which is more comforting: void or afterlife? | INFJ Forum

which is more comforting: void or afterlife?

Discussion in 'Philosophy and Religion' started by Vilku, Feb 9, 2012.

Share This Page

?
  1. Void

55.3%
  2. Afterlife

44.7%
Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 3 users.
More threads by Vilku
  1. Vilku

Vilku Community Member

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    9w1, 7w6, 4w3
    i personally find void as comforting, no uncertainty, no suffering, no thing.
    i cant understand how some do not.
    maybe you can explain it if you yourself do not?

im not going into defining afterlife, but the very undefined nature of such possibility makes it scary. what if it lasts for eternity? i cant imagine a more horrible existence.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Billy

Billy Contents Under Pressure
    Donor

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    infj
    Enneagram:
    The thing that sucks about conscious eternity is that you go for so long you pretty much forget everything at some point that makes you you. I remember thinking of that concept for the 1st time after reading Queen of the Damned by Anne Rice lol. One of her characters was so old he couldn't remember much of his original life he was just damned to constantly living and being the same creature but slowly losing his identity to time and experience. In a way its awesome because its an existentialist dream to just experience without too much bias like that, but I would assume after a while it would become quite maddening.

3. This

Banned

Threads:
    MBTI:
    Enneagram:
    Both, it's impossible to adequately display my beliefs in brief on the matter, but I do believe them to be the most comforting ones to me personally.

4. CindyLou

CindyLou Get over it

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    6w5
    An afterlife only if evil is eliminated or separated from me. I'd hate to live or exist forever as a fallible or any experience like this one. Too long and it would be hell. In that instance I'd choose the void.

Gaze likes this.
  5. the

the Si master race.
    Banned

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    ISTJ
    Enneagram:
    9w1
    Have to not worry about the downside of the afterlife would be more comforting so I choose void.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Sloe Djinn

Sloe Djinn Idiot with Internet Access.

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    SOCMOB
    Enneagram:
    Void. Fallout 3 has only so much replay value.

Nixie likes this.
  7. Nixie

Nixie Resurrected

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    ENTP
    I plan on living forever

8. detectivepope

detectivepope Community Member

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    Again, where is the middle option? too many extremes...

9. OP
    Vilku

Vilku Community Member

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    9w1, 7w6, 4w3
    the way i see it:
    live a 100 years, enough? BILLION? mad, couldnt stand.
    etrnity? thats.. worst kind of torture existable.
    i want an ability to leave. and even if you have that, you might forget your past identty who then is a living dead observor of the never ending madness.
    ive actually long believed "i" die while i sleep, and the consciousness next day is just another entity taking the mandatory role.

why? look at science, human brain cells alone are replaced all the time,(100% of them) but then, ive believed so before i knew that.
    and it came spontaneously to me, now i havent thought about whole thing for years.

in materialistic sense, none of us exists for long at all. only the vessel we occupy does.

for long time, i look a half year into my past through memory, and i dont see any similarities to the person "i" was.
    the illusion of memory attempts to give us identity, but i dont believe in it.

thus i cant say for certain the person replacing me would be always smarter than the previous one if enough time is given for possible failures to occur.

but the promise of biological death gives me the certainty this body will get peace if a future entity is not smart enough to end its suffering were it to live worthlessly.

ive come to the conclusion there is no "me". closest thing to that, is this body, especially organ brain.

i see many whove reached a state where they believe to gain identity from something and thus repeat a loop of doing that until their deaths occur.
    that seems rather.. painful, to exist in a loop without space for change in the new entities taking over your body. just mimicking the old patterns.

when i come to think of it, identity is only an illusion. we are all the same.

edit:
    this is actually a very old philosophy of mine from childhood, which ive forgotten yaers ago, yet now your words brought it upon, thank you for that, since this answers where my identity has been in its absence for years when i didnt even remeber my fundamental philosophy.
    and that not remebering this, caused a minor narcistic personality dirsorder for me in 2011 whose source i now understand.
    as ive always had this i am whatever i consider perfect attitude, but npd is imperfect in its limitations for achieving real happiness.

i couldnt see any, so i didnt create one, giving you the power to define what the two options mean.

#9 Vilku, Feb 9, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
  10. manatee

manatee Community Member

Threads:
    MBTI:
    ----
    Enneagram:
    Definitely void. I have a fear of commitment to myself.

11. kucala

kucala The Chameleon Sponge

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    Void.

12. bionic

bionic sexy coconut
    Infraction Bin

Threads:
    MBTI:
    ENTJ
    Enneagram:
    8w9 sp/sx
    I believe in reincarnation. I've had too many connections to my past lives for me to deny that reincarnation could not exist.

13. OP
    Vilku

Vilku Community Member

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    9w1, 7w6, 4w3
    you might blame that on quantum mechanics, if science is to be believed.
    they say, humans have small quantum computers in them.
    if thats right, then itd make so much more sense on intuitions.. weird super powers we poses.
    i sensed a person who i knew i will like before i could even physically see her, even a day before i actually met her. and on the day i met, there i felt her presence before i physically saw her and my first comment to her was.. "you read fanfiction." (translation: ha, i have superpowers and even thou ive never met a person who does that, i just know you do!)

ive also succeeded on "guessing" (feeling) the right answer to a mathematical random number generation which had under 1% (couldnt bother to calculate excact, as calculator is disfuctional.) success chance and you could try only once a day. oh, and i did that 4 days in a row all success. calculate chance for that considered the rarity of chance to try is after 24h of each guess and 4 days a row success, + each day i felt the correct instead of guessing.

now tell me intuition doesnt have quantum mechanics in it.
    im quite convinced of it.
    maybe ill have to watch that neurology doc again.. to find out what thy called the quantum computers in humans.

could you elaborate what its like?

14. bionic

bionic sexy coconut
    Infraction Bin

Threads:
    MBTI:
    ENTJ
    Enneagram:
    8w9 sp/sx
    You mean the global consciousness and morphogenetic fields?

15. Leticia Mejor

Leticia Mejor Community Member

Threads:
    MBTI:
    ENTP mmm
    Enneagram:
    ????
    Void, an afterlife might be populated with supernatural entities and a God. I doubt they mean well.

16. Sai

Sai Community Member

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    Type 2 or 4
    i had a near death experience, and what i "felt" was void.

17. acd

acd Well-known member

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    infp
    Enneagram:
    9w8 sp/sx
    It'd be pretty rad to be reincarnated for...eternity.
    To keep on living and experiencing everything as brand new.
    I've always wanted to be everything and anything.

An afterlife is not a comforting thought for me.
    Because it implies a hell along with a heaven.
    (At least it does to me.)

It also seems like a stasis.. and that is not a pleasant thought.
    I guess void would be alright if that's really what ends up happening.
    It's not like I'd be conscious to know I wasn't existing any longer.

Soulful likes this.
  18. OP
    Vilku

Vilku Community Member

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    9w1, 7w6, 4w3
    i found a document which had artificial neural nework they made a nde upon by starting to kill them, which made them fire up neurons in a weird way, functioning even in the face of death before if inevitable happens, explaining the source of NDE's.

i havent bothered with such theories much if barely at all, although i have my own view i draw of science i know.

but the quantum computers whatever they called them, seemed to explain super intuitions and out of bodies quite well.
    whatever is the distance such a being like human can reach i know not, nor does it occur often enough for two to connect with eachother even if just momentarily.
    + its mostly in unconscious.. thus hardly reachable without proper understanding or drugs.

maybe upon death as survival instinct, those quantum cells send whatever they can to their speciemen.
    from cells view, there is not 7 billion but just two humans. female and male, they never die since theyra not individuals.
    individuals are merely the best form of survival for _these_ cells we are.
    thus, if through quantum mechanics they can give essential info from dying individuals to pass on, to refine the specie, why not? the evolution of the unconscious brains, we'ra still just the minority in brains remeber.

19. mochi

mochi Permanent Fixture

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFP
    Enneagram:
    Afterlife.

I think it would be a terrible thing that so many suffered in life with nothing beyond the peace of death.

For some reason, I don't imagine a hell along with it... But perhaps the idea of one is so unfair it abhors me.

20. JGirl

JGirl no chocolate flavored gum? wow

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    i like to believe i am eternal
    if you find yourself intimidated by the terms eternity and forever, it's probably because you are thinking of them as units of time. so you think, omg what will i do for all eternity?
    i see them as states of being. i think time is only important to us as mortals

Lex Orandi likes this.