Why do we become what we hate? | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

Why do we become what we hate?

What we hate is often what we fear > people become what they fear because self defeating behaviour.

Reactions: Free
That's the truth of humanity. We feel pain and learn from it, or we ignore the lesson and pass it on to others. Gently I suggest we stop starving any creatures. And provide for each other. Whatever we may see as our divisions.
I had forgotten I had written that. :D Odd how true the parable is ... thanks for the reminder @James. My words below may help in my current struggle with forgiveness;)

How can the story break?...if you "starve" good and evil would that make the wolf hungry? Empty? Both?
Let's hear what you feel and think the additional possibilities are?
What is the one true answer to the story? or, is the reader able to find many answers in the story?
Is the old Cherokee being objective or subjective?
Does the parable of the metaphors confuse the reader?
Is the story intended to cause the reader to think or to feel?
Does the story elicit the feelings in the reader to aim to do better in his or her own life through love and kindness? Or does the story merely give the reader pause to think of being better through envy and hatred?

And, do you hate redundancies or the story because of its popularity? Isn't hate a feeling?
:D

Reactions: Free
I didnt read all posts. However, I believe that Carl Jung(INFJ and inventor of myers) is very adequate with archetypal philosopy. The process of projecting our unconscious onto our conscious imagary or reality. So what is tended to be felt as hate by an individual, is a part of their self denied and unconscious. The more we focus on hating something the more it is true about our own selves, yet rejected and denied.. Or else why would one even spend an ounce of thought hating something if it were not affecting oneself and the pscyhe. In short, if one is hateful, one fears the hated subject because it may take over their self and the subject of demise is unaccepted in one form or another for themselves to accept this as part of who they are.

TL;DRe

I reject the notion of becoming what one hates. I wouldn't become like Hitler for hating him, his influence and his views. Or similarly, but on a different scale, I wouldn't become my father just because I hate him.

The only way I can see this notion to be accurate is if the hated thing is something we can find in ourselves despite seeing it only in the other. And a rejection of that notion within ourselves becomes a dual identity, which may or may not be nurtured for this double standard. However, if that hated object is not within the self, it cannot become of ourselves unless we let it in. And if you don't let it, how would it penetrate into the self?

I don't think people are destined to become what they hate, but destined to become the results of their nature and nurture.

Because more often than not, what we hate is the reflection of what we are trying to hide. Our shadow self also feeds on the fear of becoming our shadow self.

Reactions: Wyote