A High IQ and why sometimes it doesn't do you a damn bit of good. | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

A High IQ and why sometimes it doesn't do you a damn bit of good.

How do, those of you that do, know your IQ levels? I.e. Where were you tested?

I agree with Siamese Cat and April.

Last edited:

We have a government institution for career counselling, I did two separate sessions of testing there, then testing for a school for gifted that had two stages of tests, first being the domino test (something similar to those that mensa does but not quite the same), and the second testing that lasted for hours with tests for some 9 factors, and some other things, then mensa testing, and finally several IQ tests that I had to do for job applications.

I think that they tested the soul out of me in the last 10 years. :D

I participated in a research project and was given the test by someone who knew how to give the test. Maybe it's different now - but part of it back then was given orally and I had to respond orally.

My IQ is 4 make a me fell sad.

I know mine because my best friend's mom told him his, and what mine was. He then told me, and I confirmed it with his mom, and then my mom.

I wasn't supposed to find out, and I lost that friend because of all that. I don't really know why, but his mom told me that my once-friend wasn't comfortable knowing his score was lower than mine (even if it was significantly above average).

It was tested via the Stanford-Binet by someone from John Hopkins University who came to my school when I was 10 years of age.

Then the fun started. :suspicious: :Cry:

:noidea:
Ian

My high school during private testing. I scored in the 99.9th percentile on end of year tests my freshmen year in every subject so they decided to do some tests to see if I would do well in AP and CP classes.

Not my proudest moment...but they told me it was to see if I could get into a charter school and ANYTHING that would have gotten me out of Myer's Park High, I'd have done, including giving blowjobs.

I have this theory that normal people can "sense" gifted IQ people the same way they can sense a mentally ill or handicapped person, and thats why we get shunned. Especially as children.

Reactions: Kgal
Gifted and average people all have things in common.
I don't think it's always the average shunning the gifted..
Anyone can fixate on what makes them different rather than explore what they have in common with others.
It's easy to feel like a victim or a martyr (superior and yet kept down by the swarms of mindless emotionally violent drones.)

Reactions: bamf
Or the kid no one invites out but always asks you to help them with their homework.

To be honest, IQ means very little. I echo the sentiments of others on here, and add a few two cents of my own: Only those who have a healthy attitude regarding IQ are the true intelligent ones. IQ neither makes your life better or worse; it's what *you* make of your life.

If your perception of someone changes once you discover their IQ, then that's a problem on your part to accept the person as-is. And if you see yourself as morally superior or what have you over others because you have a strong IQ, then it's time to come into the real world.

You're successful because of *you* and IQ is irrelevant. IQ is just part of your being. Enjoy who you are, and enjoy others where they are.

Having a high IQ means that you correctly answered more questions on an IQ test than most people do in a set amount of time. It probably correlates with "intelligence" somewhat but since intelligence is poorly defined (or, at least, it has many definitions), this doesn't mean much. Thus, having a high IQ may mean that one has the potential to solve difficult problems, but this is merely a passive activity for most people because most people rarely use their cognitive skills to address really hard questions. It is sort of like a very fast computer that is idling with no data coming in to work on. Furthermore, you don't need a high IQ to solve rigorous problems. Persistence counts much more (if two people solve the same problem but one is slower than the other, aren't they equally intelligent?). Imagination is perhaps most important because imagination allows you to conceive or recognize interesting problems to solve in the first place, and to solve them in novel ways. Recognizing a problem is sometimes 90% of the solution.

I have a high IQ and I'm sure it has been useful, but I attribute whatever success I've had mainly to other skills. I think IQ tells us very little about a person.

iqprosandcons.jpg

http://www.unc.edu/~rooney/iq.htm

Absolutely agreed. I've come up with some novel answers on some tests, but they weren't the "right" ones...to me, the answer had more than one solution that was equally right and seeing it my way, they did. :D

In any case, I do think IQ tests are extremely biased and really, they aren't relevant if you want a child to learn (or if you expect a child to learn beyond a certain level).

In my personal experiences, I have found that people skills are vastly more beneficial than high IQ 90% of the time.

In my personal experiences, I have found that people skills are vastly more beneficial than high IQ 90% of the time.

So why don't you have any? Kidding! You know I adore you NAI but dang, you left yourself open there....
Besides, I still remember the grumpy Oompa Loompa face!

chessie, do you know the history of the creation of the IQ tests? They were made by the military long ago, around the emancipation time period. They were used to have a way of "deciding" which soldiers got which kinds of jobs. They were written by anglo males, when african american males hadn't been sent to enough school to know how to read. I dont' know which version of an IQ test you took, i can tell you, though, that being a hispanic female, the few iq test questions i have read make absolutely no sense. THey ask things like about hall of famers of famous baseball teams, or perspectives that were not taught in my culture and seem idiotic to me, when common sense to all others, and i seem idiotic to most, except perhaps other first generation people from mexico. So don't hate the number! IT just means that you have stuff in common with old white guys from years n years ago. lol i'm just kidding
actually, it's not your fault about the school stuff. I'm a teacher (i fell into it, would NEVER have wanted this except i live in Hell paso where my degrees dont fit in. Education is the only semi-decent paying job. well i was in GT my whole life so i never had traditional classes, and now my coworkers often accuse me of "teaching too much" and having expectations that are too high. Can you believe that sh#&^%(???? I was in a mtg with a principal n a teacher leader said they all believe i challenge my kids too much. OMG i wanted to cry and i wondered if the same type of morons had been my teachers, people that believe us dumb lil hispanics cant learn what the rest of the country learns. You see, schools always been a piece of cake for me. I had decent grades cuz i somehow managed, but my home life did not revolve around education. When I got home, i had to help my parents build our future house. I remember being in 5th grade and having to hide flashlights under my blankets to try n do homework and then my sister ratting me out. High school was worse!

So I realized the more I showed intelligence at work, school, anywhere, the more people wanted to pile their work on me. I learned how to be more low key. I will never, and my coworkers hated me for saying this, but I said, "Why should I lower my intelligence to be able to reach more people? Why should I have to pretend to be dumb in my head so i can teach kids at a lower capacity, when my scores clearly show that I'm teaching everyone, including the special ed kids. Why should i have to come to work and expect to have to downgrade my intelligence to fit in, or lower my work ethic?"

So u c, it's not IQ or other forms of intelligence or wealth or degrees or years on teh job that matter, it's social intelligence. Emotional intelligence rules reality. Guess who gets to make the big decisions about kids educations? Certainly not the smart people. Nope, it's the less academic people that know how to schmooze and get along.

I wouldn't say the IQ test is invalid by any means but it is skewed towards those with high logical/spatial intelligence. In my case, I have a higher analogical reasoning and analytical intelligence compared to the other types, but the test doesn't measure for this aspect of intelligence very well. And it doesn't do a great job of detecting the kinds of intelligence common in socio-emotional learners or those with social or emotional intelligence. And too many confuse logical reasoning with analytical reasoning. They're really not the same. Many "logical" thinkers do not show or demonstrate effective critical or analytical thinking skills. So, misunderstandings abound.

chessie, do you know the history of the creation of the IQ tests? They were made by the military long ago, around the emancipation time period. They were used to have a way of "deciding" which soldiers got which kinds of jobs. They were written by anglo males, when african american males hadn't been sent to enough school to know how to read.

I suggest you investigate the history of IQ testing, because what you assert here is untrue and incorrect based on a compare and contrast with the historical record.

For example:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intelligence_quotient

cheers,
Ian

Reactions: just me
I suggest you investigate the history of IQ testing, because what you assert here is untrue and incorrect based on a compare and contrast with the historical record.

For example:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intelligence_quotient

cheers,
Ian

She has a bit of a point, though, [MENTION=947]aeon[/MENTION]. The earlier IQ test creators did so for a specific purpose, and it wasn't 100% pure.

This PBS transcript goes into a bit of it (it starts with SAT knowledge):http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/sats/interviews/lemann.html

And this is another article about it: http://www.fairtest.org/racism-eugenics-and-testing-again.

The book, "The Bell Curve" also speaks a lot to racism and IQ tests. There's evidence to support that IQ tests aren't the innocuous tests they seem.

Here's another good skeptic's article, with references at the conclusion: http://www.skepdic.com/iqrace.html

(I had to add one more, since this one was so interesting: http://www.udel.edu/educ/gottfredson/30years/Nisbett-commentary-on-30years.pdf)