Your age vs. others' perception of your age | Page 5 | INFJ Forum

Your age vs. others' perception of your age

I'm not sure what it's called in Jewish mysticism but I believe it is called fool for or in Christ if I'm not mistaken. When I was a kidI used to hate when people said I needed therapy. Now, I do take it as a compliment, especially when it's followed by, "You say what we are all thinking, but are afraid too!" That kind of foolishness only comes out after a period of observation and feeling everyone out so to speak, to see what they can handle.

Yeah! In Christianity it's called being a Fool for Christ. Yes, putting out the Ni-Ti feelers, then pondering if what one is about to say is a good idea to say aloud at all, and if 'this crowd' can handle it, and then sometimes going for it anyway despite gut-doubts and sometimes regretting ever saying it!

Yeah! In Christianity it's called being a Fool for Christ. Yes, putting out the Ni-Ti feelers, then pondering if what one is about to say is a good idea to say aloud at all, and if 'this crowd' can handle it, and then sometimes going for it anyway despite gut-doubts and sometimes regretting ever saying it!

Rarely regretting it, but dwelling on it for ages when I do!

Reactions: Night Owl
I know people are obsessed with looking young these days but I am not. With a clean shave people think I look like I am in my late 20's. But I am 41 now. If you don't drink or smoke or do crack or get sun burned or eat junk food you will not age as quickly. My brother is three years younger than I am but looks much older. But he lives in NY, has lots of stress, smoked for a long time, drank a lot for a long time, is sleep deprived, and is heavier than I am. Lifestyle influences how you look and feel in so many ways. Personally I like gray and white hair. My favorite part of not shaving is getting a white chin. Aging gracefully is a virtue. If you are mature and wise but youthful and playful life can be a blast.

"Sorry bab, you do look 24, but you don't look 25, come back with your ID"

Like WTF. Surely if you believe I'm 24, there shouldn't be an issue with me exercising my right to make adult purchases.

Whats with the 7 year window, I could maybe sympathise with the Challenge 21.

Yeah, because appearances change so drastically between 24 and 25, right? :rolleyes:

A lot of liquor stores card if you look under 40 here. I've waited in line behind some guy being carded that hasn't looked 20 in probably 20 years. Ridiculous.

Until recently people always said I look/act older than my age.

I was working at Best Buy when I was 17. I once had a customer come in, and he, just trying to make small talk, asked me what age my kids were. I was like, "I don't have any kids, dude. I'm in freaking HS."

He was really embarrassed and was like, "I thought you seemed older and motherly, so I just assumed. My bad."

The man clearly has no understanding of social grace.

But weird stuff like that used to happen all the time.

Now, I have a friend in her 40s and though she thinks I act older than my age, she'd totally believe me if I said I was in my early 20s. One of our mutual friends agreed (also in her 40s) and said I could totally pass for 21-22 (not that that is too far off from my current age anyway), but it's nice to hear the number go the opposite way for once.

it depends. When I gain a bit of weight, it goes to my face and I look much younger to the point that I get mistaken for a college kid. When I'm on the slimmer side, I usually look my age (or older) with make up. Without make up, I look younger... but also like a hobo

I can't win.

it depends. When I gain a bit of weight, it goes to my face and I look much younger to the point that I get mistaken for a college kid. When I'm on the slimmer side, I usually look my age (or older) with make up. Without make up, I look younger... but also like a hobo

I can't win.

Solution: eat your make up. You'll look slimmer and younger, and employed.

Reactions: Asa
Not sure that would work...

... Pass the ketchup?

How sad. I had to Google what "pass the ketchup" even meant: "a colloquial West Virginian term used as a response to accentuate the unexceptional and simple qualities of any given situation." So yes, pass that ketchup, and pass it well.

How sad. I had to Google what "pass the ketchup" even meant: "a colloquial West Virginian term used as a response to accentuate the unexceptional and simple qualities of any given situation." So yes, pass that ketchup, and pass it well.

lol. No I meant, literally, pass the ketchup. You know, the food flavouring kind. Because you were telling me to eat something normally unpalatable.

You know, when I have to start explaining my jokes to you guys, we all lose.

Reactions: Night Owl
lol. No I meant, literally, pass the ketchup. You know, the food flavouring kind. Because you were telling me to eat something normally unpalatable.

You know, when I have to start explaining my jokes to you guys, we all lose.

Oh, lol. That's the problem with always assuming the non-obvious, and metaphorical.

Well, as I said before, pass that ketchup, and pass it well.

When I was 14-15 folks liked to think I was older. One guy actually thought I was 20 one time. Anyway, nowadays people don't really seem to care about my age. Though online people tend to think I'm younger, because im generally fairly excitable online I think. XP

But my friends always used to say that I looked younger.

Oh... but looks aside, I remember people saying I acted older than the other kids. Now I act younger C:<

In my teens/early 20s, I was often told I look older than I was. Now I'm told I look my age or younger (I'll be 37 on Saturday--ugh). I think I look like a sea hag 95% of the time. The last 5 years have aged me horribly--stupid cortisol, but whatever. It is what it is.

Reactions: Scientia
Often younger; it ranges from 5-10 years younger. It is likely to do my baby face; that and my mannerisms. My mother tells me I have a child-like innocence most adults do not, and I suppose the outfits I pick out.

Reactions: Scientia
Well, that's tough. Id say appearance wise, people see me as younger. Being only 16, that would be 13,14 or 15. However, when people speak to me, they tend to think I'm older than actually am and am wise and intelligent. I guess it would depend on what characteristics you look at.

Reactions: Scientia and Gaze
I was eavesdropping on my mom the other day (not really; I was in bed and she was on the phone- she thought I was asleep probably) and she was trying to describe to a friend what I'm like. She basically said I have six-year-old qualities on the outside (I sing randomly, skip when I'm happy/excited, etc) but than am older than my age on the inside. Kinda feel like that a lot.

At age 13, people guess + 2-5 years. At age 18 + 5-12 years. At age 22 +/- 1 year. At age 26 - 2-4 years. At age 28 - 3-5 years.

Now I'm 30, people guess I'm 25-30, but treats me like I'm 22. Condescending yes, but beneficial! I've got that puppy-license if I don't behave or do what's expected of me, and people have their guards down around me - giving me easy access to any underlying info. If and when I feel the need to get my message across to someone or a group, they're usually not prepared for what's coming and their response will most likely be an honest one, not having the time to prepare an answer that best suits their interests (without looking like they're the kind of person that would do such). If I still feel ego-threatened, I'll follow with a condescending comment "I didn't mean to put you on the spot there". And probably be aroused with guilty pleasure afterwards... then just guilt... and shame... guilty shame... I should start acting my age.

At age 13, people guess + 2-5 years. At age 18 + 5-12 years. At age 22 +/- 1 year. At age 26 - 2-4 years. At age 28 - 3-5 years.

Now I'm 30, people guess I'm 25-30, but treats me like I'm 22. Condescending yes, but beneficial! I've got that puppy-license if I don't behave or do what's expected of me, and people have their guards down around me - giving me easy access to any underlying info. If and when I feel the need to get my message across to someone or a group, they're usually not prepared for what's coming and their response will most likely be an honest one, not having the time to prepare an answer that best suits their interests (without looking like they're the kind of person that would do such). If I still feel ego-threatened, I'll follow with a condescending comment "I didn't mean to put you on the spot there". And probably be aroused with guilty pleasure afterwards... then just guilt... and shame... guilty shame... I should start acting my age.
You should act like you're going to hell