Sure, we'll "snark if provoked" to steal a line. But as far as deliberately picking on foreigners? Europeans in particular? We don't really do that. Even here in the deep south.

There are parts of the country with lots of immigrants. In one part of rural Iowa, the Swedish-Americans pick on the Norwegian-Americans and they both pick on the Irish-Americans. It's like a whole frikkin twilight zone of blonde ethnic infighting that is incomprehensible to anyone who has not lived it.

I used to work with a French guy and he would make this "stereotypically" French sounding guttural "uhhh huuuh huuuhhh" sound... you know, like a cheesy movie about the womanizing Frenchman? It would never fail to leave me ROFLMAO. Never. He had a great sense of humor. He OWNED the stereotype.

I've also worked with Belgians and people from Copenhagen, and I know (according to them, not me) Belgium is like France with good beer. Also, I was tricked into eating this sort of salty-tasting hard candy licorice-like stuff, do you know what I mean? Ugh. Something we do not have here. They thought that was hilarious. Made up for it with a nice box of chocolates, thank you. :nod:

I went to Paris and got pickpocketed. Otherwise, everyone was nice though I really expected a lot of hating on Americans.

I know several people who have had friends/foreign exchange students/au pairs from other parts of the world, including Europe, and in many cases these resulted in lifelong friendships. The only "hated" one was a young woman from South Africa, who evidently was used to being waited on hand and foot.

Oh, yes, and there have been several cases where some young male foreign exchange students expected immediate and copious sex from American girls. Evidently they were led to believe this is how it is in the state.

My parents travel extensively and have come back with quite a few stories. Generally, (making humoungous generalizations here... please forgive...) Irish people are beloved as being amongst the friendliest Europeans, while the Britons appear a little standoffish and nationalistic. Blah... blah... blah... Scottish people are frugal, blah.. blah... blah... Italians drive too fast, the Germans are good at engineering, blah... blah... blah... I wish people would think for themselves rather than relying on idiotic stereotypes.

Anyone -- American or otherwise -- who has any experience of the world at all is usually capable of thinking beyond stereotypes.

Last edited:
I have been wondering for a while, how Europe is seen in the big united states. Do you guys have something like: "ow look at that, all those iny miny little countries, with there own flag and language playing together, it is so cute? :becky:

So:
1. what are the "American thoughts about Europe, the Europian Union, Euro's, ...?

2. Is there a difference in perspective between east coast, west coast, North, South?

3. And (I'm really curious) Did any one of you ever heard about Belgium before? (Or did you believe that Belgium was the capital of Brussels (I have heard that one before :smile:)? And if so, what do you know about Belgium (without googles help!)?

I've lived in Europe for about a year, so I'm a little biased :D But here's what I see from the people around me:

1. Americans tend to not know a whole lot about European geography, especially because it is composed of a lot of itty bitty countries that can be hard to keep track of :B But we tend to think of Europeans in terms of country -- stereotypes for the French are different from the British and the Germans and the Spaniards, etc. We don't really think much about the European Union, though; it seems like just another group of countries that monitors stuff. We're used to that.

Many Americans also idealize European politics and government. It's different and there are a few things I'd like to implement (such as the many-party systems), but it's really not all glory and perfection and happiness. It's just different, with different pros and cons.

2. I'm from the midwest, and the people here probably have a different prospective from other parts of the country. Many of the stereotypes are still the same, though.

3. Before I went to Europe, I knew about Belgium waffles and chocolate and that they spoke Flemish (because that was a fun word :D). But yeah, we do know about Belgium -- it's just a rather small country, and we don't really tend to know a lot about the government or geographics of the country as a whole. I learned a lot when I went there, though.

1. what are the "American thoughts about Europe, the Europian Union, Euro's, ...?

2. Is there a difference in perspective between east coast, west coast, North, South?

3. And (I'm really curious) Did any one of you ever heard about Belgium before? (Or did you believe that Belgium was the capital of Brussels (I have heard that one before :smile:)? And if so, what do you know about Belgium (without googles help!)?

1. Find an American that cares enough about any of that, and I will call him an investment banker!

2. I was born in the South and went to school here. The food is wonderfully fattening, the people are a lot more polite than up North, and we have a lot of stupid motherfuckers. I'd like to move up North (where my mom is from), but it is fucking cold. I've never met anyone from the midwest. People from the west coast that I've met remind me of people I see in movies and tv.

3. I thought Brussels was in Belgium. I like Belgian chocolate a lot. We have you to thank for Jean Claude Van Damme and all his mildly amusing and thoroughly shit movies.

I love Europe, the food, the culture is gorgeous. I have a lot of family there as well in France, Germany, Italy, Ireland, and Poland. My Memere immigrated to the USA when she was 20 years old from France, so I grew up hearing a lot about European culture and "how much better it is" then American culture. And while I may agree in some regards, I do have to admit I get pretty sick of Europeans looking down on the US just because we currently rule the roost. Other then that though I LOOOOOVE Europe. I plan to go there this Spring for a vacation again, London, Amsterdam, Berlin, and Stockholm. Stockholm was added recently by the girl I am seeing who's family are Swedes. She wants to come too :p

I dont know much ab out Belgium but I like Jean Claude Van Damme, and eating Fries with mayonaise is a GOOD thing. :D

and eating Fries with mayonaise is a GOOD thing. :D
Yay another one has seen the light! Whenever foreigners come to visit me in the Netherlands they're all "ewww" about fries with mayo. Then I get them some, and they can't get enough.

Yay another one has seen the light! Whenever foreigners come to visit me in the Netherlands they're all "ewww" about fries with mayo. Then I get them some, and they can't get enough.

Hehe I grew up with a French Memere ;) I like a lot of stuff Americans find unconventional, we used to eat a rabbit and a goose for Thanksgiving when she cooked. :D

Reactions: INTJMom
I've travelled to England, Scotland, France, and am going to Copenhagen this weekend. I love visiting different countries in Europe.

Lately I've been developing an interest in the Scandinavian countries - I think it's because of the music I've been listening to.

Oh, and by the way, in case anyone is interested, here is a ranking of the international cities with the best standard of living:

http://www.cnbc.com/id/30584321?slide=1

It's done by Mercer Consulting http://www.mercer.com/home.htm

Just kind of interesting.

Lol! A lot of duplicate countries on that list, which is kind of nice. I've been to a few of those places and I would totally agree with the list. But Vancouver is *expensive*, man! And good luck trying to find a house out there...

Generally speaking, I don't think we spend a lot of time thinking on Europe, the EU, the euro, etc. We are (unfortunately) a very self-absorbed country. It's so big and there is so much going on that we have plenty right here to occupy our time and thoughts. This does not mean that we spend our time and attention on quality things though--quite the opposite.

With the damn 24/7 news channels now, they have to constantly CREATE news. We are constantly bombarded with items that, 20 years ago, would have been local stories only. I feel for every missing and abused child, but do not wish to be updated (with all the gruesome detail) every hour on the hour! No, we only hear about Europe and the rest of the world if it is a major story. Most of the time its about the next idiot mutherfucker who decides to fake his kid getting launched in a homemade ballon so he can get a TV series! Ok, enough rant....back to topic.

I think a lot of us in this country are of european descent still (though that's changing) and identify with the countries of our ancestors. I am Irish and Slovic, and identify with those two. I tend to pay more attention to news and information concerning them. I would love to visit Europe (and esp. Ireland) someday. I love old things and Europe is full of them compared to the USA.

I personally have not met a lot of true blue Europeans. But I find that generally people are much more similar than we think, more than sterotype would lead us to believe. That's what I love about the internet, it helps break some of those barriers down.

I find Spanish and Italian women to be the sexiest. Germans to be the most intelligent. Greeces to be the most funloving. Slavs/Polish to be the most down to earth. Britons to be the most uptight. French to be the most perplexing. These are based on limited interaction and outside observation. You did ask.

Reactions: Blind Bandit

I was never a big fan of that, but I also don't really like mayo as a rule :B

But the Canadians have some good stuff going with fries and gravy. That's actually quite delicious!

can you explain this a bit?

There are many europeans that see America with due nuance. But there are also people who see the US in completely black and white terms. These are the people I am referring too, those who think all americans are stupid fat xenophobic slobs. They disgust me it is a silly and hypocritical way of looking at things.
The rest of europe I can chill with.

Do you meand that Europeans still act colonial towards America and the rest of the world?

Rethinking thing it probably took the imperial system more time to die down in some countries then in others. I was specifically as french action in vietnam as obviously imperial. I can't really think of many other examples off the top of my head. So my guess is that it just took longer for imperial pretensions to die down in france.

I think it is true for the rest of the world. We want to help to develop the rest of the world but they never can get better than us, we need to have the leading position.

Maybe I should think or clarify my view on that one. Is europe still imperial? hmmmmm well the US definitely is I am not trying to deny that.
I think the question is kind of a complex one.

Google away!

America is a country that should be handled with care or it is going to bite :becky:

The power really isn't in our hands. The way we run an empire is just crazy.

I beg your pardon? The world wide economical crisis is caused by the American real estate crisis ;-)

That was the direct cause of the crisis but as far as I am aware the bigger problem is the widespread gambling away of US capital. And unregulated generation of US capital.

I am not trying to blame Europe the economic crisis you asked what I thought of euro's remember. The US is fighting tooth and nail to prevent oil producing countries from switching to euro's it would have a really negative effect on the dollar.

Which would probably make everything worse. Then again my understanding of international finance is pretty half assed. It just seems to make sense that the fall of a major international currency would suck. Because our financial institutions deal in these things, they are already in a crappy way.

It is football for the whole world except for America ;-). So is this an other example of Americans delusions of grandeur ;-)
No no not delusions of grandeur it just us soccer period end of discussion.

Don't make me use my light saber! :mjedir:
Are you really threatened by the EU. To me it seems like we are a little bug that stings America from time to time but never really hurts. About Iraq and other issues like guantanamo, Israel and stuff, whole Europe disagrees with the US, not only France (only France dare to say it out loud). Except for Great Brittain. They still seems to think that America is there backyard...

The reason that the US is always thumbing its nose at the UN is that it is really the only thing that can challenge US hegemony.

I see it as an effort to contain UN power. But the same thing goes for the EU. Imagine if all of Europe were to find a way to economically blockade the US we'd be completely screwed. Although I am not personally threatened by the EU, I look forward to the day that the US is put in its place.

The US us threatened by anything that can hurt it's economic interests the EU certainly qualifies.

Imagine if europe were suddenly call back all the loans it made to the US. we'd be fucked two ways. I think europeans have more cards in their hands then you realize. Then again I don't think Europe would do that, because a lot of people get rich off of US recklessness.

I was never a big fan of that, but I also don't really like mayo as a rule :B

But the Canadians have some good stuff going with fries and gravy. That's actually quite delicious!

We do the fries with gravy here to in Michigan. But parts of Mich are practically Canadian. Ever hear of a pasty? They rock (especially with gravy)!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pasty

300px-Cornish_pasty.jpeg

That actually sounds really good -- kind of like pot pie, only not in pot shape :B I'll have to try that someday.

An American has to add: Ohh and a ball could also be oval.

:)

I've often wondered at that one.

Why call it football if your not using your feet and the ball is really an oval.

Maybe we should call oval toss. Or yard lemon.
:mjedir:

Here is another one for yah. why is it that the US acts so peeved at France all the time.
France did play a major role in us winning our independence one would think we'd be a bit more respectful. Or at least less belligerent when talking about the country that is partly responsible for our existence.

Someone should tell that to Bill O'Rielly