Why do we become what we hate? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Why do we become what we hate?

Is that a rhetorical question EH? ;)
In this story, you are given only two possibilities. As you likely know by now I fight the idea of limited possibilities when I can. When I think it matters . So, does the story break when both wolves die?

Reactions: Free and Sandie33
In this story, you are given only two possibilities. As you likely know by now I fight the idea of limited possibilities when I can. When I think it matters . So, does the story break when both wolves die?
How can the story break?...if you "starve" good and evil would that make the wolf hungry? Empty? Both?
Let's hear what you feel and think the additional possibilities are?
What is the one true answer to the story? or, is the reader able to find many answers in the story?
Is the old Cherokee being objective or subjective?
Does the parable of the metaphors confuse the reader?
Is the story intended to cause the reader to think or to feel?
Does the story elicit the feelings in the reader to aim to do better in his or her own life through love and kindness? Or does the story merely give the reader pause to think of being better through envy and hatred?

And, do you hate redundancies or the story because of its popularity? Isn't hate a feeling?
:D

An old Cherokee is teaching his grandson about life. “A fight is going on inside me,” he said to the boy.

“It is a terrible fight and it is between two wolves. One is evil – he is anger, envy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, false pride, superiority, and ego.” He continued, “The other is good – he is joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion, and faith. The same fight is going on inside you – and inside every other person, too.”

The grandson thought about it for a minute and then asked his grandfather, “Which wolf will win?”

The old Cherokee simply replied, “The one you feed.”

http://www.virtuesforlife.com/two-wolves/

That's the truth of humanity. We feel pain and learn from it, or we ignore the lesson and pass it on to others. Gently I suggest we stop starving any creatures. And provide for each other. Whatever we may see as our divisions.

That's the truth of humanity. We feel pain and learn from it, or we ignore the lesson and pass it on to others. Gently I suggest we stop starving any creatures. And provide for each other. Whatever we may see as our divisions.
Well said.

sometimes, we let things consume us so much that we unconsciously become what it is.

How can the story break?...if you "starve" good and evil would that make the wolf hungry? Empty? Both?
Let's hear what you feel and think the additional possibilities are?
What is the one true answer to the story? or, is the reader able to find many answers in the story?
Is the old Cherokee being objective or subjective?
Does the parable of the metaphors confuse the reader?
Is the story intended to cause the reader to think or to feel?
Does the story elicit the feelings in the reader to aim to do better in his or her own life through love and kindness? Or does the story merely give the reader pause to think of being better through envy and hatred?

And, do you hate redundancies or the story because of its popularity? Isn't hate a feeling?
:D
A lot of your questions I do not have answers for.
Your question of what are other outcomes...well there are infinite outcomes. I feed both wolves, one male one female, they have pups... :)
I know better than to say "hate". I am annoyed by this story because it attempts to make something simple that is not.

A lot of your questions I do not have answers for.
Your question of what are other outcomes...well there are infinite outcomes. I feed both wolves, one male one female, they have pups... :)
I know better than to say "hate". I am annoyed by this story because it attempts to make something simple that is not.
Understandable
:) Have a beautiful day EH.

Reactions: Free
Reactions: Eventhorizon
Well, hate perpetuates a state of darkness. If you hate, you are not free. If you are actually exerting and focusing your energy enough to hate something, you are poisoning yourself, spiritually, mentally, emotionally, physically.

Reactions: Gaze
We are to conquer our fears. We are to hate the evil, but love the good. If we are busy loving, we have little time for hate. It isn't to say we ALL become what we hate. I have learned to be more graceful with words sometimes when using the word "we".

I learned the use of "we" in the Bible. Isaiah 53 states "6 All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the LORD hath laid on him the iniquity of us all."

I use the term readily, but have found some others are not so receptive and some can take the use of that term personally. I, personally, do not think we become what we hate. Some of us try to make things better. Some of us try and seek to learn what we can about things that may bother us somewhat. Maybe, it does not bother us as much once we understand more about it. WE must be cautious not to look down on someone because of their actions and reasons. Hopefully, someone will come along here and there with bits and pieces of the parts we still do not understand. Those bits and pieces help paint the picture we are seeking to understand.

I remember a game warden came across a couple of guys fishing with dynamite. Game warden told them they couldn't do that. One of the men lit a fuse on a stick and handed it to the game warden. Asked the game warden if he was going to fish or what?
What would you do? Please don't tell me we would all react the same way.

Well, hate perpetuates a state of darkness. If you hate, you are not free. If you are actually exerting and focusing your energy enough to hate something, you are poisoning yourself, spiritually, mentally, emotionally, physically.

It is the law of attraction. You can't eradicate something in your life by thinking about it. You have to work on building something new, and it all begins with thinking differently.

An old Cherokee is teaching his grandson about life. “A fight is going on inside me,” he said to the boy.

“It is a terrible fight and it is between two wolves. One is evil – he is anger, envy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, false pride, superiority, and ego.” He continued, “The other is good – he is joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion, and faith. The same fight is going on inside you – and inside every other person, too.”

The grandson thought about it for a minute and then asked his grandfather, “Which wolf will win?”

The old Cherokee simply replied, “The one you feed.”

http://www.virtuesforlife.com/two-wolves/

Love this story. So, whatever you think about or practice is whatever you grow or develop in your life.

Psychological residue. Toxicity.

When you take something into your mind, it doesn't just go away when you're done with it. It kicks around up there for a while. It makes ripples. Take in enough of something for long enough and you become it. Pretty soon it starts infecting your other thoughts and bleeding over into the choices you make, which may cause reinforcing feedback.

Yep. If you expose your mind to particular kinds of content, it will feed on it, and may come to adapt it because it's what you're feeding your system everyday.

Reactions: Sandie33
I am actually taking this topic from another forum (Gamefaqs, as it turns out), but I thought it was good: why do we become what we hate?

What does the question mean to you, and do people truly become what they hate?

The best response I saw so far was:

I don't believe we become what we hate; instead, we become what is within us. If our hate consumes us then sure it is hate that becomes us. BUT, if it is love or happiness that is our driver then that is what we become. It can be a prison or it can be liberating to the point of existential enlightenment. Each must decide and each must become. Here are a couple songs that remind me of both sides:

Stand In The Light by Jordan Smith

My Own Prison by Creed:

Reactions: Littlelissa
I think human beings hate, judge, blame and condemn what we are afraid to see in ourselves. Hate, judgement, blame and condemnation can be a sort of red flag to remind us to look inside to better understand ourselves, our feelings, and our actions. For me, this is a healthier approach than looking outside of ourselves to alleviate our own pain and anguish through blame, hate, judgement and condemnation.

I've found when I harshly judge another or their behavior I very often later regret it because I eventually realize that I was unaware of some part of myself, which is what caused me to direct negative energy towards another. Whether it be misdirected anger, denial of shortcomings, denial of desires, feelings of powerlessness, etc.

I'm not sure how this concept would apply on a global scale though. This is just how I choose to look at it personally. I remember the old saying, when you point one finger, there are three pointing back at you.

Well I hate that everybody is so hilarious, ridiculously attractive, selfless and astute. Damn them, I hate it!

But you become what you hate so it's O.K.

Reactions: Ren and Wyote
I really love the two wolf's story however I feel rather then a battle its an attempt to keep both well fed and in harmony. Yes they disagree but without one of them you lack key emotions or over representing of certain ones.

If you starve the "angry" wolf then you would begin to erode your ability to stand your ground for things you believe in (in my opinion) you could start to lack ambition to strive for the stars and begin to settle. You might begin to succumb to self doubt due to starving the "false" ego.

On the opposition starving the "happy" wolf would cripple your ability to enjoy other people and over all happiness. You would become a rocket destined to fly into the heavens of possibility but tragically with no way to come back.

In my eyes it really becomes a balance of very strong emotions. Its not something you know its something you practice. Always keeping a keen eye on when someone is taking advantage of either of the "wolf's" within you.

Good thought provoking writing tho from all of you.

Reactions: Ren and Wyote