Morgain

defective wisdom
Donor
Aug 20, 2009
MBTI
INFJ again
Enneagram
4w5
I have been wondering for a while, how Europe is seen in the big united states. Do you guys have something like: "ow look at that, all those iny miny little countries, with there own flag and language playing together, it is so cute? :becky:

So:
1. what are the "American thoughts about Europe, the Europian Union, Euro's, ...?

2. Is there a difference in perspective between east coast, west coast, North, South?

3. And (I'm really curious) Did any one of you ever heard about Belgium before? (Or did you believe that Belgium was the capital of Brussels (I have heard that one before :smile:)? And if so, what do you know about Belgium (without googles help!)?

3. And (I'm really curious) Did any one of you ever heard about Belgium before? (Or did you believe that Belgium was the capital of Brussels (I have heard that one before :smile:)? And if so, what do you know about Belgium (without googles help!)?
I've heard of it. As for what I know about it.. very little I'm afraid, except that it's right beside the Netherlands and .. 'waffles'. :(

I tend to think of Europe as being a bit more cultured and enlightened...perhaps it's the scope of history that would seems much more present. Perhaps this isn't so, but I think it might be. I mean, they do have Formula One...and we have NASCAR.

Last edited:
I have been wondering for a while, how Europe is seen in the big united states. Do you guys have something like: "ow look at that, all those iny miny little countries, with there own flag and language playing together, it is so cute? :becky:

So:
1. what are the "American thoughts about Europe, the Europian Union, Euro's, ...?

2. Is there a difference in perspective between east coast, west coast, North, South?

ROFLMAO!! :D

I have to laugh, if only because I love to travel. I've been to Europe several times, although I admit I've never been to Belgium. And yes, I've heard of Belgium. ;)

Probably the most critical thing I've heard is that it's prejudiced against outsiders...but that could be said of many countries (including the US).

I can't speak for all Americans. We have a *huge*, diverse view of Europe as Americans - and much is divided along political lines. I love it, because it was so diverse for me. I loved being able to go on the Eurail and travel across to different countries in a matter of hours. I loved backpacking and going to different shops, and I loved learning about cultures and their differences.

Last edited:

So:

When I was younger, I didn't know very much about Europe.
I know a little more now.
For instance, I know that Belgium is famous for their chocolate.
And they speak French there?

I guess that's all I know.

I went to London and Paris in 1977 for one week.

I think the European Union is a thing that makes trade among those nations easier... and that goes for Euros, too.

Is Belgium famous for their lace? Or is that a different country?

What's this Europe you speak of?

So:

1. They have awesome accents and that they are good allies (the allies part is my opinion).

2. I'm not sure, people vary.

3. No.

So:

I think Europe could be a rather interesting place. A place I would like to visit.

I think Europe is doing some things better than we are.

I wouldn't know I'm from the northwest. And the stupid seems to infect this country like no other.

I drink Belgian beer so yes I have.

So:

I don't know what most Americans think about Europe. We hate the French (stupid French), adore the Italians, think Spain and Greece is beautiful (some other countries too), think its cool to visit the UK (and like their accents), think Sweden/Norway are the Canada of Europe, want to smoke pot in Denmark, and generally want to avoid Eastern Europe, especially Russia (I'm sorry- this isn't my opinion alone). We also think people in Switzerland are very uptight and that everything runs perfectly in Switzerland- like one gigantic fancy clock. Germany is cool too.

Yes, the Deep South probably has their own opinion, but whatever it is, it is probably stupid.

Yes, everyone I know has heard of Belgium. Some people I know are going to Lille, and they'll take the train to Belgium on the weekend. I've heard good things about Belgium.... except in my French classes.

:becky: thanks for all your replies!

Solar Empath said:
've heard of it. As for what I know about it.. very little I'm afraid, except that it's right beside the Netherlands and .. 'waffles'. :(
its under the Netherlands actually :smile: but the waffles are ours! njam

arbygil said:
Probably the most critical thing I've heard is that it's prejudiced against outsiders...
That's through, we are very closed and reserved. And embarrassed about all the bad and stupid things that happened hear and afraid of what other countries may think of us. But as long as your knowledge ends with Belgium bear and chocolates, everything is ok :becky:

INTJMom said:
For instance, I know that Belgium is famous for their chocolate.
And they speak French there?
Is Belgium famous for their lace?
Yes the chocolate is the best in the world in my opinion. We speak Dutch, french and a little part speaks German. About the lace, no, not that I'm aware of :becky:

I drink Belgian beer so yes I have.
you rock :becky:

Yes, everyone I know has heard of Belgium. Some people I know are going to Lille, and they'll take the train to Belgium on the weekend. I've heard good things about Belgium.... except in my French classes.
I live very close to Lille :m129:

About the Europe part, It doesn't seem like you have a heated opinions or deep knowledge about it. All you have described is exactly what we believe the American opinions are. The more stereotyped, cute little Europe kind of thing. How can that be? Is it because everyone is ok with Europe and it doesn't really matter a great deal to America? Or do you have this with every foreign country? It is strange, Europeans are very opiniated about America and discussions about it can be very heated. Probably that is because America is Europese big brother that we have to consider and watch out for :becky:

I went to europe 6 years ago, it was lovely! Went to Holland, Belgium, France, and Germany. Europe has a "feel" in my mind that I always remember. I can't describe it because it is a time-placement memory, and those are distinct and nondescript for each person. Nevertheless, I loved it there.

I remember thinking that there are a lot of social rituals that are ignored, and there are a lot of new social rituals that I was not familar with. Overall I got the impression that people there were much more laid back, calm, and not so big on rushing around with everything. In a way it was refreshing. I always look at europe as being more "cultured" and organized, and things being much more placid and "motherly". I could easily live in europe and be very happy.

My own thoughts about europe are rather complex. so ill just list them.

Ancient fascinating societies, the architecture is much better their, europeans really know how to eat a meal, I am sick of europeans having hypocritical ignorant attitudes toward the US, Europeans tried to conquer the world once, Americans are misplaced europeans.

*Takes breath*

European society had civilized a great deal since the end of world war two. Certain factions of european society still have imperialist ideals, which reflects in policy from time to time. If we were to trade oil in euros the dollar would cease to be a hard currency. Investment banks would suffer, and that is were we get our loans from, the world economy runs on loans. If our financial institutions were to suffer we would all suffer.

Don't switch to the euro their is a better way.

Or am I exaggerating?

It is soccer not football.
:m044:

So:

We are threatened by the EU. We get pissed when europe gets out of line. Like when france disagreed with us over Iraq. We can't handle dat shit. Europe is a valuble market for american companies. The capitalist societies you all live in designed to be trading partners with the US after world war two. You are very much under our thumb, but you can fight back through powerful institutions like the EU.

Not a discernable one

I've heard of Belgium before my mom lived in belgium when she was little. She always tell stories about the place. Apparently they sell waffles on the sidewalk and eat french fries with vinegar. I've also read some really good belgian cartoons, band dessiness? I have no idea how to spell it. They speak french and dutch there and some other one. It a relatively small but beautiful country. And brussels is the capital of Belgium not the other way around.

now we are talking !!!

My own thoughts about europe are rather complex. so ill just list them.

Ancient fascinating societies, the architecture is much better their, europeans really know how to eat a meal,
I totaly agree.

I am sick of europeans having hypocritical ignorant attitudes toward the US, Europeans tried to conquer the world once, Americans are misplaced europeans.
can you explain this a bit? Do you meand that Europeans still act colonial towards America and the rest of the world? I think it is true for the rest of the world. We want to help to develop the rest of the world but they never can get better than us, we need to have the leading position. And lately that is about to change with more and more jobs going to China and India. And we are getting affraid because Europe has nothing when it comes to natural resources: oil, metal, food, ... The only thing we have ins knowledge and when other countries pass us on that, whe have nothing left to compete with and we are going under with a health care and social system that costs way to much. But towards America I don't think Europe has a colonial attitude. America is a country that should be handled with care or it is going to bite :becky:

If we were to trade oil in euros the dollar would cease to be a hard currency. Investment banks would suffer, and that is were we get our loans from, the world economy runs on loans. If our financial institutions were to suffer we would all suffer.
I beg your pardon? The world wide economical crisis is caused by the American real estate crisis ;-)

It is soccer not football.
It is football for the whole world except for America ;-). So is this an other example of Americans delusions of grandeur ;-)

We are threatened by the EU. We get pissed when europe gets out of line. Like when france disagreed with us over Iraq. We can't handle dat shit. Europe is a valuble market for american companies. The capitalist societies you all live in designed to be trading partners with the US after world war two. You are very much under our thumb, but you can fight back through powerful institutions like the EU.
Are you really threatened by the EU. To me it seems like we are a little bug that stings America from time to time but never really hurts. About Iraq and other issues like guantanamo, Israel and stuff, whole Europe disagrees with the US, not only France (only France dare to say it out loud). Except for Great Brittain. They still seems to think that America is there backyard...

I don't know what most Americans think about Europe. We hate the French (stupid French), adore the Italians, think Spain and Greece is beautiful (some other countries too), think its cool to visit the UK (and like their accents), think Sweden/Norway are the Canada of Europe, want to smoke pot in Denmark, and generally want to avoid Eastern Europe, especially Russia (I'm sorry- this isn't my opinion alone). We also think people in Switzerland are very uptight and that everything runs perfectly in Switzerland- like one gigantic fancy clock. Germany is cool too.

Yes, the Deep South probably has their own opinion, but whatever it is, it is probably stupid.

This is a very good stereotype and probably accurate for the most part.

It is football for the whole world except for America ;-). So is this an other example of Americans delusions of grandeur ;-)

This is the biggest difference between the two continents. We Europeans like its easy. When we teach our kids what a ball is. We could just say:
"A ball is a round object with various uses. It is used in ball games, where the play of the game follows the state of the ball as it is hit, kicked or thrown by players." (from wikipedia)

An American has to add: Ohh and a ball could also be oval.

And of course when we none Americans talk about football, we are talking about a game when you mainly kick the ball.

:m123: Just my little add to the most serious part of this discussion.

To be serious though. It's an interesting discussion. It's always good to hear others thoughts and beliefs. That way people can learn about each others. It makes us grow.

:)

This is the biggest difference between the two continents. We Europeans like its easy. When we teach our kids what a ball is. We could just say:
"A ball is a round object with various uses. It is used in ball games, where the play of the game follows the state of the ball as it is hit, kicked or thrown by players." (from wikipedia)

An American has to add: Ohh and a ball could also be oval.

And of course when we none Americans talk about football, we are talking about a game when you mainly kick the ball.

right on. the name "football completely covers the aim of the game: "kick a ball with your foot" while soccer, where did that came from? Because you needed an other word for the game because the original name was already taken for a game where you have to "throw an oval thing"? :becky:

To be serious though. It's an interesting discussion. It's always good to hear others thoughts and beliefs. That way people can learn about each others. It makes us grow.

:)

that is my idea too!!!