1 in 6 Americans in poverty? | Page 6 | INFJ Forum

1 in 6 Americans in poverty?

Considering that you haven't provided any sources to obtain cost of living averages for a whole country, I'm not convinced. The best you have provided are cost of living estimates for states and cities within the United States, and short of a complex formula of accounting for the differing populations of each of those and other mitigating factors, I can't even obtain a cost of living estimate for the United States as a whole. You even admitted that the difference between the currencies between the United States and China complicates the manner of comparing their cost of living.

Can't you just admit that you can't justify your assumption that the United States has the lowest cost of living of any western country? Or at least, can you admit that even if you could obtain a cost of living estimate for a whole country, it would not be representative of anything relevant due to the distributional differences between the varying regions within a country? Even when comparing states within the United States, economist will be quick to explain that the cost of living numbers are more indicative of how rural a state is than anything else.

Of course, the quickest way to prove me wrong would be to simply post the average cost of living for the United States or China. If you can't do that much, then I'll just assume that you made an assumption that the US has the lowest cost of living.

I have school within 30 min, a 5 min search served in achieving the basic formula for cost of loving and that averages are used to compare states, which California itself is in itself comparable to a country, if they can average CA they can do countries, to pull some of the docs with said info costs money, and I'm not going to do that (I might actually check our schools resources to see if I can pull them off for free), what I can do when I get back is compare gas and food prices of the countries of the west, I can measure taxes, property, I can find inflation, I'll be posting more later, I assure you.

I have school within 30 min, a 5 min search served in achieving the basic formula for cost of loving and that averages are used to compare states, which California itself is in itself comparable to a country, if they can average CA they can do countries, to pull some of the docs with said info costs money, and I'm not going to do that (I might actually check our schools resources to see if I can pull them off for free), what I can do when I get back is compare gas and food prices of the countries of the west, I can measure taxes, property, I can find inflation, I'll be posting more later, I assure you.

As I said, economists argue that a state's cost of living is more indicative of how rural it is than anything else. And I believe the forumula for determining a country's cost of living would be considerably more complex given that you have to account for currency differences.

Putting aside whether or not it is possible or even relevant to calculate the cost of living for a country as a whole, I'm just going to assume that since you have not posted the cost of living numbers for the United States and other Western countries, that you have never actually seen such data and that you were merely making an unsubstantiated assumption.

As I said, economists argue that a state's cost of living is more indicative of how rural it is than anything else. And I believe the forumula for determining a country's cost of living would be considerably more complex given that you have to account for currency differences.

Putting aside whether or not it is possible or even relevant to calculate the cost of living for a country as a whole, I'm just going to assume that since you have not posted the cost of living numbers for the United States and other Western countries, that you have never actually seen such data and that you were merely making an unsubstantiated assumption.

Lets try this again shall we,

US Consumer Price Index
http://www.bls.gov/news.release/cpi.nr0.htm

Global gas prices
http://money.cnn.com/pf/features/lists/global_gasprices/

Compared to Different countries
http://www.bls.gov/fls/flshicpan.pdf

Changes in rates
http://www.bls.gov/fls/flshicp.pdf

Euro to dollar
http://www.baltimoresun.com/busines...newsservbc-dollar-mk64716oct21,0,741575.story

Just needed time to relocate the articles.

Last edited:
Compared to Different countries
http://www.bls.gov/fls/flshicpan.pdf
Just needed time to relocate the articles.

Did you actually read this data before you posted it? It's indicating that the cost of living (as indicated by consumer price index) is higher in the United States and the rate at which consumer prices have been raising has been higher in the United States that in other countries.

Considering that your original claim was that the United States had a lower cost of living that other Western countries, it seems strange to me that you would post data that indicates the opposite.

Also, what does posting gas prices indicate? A country doesn't necessarily have a lower cost of living because it has a lower gas price. Some countries have lower gas prices just because they have plentiful oil resources. Case in point, countries like Venezuela and Cuba.

Last edited:
Did you actually read this data before you posted it? It's indicating that the cost of living (as indicated by consumer price index) is higher in the United States and the rate at which consumer prices have been raising has been higher in the United States that in other countries.

Considering that your original claim was that the United States had a lower cost of living that other Western countries, it seems strange to me that you would post data that indicates the opposite.

Also, what does posting gas prices indicate? A country doesn't necessarily have a lower cost of living because it has a lower gas price. Some countries have lower gas prices just because they have plentiful oil resources. Case in point, countries like Venezuela and Cuba.

My claim was correct a few years ago(check the years), cost of living would have gone down if the stimulus didn't pass, it artificially maintained prices (Keynesian economics interfering with the market will change what would have been otherwise predictable), otherwise prices would have gone down. The % shows that the US is recovering at a faster rate than otherwise.

At minimal, no more bs on not being able to measure costs of living.

Gas prices are fixed upon the dollar, and both the EU and the US have low gas resources of their own, you can even use Big Macs to measure such as well. The variance in prices is due to costs of living, it works by rule of thumb. If you don't know about economics don't worry too much about it then

My claim was correct a few years ago(check the years), cost of living would have gone down if the stimulus didn't pass, it artificially maintained prices (Keynesian economics interfering with the market will change what would have been otherwise predictable), otherwise prices would have gone down. The % shows that the US is recovering at a faster rate than otherwise.

I don't like it when people try to make arguments about macroeconomics based on such limited information, particularly when the dates don't match. The Bush Stimulus was in 2006. It's pretty clear what your bias is.

At minimal, no more bs on not being able to measure costs of living.
The consumer price index is a clever way to compare costs between countries.

Gas prices are fixed upon the dollar, and both the EU and the US have low gas resources of their own, you can even use Big Macs to measure such as well. The variance in prices is due to costs of living, it works by rule of thumb. If you don't know about economics don't worry too much about it then
Those factors are better at determining exchange rates, not costs of living.

Last edited:
I don't like it when people try to make arguments about macroeconomics based on such limited information, particularly when the dates don't match. The Bush Stimulus was in 2006. It's pretty clear what your bias is.
The consumer price index is a clever way to compare costs between countries.

Those factors are better at determining exchange rates, not costs of living.

There is no bias present, bailout, stimulus, they function the same way, I was referencing to all items in regards to such practices hence I placed "Keynesian", which would reference all that fall under said category, we rose above others after 2006 and beyond, by larger increments as well. In a recession prices drop, this didn

I'm going to AMERICA in early december :m124::m204::m055::mf:
Sometimes people call me an idealist and thats fine because the skies of happiness shine upon where I belong; America, the only idealistic nation in the world!!

Either way I just wanted to say that I will pay extra close attention to these issues and realisticly see reality for myself.

Reactions: Blind Bandit
How is it? I mean, in what way are they (more) idealistic than others?

Do I even need to explain this? Everyone knows that they are idealistic haha. Idealism is the representation of things in their 'Ideal' form, how they should be as opposed to a Realist point of view, looking at things how they are.

Take for example the American dream.

Do I even need to explain this? Everyone knows that they are idealistic haha. Idealism is the representation of things in their 'Ideal' form, how they should be as opposed to a Realist point of view, looking at things how they are.

Take for example the American dream.

I think many of the western countries are like that.
What makes America different?

:) Good girl, PG. It's always good to see both sides of the issue.

What area of the States are you visiting?

Reactions: Pristinegirl
I'm going to AMERICA in early december :m124::m204::m055::mf:
Sometimes people call me an idealist and thats fine because the skies of happiness shine upon where I belong; America, the only idealistic nation in the world!!

Either way I just wanted to say that I will pay extra close attention to these issues and realisticly see reality for myself.

You don't live here and your being brained washed by propaganda.

I think many of the western countries are like that.
What makes America different?

I just gave you an example, the American dream or if that is not enough then just look at its remarkable patriotism.

Let me hand the ball back to you. If you think many of the western countries are just like that, then what is it that makes America so significantly different?

:) Good girl, PG. It's always good to see both sides of the issue.

What area of the States are you visiting?

First and foremost Indiana (my mothers fiance lives there)

I think and hope we will explore other places too though ^^ and besides I will be off age as I turn 18 so I can do WHATEVER I want :D (Unless the American law of age 21 applies xD)

It's better to be rich than poor.
It's better to happy than unhappy.
It's better to rich and happy than rich and unhappy.
It's better to be poor and happy than poor and unhappy.
Conclusion: Pursue happiness and wealth.

Regardless of a nation's political and economic system, there will always be a percentage of the population less well off than the average. Were that not true, the affluence of the average citizen would be much lower. But, indeed, it is true.

Well, I was wondering the exact same thing. What does make America different?

Patriotism? What about France? I think they're one of the most patriotic populations out there.
Or Japan?

The American dream is just having 2 kids, a house, a garden and preferably two cars.
How is America the only country where people want these things?

You don't live here and your being brained washed by propaganda.

I know that you think so and since you are set on that there is nothing I can say that will make you think differently either..

I'm not being brainwashed because how could I be when all the media does is critisize every little thing about America here? Thus why there are so many anti-americans.

I know in my heart that the love I have aquried for America is truthful because it lies on a basis of an emphasised desire for an honest opportunity and freedom.

Well, I was wondering the exact same thing. What does make America different?

Patriotism? What about France? I think they're one of the most patriotic populations out there.
Or Japan?

The American dream is just having 2 kids, a house, a garden and preferably two cars.
How is America the only country where people want these things?

In case you missed it.

America is not the only country where people believe in these things.
You can't say that America is the only nation where people are idealistic, because you haven't visited every nation.

I know that you think so and since you are set on that there is nothing I can say that will make you think differently either..

I'm not being brainwashed because how could I be when all the media does is critisize every little thing about America here? Thus why there are so many anti-americans.

I know in my heart that the love I have aquried for America is truthful because it lies on a basis of an emphasised desire for an honest opportunity and freedom.

I've lived in Indianapolis seen the poor areas of town. Hell my town is pretty much a blue collar town with a few nice areas. I've worked with the homeless and down trodden.

I've lived poor and I know the fact that many are homeless here.

If you going to argue your country which most wouldn't consider to have problems. Has issues and sucks why do you think America of all places is any better.

The American dream doesn't exist its wishful thinking every American uses to get through their day.

Hardly anyone actually makes it happen. Especially when you count poverty stricken folks.

This country is no better and much worse than others.

You need to wake up. America sucks just as much as any other country and as fair as wester countries go its ass backward.

If our country was so great so called the greatest country ever. We wouldn't have so many poor, and homeless with people telling them they just need to work harder.

I'm so sick of the pro American propaganda that masses just eat up.

This country sucks and doesn't take care of its people. No matter how much its people take care of it.

Oh and for the record I'm a patriot but I'm remember how to be a patriot and not live my life on blind faith and the idea that a true patriot cares what his government dose and questions his country when it strays from what is right and good for its people. And not just its top 1 percent.

So when you do visit take off the propaganda and really look and see if you think this country is still so great.

Its about time people wake up!

An interesting thing happened to one of my good friend's parents the first time they visited America. They were mugged.

There is honest opportunity in Ameirca. However, there is considerably more dishonest opportunity.

As far as America being a country where you can act, think, or speak without external constraint, you will find that most Americans choose to remain ignorant and lead very non confrontational lives out of fear. It may be fear of losing their jobs, fear of being ostracized by their specific group or social class, fear of being victimized, or whatver, but fear exists as a very evident part of this country and it inhibits freedom a great deal.

With that in mind, enjoy your trip.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blind Bandit