Your age vs. others' perception of your age | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Your age vs. others' perception of your age

My perceived age seems to vary.

Most recently, just a couple weeks ago, I was told by several people I know from Habitat for Humanity that they all assumed I was between 30 and 32. When I informed them that I just turned 27 this February, they were surprised. One of them suggested that the goatee makes me look more mature.

During my last semester of college, at age 22, several people said that they would not even think I was 18 yet if it were not for the goatee. (I first started growing it earlier that semester, as a bike accident required stitches on my chin and I couldn't shave the area for a couple months.)

People thought I looked a year or two older than my age when I was a college freshman though.

As a high school senior, people thought I looked a year or so younger than I was.

As a high school freshman, upperclassmen kept forgetting I was a freshman and said I seemed old enough to be at least a Junior if not a Senior already.

Yeah I have this theory about NT being more common among older siblings which would explain such common conclusions. But I seem to think INFJ present a rather youthful enigma at times. I once put the moves on an INFJ woman whom turned out to be near her 50s, several people exclaimed that they too thought she was in her 20s. The situation really peaked my interest in pheromones and regenerative therapy.

Last edited:
This is an interesting question.
In the past people have assumed I was the mother to two of my ex-boyfriends.

One was a looong time ago. I dated a 7th grade kid when I was in 9th grade. Someone thought I was his mom. We broke up soon after, haha.

Then, when I was in high school or just starting college, I don't remember. A cop pulled my boyfriend over, two houses down from my house, when it was somewhat dark out. The cop shined his flashlight on me and said Is this mom?

Here's the thing. We were less than a year apart in age and he is Asian. Full Asian. I'm white and less than a year older than him, but okay. Haha

People usually assume I am older. Maybe its because I've always been taller than most of my female peers and I dress professionally for one of my jobs.
I'm also much less bubbly and extroverted than I was back in the day. Its more difficult for me to project that these days. I will conquer this and become more extroverted. I'm determined. ..or at least seem like a less suspicious introvert.

Yes I agree very interesting question and so many directions to go.....

It really depends on who I'm with and what I'm doing but mostly people mistake me for being younger. I think genetics (thank you God), height (5 ft 2), build (slim) and mindset (fun and playful with the right kind of people) all make me younger than I am.

I once dressed up as a St Trinian (for fancy dress of course!) and in between bouncing around on the trampoline (as you do) and my friend's daughter (we were getting along swimmingly) said out loud, "What school do you go to?" :lol:

Without sounding dramatic, I lost nearly 10 years of my life so I'm very happy looking younger than I am.

One of my favourite quotes, "Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." Oliver Wendell Holmes.

The way I carry myself is far different from the young ones around me.

Yes. I once thought this as well. I assumed people could look at my demeanor and not notice that I'm not as young as they believed, but sometimes people only notice looks or appearance. I stopped trying to correct them. I still remember being told in late 20s, almost 30 that "you're so young!" I hated it. I even had someone attempt to use a baby voice with me. I just looked at her like she was crazy. In general, some like to point out age differences when it makes them feel better. People like having something over someone else, and age (which they equate with experience) is the first thing in their arsenal to show they are superior. This and competing in conversation. Apparently, if you don't assert your opinions as facts or don't make everything you feel or think sound like an obvious fact about the world, you know nothing, therefore you are so young. :D Sometimes, it's interesting just watching people, observing how they behave, noting their assumptions, etc. People really think they know more about people than they really do. I think it's especially fun when people think they have someone all figured out simply because of 'youthful" looks.

Yes. I once thought this as well. I assumed people could look at my demeanor and not notice that I'm not as young as they believed, but sometimes people only notice looks or appearance. I stopped trying to correct them. I still remember being told in late 20s, almost 30 that "you're so young!" I hated it. I even had someone attempt to use a baby voice with me. I just looked at her like she was crazy. In general, some like to point out age differences when it makes them feel better. People like having something over someone else, and age (which they equate with experience) is the first thing in their arsenal to show they are superior. This and competing in conversation. Apparently, if you don't assert your opinions as facts or don't make everything you feel or think sound like an obvious fact about the world, you know nothing, therefore you are so young. :D Sometimes, it's interesting just watching people, observing how they behave, noting their assumptions, etc. People really think they know more about people than they really do. I think it's especially fun when people think they have someone all figured out simply because of 'youthful" looks.

I tend to get the "young-seeming and therefore obviously inexperienced" treatment any time I start a new job. It's frustrating, but I usually manage to quietly take it in stride during the training period until I get more familiar with the work environment.

Always 5 years older than I really am. I wish people would see me younger not older... :( When I was 18 someone thought I was 25, ouch! I heard it's because of the eyeglasses.. And maybe looking miserable. xD

Last edited:
I look young and i feel even younger. But the things that come out of my mouth makes me appear older/wiser. The old soul kind of thing.

i am in my mid (or is it late? i really don't know anymore) 30's but perceived by most people to be in my mid to late 20's. i still occasionally get requested for ID when purchasing alcoholic drinks (and the legal age of drinking alcohol here is 18!). i attribute looking younger to genes, jeans, a good facial moisturizer, constantly changing hair, choice of casual clothing - when i am wearing office clothes i probably appear early 30's - and lastly: sorcery. illusion spells. brain hacks over psychic wifi.

You are very encouraging. To go along with what you mentioned, humility is a quality that most "mature" individuals lack and dismissed as an undesirable trait. Maturity to such ones means being notice as somebody as well as putting his or her views on top of everyone else.

I am 21, but am usually taken to be +-7 years depending on whether I grow out my hair and beard or not. If my hair's short and my face clean shaven, then I get treated like a young teenager; being reserved in speech and having a baby face, lanky frame, and an unassuming demeanor seems to equate to "young and naive". On the other hand, if I grow my beard out, speak more frequently, and let my hair do its thing, then people think I'm in my late 20's. My vocal range is very low, a fluid rumble, and people sometimes get startled when they hear me speak naturally for the first time. Because I do behavior therapy, I purposefully allow myself to look older so I will be taken seriously. It's a crutch of sorts to bypass resistance and prevent people from shaming themselves on me.

All in all, I find the gap between reality and reality as perceived to be highly amusing, and not just as it relates to age.

I find that the age people perceive me as corresponds directly to whatever age they need me to be in order for them to boost their own ego by somehow making a comparison of themselves to me. But generally, when I was younger I was perceived as older, and now I am usually perceived to be younger.

Reactions: Free
Typically people thought I was 25 when I was aged 17 - 32. Now people typically think I am younger, unless that person is <20 then they think I am 38+.

I'm always perceived as older than I really am.
Both on looks and personality.

On the important high school literature oral exam my (judgemental) teacher said I had the opinion of an old man. I was supposed to be open for everything. Instead I had made up my mind very clearly about some books (I didn't like them and could tell him exactly why).
I scored a 4 out of 10.

When I was 18 I was approached by a women outside the trainstation. She started some small talk. When I said I just started going to university (imply "I'm 18"), she quickly left. I think she was some desperate ~27 year old looking for a date.

The last years when people I just met guessed my age, they think on average I'm 2 years older than I actually am. Having a beard and being tall helps I guess.

Mentally I also consider myself old(er than I really am). I am wise as fuck. I never get in trouble. Just general maturity I guess.
This applies to common sense & decency, happiness, knowledge and self-control. It applies less to self-activation (I procrastinate a lot) or more complex or intense social relationships.

About having knowledge. I like having approximate knowledge of everything. For example yesterday I watched Interstellar and afterwards decided to watch a 45 min youtube English literature lecture on the villanelle "Do not go gentle into that good night" by Dylan Thomas and form my own interpretation of it (from about 23:00 till 4:00 AM). I was literally still watching the lecture at 3:30 AM with a headache.
Tonight I read the full wiki page of my native language. Then I gave myself a crash course on phonetics and IPA therein focusing on vowels, rhotics and velar fricatives.
Combine this with a good memory and I learned a lot in just two days.

I like having approximate knowledge of many things ;)

Last edited:
... :) and your immense modesty displays a cornucopia of maturity :s

Haha. Yes I imagined someone would call me out on this and that's probably exactly why I did it in the first place.
Because if someone calls me out on it, they might present me with someone or something wiser. I love beings that are wiser than me, because they allow me to learn. I am constantly searching for them. And find them often enough (think: wikipedia page or scientific paper), but rarely in person (it happens, just not very often).

Confidence also plays a part. I don't think confidence is immaturity. Maybe using a word as fuck is, but that doesn't bother me that much.

Also note how I describe my weaknesses (although subtly worded) in the next line.
If I present myself positively I have to also describe something negative. I am currently thinking about how I'm going to manage that during job interviews.

PS. Currently I'm looking for wise beings in this topic: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15709928
If you happen to stumble upon one, let me know.

((Yes, I chose that topic on purpose. This is one of the tougher topics I'm interested in. I'm not currently looking on this. I was looking for it a few months ago, but couldn't find anything so gave up for the time being. Still, if you know anything about it, let me know.))

When I was a kid and a teenager people always thought that I was much older. Now people seem to think that I'm about ten years younger, which would make me around 35. This is sometimes awkward since I had my oldest son at 19. He is turning 26 this month. Last time I went out to dinner with him, the waiter had a look of shock on his face when he said something about his mom pointing at me. My son's married to somebody two years older so my daughter-in-law is 28, which can sometimes be awkward also. They're planning kids soon so that will be interesting, especially since I'm attending university with 20 years old who have no idea the life experience that I have.

Reactions: Scientia
I'm usually perceived younger by appearance,
Yet perceived older via chat or voice chat on the internet.

I remember some years ago when I used to lead raids in WoW.
Someone close to my age thought I was probably some 40 year old dad who played computer games >.> (I was 17)
Took a year or so before the person in question realized through FB that I was of a similar age.. >.>

On "what is your real age" themed surveys I usually score 10-20 years higher then my actual age too >.<

When I was 20 I couldn't get into 15 certificate movies without ID. :nono: While on the other hand when I talk to people (while being serious) they perceive me as being 30 at least...And on the other side of the spectrum if I'm messing around, people seem to think I'm about 13. :dance:

At the end of the day I really don't care about age, I'm just living. :3

People think I'm only five. I'm 26.

Good genes and exercise, you know? :m1:

Reactions: flower
If people are just going by my voice or my writing, usually they assume I'm anywhere between 30 and 50.

If people are just going by my looks and outward demeanor, they assume I'm a teenager or a young college student (not far off tbh).