A High IQ and why sometimes it doesn't do you a damn bit of good. | INFJ Forum

A High IQ and why sometimes it doesn't do you a damn bit of good.

Chessie

Community Member
Apr 5, 2010
MBTI
INfJ

I hate that number. I know it's a little irrational to hate a number, but that's the number I have a beef with and I gotta say that from day one since I sat down to take that battery of tests back in high-school I've had a personal loathing of that number that most people find in soldiers hating the enemy.

It's my IQ.

I realize those numbers are a bit arbitrary and you can re-write a test to fuck with them in about a hundred different ways but where I was at, they treated that number like it was gold. Suddenly I was in advanced placement classes. Never mind I'd flunked two grades out of sheer apathy for the material being taught or I couldn't bring myself to socialize with the students around me because their emotions were like waves of violence being inflicted on my person.

One Fourty Two was a magical number. It's completely worthless because it is all on the right side of my brain. I could push through a complex math problem if I had time and a reason. I could tell you why one chemical mixed with another if I could be bothered.

I didn't care to be bothered. Being an INFJ, I was clinging to sanity by my fingernails in a series of massively over-populated schools, surrounded by people who could barely write their names because the school-system was so badly underfunded in my home state. They expected great things...but what they got was a sad little hippy kid with a stack of poetry and short stories and a grade-point average that would shame a retarded monkey. I think my GPA when I dropped out of highschool was .8. Homework was a non-entity and my parents cared. They really tried hard, fighting their own neurotic behavior to try to help but they were against a number of tides, their own psyches included.

The administration would have preferred to eject me rather than risk me bringing the school's gradepoint average down because No Child Left Behind would have cut them further.

Our brains are tools. What I wanted more than anything was unfettered access to the internet and for everyone to leave me alone with it. Five years after I left school entirely I got my wish. Suddenly I was saturated in knowledge.

My IQ never landed me a job. I am not a super-logical person. I prefer to sit with a book and our society doesn't value people who think intuitively or who can't show their work no matter how often they may be right. I have an intuitive understanding of quantum physics but if you asked me to lay down the math, I'd have to sit for hours just holding the pencil and then I might try to write you a story about it. It would be sad to watch.

I have an intuitive understanding of quantum physics

Really? Care to elaborate? I would love to hear it explained in the form of a story.

As for the matter of IQ, in my opinion motivation + passion > IQ every time, and those two things are often unrelated to a person's IQ

i've always wondered what quantum physics is. actually what i mean is that i've always wondered what physics is.

I had to learn quantum chemistry, but it more or less is the same thing as quantum physics. We just focus on how it effects things chemically at the end of the course. In short, physics is the study of energy. Quantum physics is the study of energy on very very small particles. On the order of nanometers, and smaller. There are studies for this because at that scale, materials are governed by different energy laws. Straight lines, and linear pathways become a thing of the past.

I am not sure how one can have an intuitive understanding of quantum physics. It's one of the most counter-intuititve things you can study in science.

Reactions: rawr and invisible
I have an intuitive understanding of quantum physics but if you asked me to lay down the math, I'd have to sit for hours just holding the pencil and then I might try to write you a story about it. It would be sad to watch.
I have struggled so much with math classes because of this. My brain isn't suited to memorizing rigid step by step procedures and 2 page long calculations and strings of numbers that make my attention span completely die.

I much prefer to build my own frame work within which I'd solve the problem after some intuitive approximation.

Just want to say I'm not specifically referring to quantum, but so far it's been easier for me to grasp the general idea of a concept.

Last edited:
< Take my age multiply it by then then plus sixteen! I am at the opposite side of the world on the opposite side of the school numbers... The didn't make as much sense as i thought it would. ANYHOW! there are only 200 people in my school and everyone expects a crapload from me cause of that number. People don't give a shit of what you can do. They only care about what you do. Call yourself creative with writing... well then go get yourself published. You think society doesn't value intelligent intuitives? Then you go show them, prove to them the value we have. But that is the paradox, we're not like that. We refuse to fight the people in power who belive their sight of the world is the only "right" way. We are not like that, We are Protectors and what do we protect against, I bet the answer all us make, is ultimately to the goal. But what many of us don't realise... is what we are protecting. Thats what I belive makes us who we are... ;)

If you learn the math behind quantum mechanics, it will slowly begin to make sense, and can form a psudeo-intuitive sense to it. For those of you who feel you have an intuitive understanding of quantum physics though, I present you with this: A series of atomic orbitals, S, P, and D respectively. This are the probability zones of likely finding an electron at any given time to 99% accuracy (I think it might be 95%, I forget which). These are different energy states.

p_orbitals.gif

screencapture3k.png

Without knowing the math behind this I am willing to bet this will be extremely non-intuitive and non-linear. What would be your intuitive understanding of these shapes, and why they are the shape that they are? If you can intuitively understand this, and explain it, I will be floored.

Reactions: starshine and Wyote
Math is easy, at least.... at my level.

A = b = c= d = e

Doesn't change.

Note, I don't know if it gets all complicated later on up, so don't judge. :mk:

Hmm. When it comes to quantums I feel like I have an intuitive understanding of the theory and the big picture. But if you break it down and look at the actual science and mathematics behind it, I get lost. My mind does not work in a linear fashion, never has, never will. My IQ is in the 120's which isn't skyrocket high, but given that I am sure people expected me to do much better in school. The truth is I just didn't care.

118, and it's never meant shit to me. I.Q. gives you almost no advantage in life. In fact intelligence doesn't give you that much of a help.

Wisdom and common sense will always prevail.

I have a sky scraping IQ of 98 (just 2 shy of 100! (sorry, humble is something I'm not) (ok, 98 isn't that high at all but I'm proud of what I've accomplished regardless of what my IQ is)) it's a lot of pressure, everyone around me is expecting to do really well and that everything should come naturally but it doesn't. Most people with high IQ's tend to develop depression due to a number of reasons and I must say that I'm slightly guilty of that as infuriating as that is.

High IQ.....as long as you have the drive to go with it can achieve so much but it isn't a free ticket by any means in fact I would say a good portion of people with high IQ's do well initially but then progressively worse academically because they don't learn the organizational skills and drive required later on which is where people of a average intelligence tend to triumph.

A high IQ does count for something but just like any tool if you don't learn to use it properly the results will be less than satisfactory with the added social sting of the failed social expectations.

I believe the average IQ in England for a CEO is 104, a grand total of 4 points above the american average which is such a small difference that you wouldn't notice which goes to show that a persons IQ level doesn't determine how successful a person is.

A large portion of people with very high IQ's tend to end up taking jobs like truck driving due to the social difficulties that they constantly come up against in other jobs and favour far more independant jobs due to this.

I'm currently at university studying computer programming and although I do notice that I'm struggling quite a lot more than other people and I have to try harder I'm still keeping up with others, even beating some of the smarter ones in the class purely on mativation and organization, they slack because they think they'll figure it out quickly which although they might they don't take into account the time it will take to both figure out something and complete it.

Last edited:
I don't really like to flaunt my numbers publicly. And it doesn't mean a thing when someone just declares his number because the number itself has no meaning without the information about the scale that was used.

I never pittied myself for having high numbers and thus people having high expectations of me, because what I do with myself is my own damn thing. I use that tool the way I think is the best, and so far it was a good decision. And being smart and intelligent is not the same which is something people just confuse. Being in some of the special schools and member of some societies I can safely say that some of the very intelligent people can be profoundly stupid and some of the very smart people don't have a high IQ.

High IQ is just part of the equation, and not the part that matters the most in any way, but it can be extremely helpful and I'm grateful for that gift.

I don't really like to flaunt my numbers publicly. And it doesn't mean a thing when someone just declares his number because the number itself has no meaning without the information about the scale that was used.

I never pittied myself for having high numbers and thus people having high expectations of me, because what I do with myself is my own damn thing. I use that tool the way I think is the best, and so far it was a good decision. And being smart and intelligent is not the same which is something people just confuse. Being in some of the special schools and member of some societies I can safely say that some of the very intelligent people can be profoundly stupid and some of the very smart people don't have a high IQ.

High IQ is just part of the equation, and not the part that matters the most in any way, but it can be extremely helpful and I'm grateful for that gift.

Well said.

Reactions: 5ufvdee369jcdd
A High IQ [strike]and why sometimes it[/strike] doesn't do you a damn bit of good.

Yep. I don't know my IQ, and I don't feel I need to know it. All I know is I have is an unusually obstinate desire to understand things clearly. If I understand and you don't, I don't care whether your IQ is 10 or 30 points higher than mine.

Also, from my limited understanding of quantum physics, there is a stark contrast between being able to 'get' what quantum physics is about and being able to 'get' concepts that normally require a large amount of mathematics to work out. I don't think anyone is claiming the latter.

Last edited:
Your ego is through the roof. Get over your self and end the pity party.

I would say that intelligence is only one aspect of your being. So just because one is well developed, doesn't mean that the other 3 are well developed. The goal in life would be balance between the 4 aspects--emotional, intellectual, spiritual and physcial.

I hate that number. I know it's a little irrational to hate a number, but that's the number I have a beef with and I gotta say that from day one since I sat down to take that battery of tests back in high-school I've had a personal loathing of that number that most people find in soldiers hating the enemy.

It's my IQ.

I realize those numbers are a bit arbitrary and you can re-write a test to fuck with them in about a hundred different ways but where I was at, they treated that number like it was gold. Suddenly I was in advanced placement classes. Never mind I'd flunked two grades out of sheer apathy for the material being taught or I couldn't bring myself to socialize with the students around me because their emotions were like waves of violence being inflicted on my person.

One Fourty Two was a magical number. It's completely worthless because it is all on the right side of my brain. I could push through a complex math problem if I had time and a reason. I could tell you why one chemical mixed with another if I could be bothered.

I didn't care to be bothered. Being an INFJ, I was clinging to sanity by my fingernails in a series of massively over-populated schools, surrounded by people who could barely write their names because the school-system was so badly underfunded in my home state. They expected great things...but what they got was a sad little hippy kid with a stack of poetry and short stories and a grade-point average that would shame a retarded monkey. I think my GPA when I dropped out of highschool was .8. Homework was a non-entity and my parents cared. They really tried hard, fighting their own neurotic behavior to try to help but they were against a number of tides, their own psyches included.

The administration would have preferred to eject me rather than risk me bringing the school's gradepoint average down because No Child Left Behind would have cut them further.

Our brains are tools. What I wanted more than anything was unfettered access to the internet and for everyone to leave me alone with it. Five years after I left school entirely I got my wish. Suddenly I was saturated in knowledge.

My IQ never landed me a job. I am not a super-logical person. I prefer to sit with a book and our society doesn't value people who think intuitively or who can't show their work no matter how often they may be right. I have an intuitive understanding of quantum physics but if you asked me to lay down the math, I'd have to sit for hours just holding the pencil and then I might try to write you a story about it. It would be sad to watch.

Don't you hate the boxes most people try to fit everyone into? Labels are the same problem. Either one is fighting to get rid of the label or fighting to get the label. IMO - labels and boxes keep a person locked in a rigid role. If they wanted to be there - then they don't seek growth anymore. If they want to get out - society won't let them without a huge effort on their part.

When one is young it's extremely detrimental to allowing full growth of the potential of the individual. When one is old - you end up disappointing so many others when you want to shed the labels you've had your whole life.

So what's the real reason you're bringing this up now? Expectations? Whose? Yours? Feeling the anxiety of your current management/leadership position? Wish the damn IQ could help with THAT???? LOL

I tested with very high IQ myself and many of my teachers had equal expectations of me. That completely freaked me out and I withdrew into myself even more. A high IQ did nothing for me either. To this day all the members of my family expect me to ace anything that has to do with learning new concepts and ideas. They have no idea it takes me time to process, understand, and integrate new material. And I need to be alone in my world to do that.

I hope you're getting some alone time for yourself Chessie.
:hug:

Reactions: Gaze
Online IQ tests are just a way to boost people's ego by making them feel intelligent than they really are.