which is more comforting: void or afterlife? | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

which is more comforting: void or afterlife?

would you rather have:

• Total voters
Random anomaly is not the nature of reality.

actions have consequences.

we reap what we sow.

Truth liberates, it does not enslave.

Our opinions do not change Truth.

i dont go into assuming how we came to be, but i do go into assuming it wouldnt matter, if the end product and result is the same.

by what divine power your opinion assumingly defines the nature of realitys origins?

and our opinions do change the truth, for every bit of what we call "truth" is subjective conclusions, and thus infp's living in a dream world is just as real as ours. while yes, the amount of fod in our views varies. but this, is not bout that.

I'd like to think there are all possibilities(void, afterlife, reincarnation etc). Any fate specific to the soul.

I wish we knew more about "post mortem".

I sort of see death as an illusion… Or more accurately I see life as an illusion.

I believe that the universe is woven together by a series of (unknown) fundamentals, each interacting and interweaving creating more and more complex rules permitting the physical nature of the universe to exist. Of which we (life) reside at that metaphysical center where all law apply in equal unison. What we acknowledge as our “reality” is merely a glimpse of true existence as it stretches out waning in complexity until you reach the very edges of the whole.

The forces making up existence coalesce at various points in different ways creating diverse forms, some of which are Human. Our existence is like a crystal that forms and then dissolves strictly under the parameters of the solution it is within. However those constituents can be applied in assorted forms in infinite combinations.

Spiritually speaking we can transcend and explore outward into the less complex and more abstract echelons of the universe by recognizing the implementations and limitations of the imposing natural laws and acknowledge our own being beyond what is immediately perceivable within material existence. We exist in many forms simultaneously stretching the whole spectrum from physicality to abstract until we finally transcend God and come face to face with the Void.

So essentially I believe when we die we simply degrade back into the Earth. However, I do not exclude consciousness or more specifically the energy that one might consider the Soul from that fate. And once more just as our body degrades into the physical Earth so does our soul join the energies of the Earth.

An afterlife only if evil is eliminated or separated from me. I'd hate to live or exist forever as a fallible or any experience like this one. Too long and it would be hell. In that instance I'd choose the void.

+1

then best work hard to rid the evil of you and the world!

Reincarnation. Void is just too bleak and when I think about it, if everyone believed in nothing, what's to stop people from randomly killing each other, stealing, and committing other criminal acts if they felt they wouldn't be caught?

Living eternity in the Afterlife is also just too boring for me to think about. I remember a series of books I read when I was younger where the "gods" in them were stuck in that situation of being completely and utterly bored with existence. At some point you would simply stop caring about anything and everything since you were going to keep living on no matter what.

Reincarnation. Void is just too bleak and when I think about it, if everyone believed in nothing, what's to stop people from randomly killing each other, stealing, and committing other criminal acts if they felt they wouldn't be caught?

Living eternity in the Afterlife is also just too boring for me to think about. I remember a series of books I read when I was younger where the "gods" in them were stuck in that situation of being completely and utterly bored with existence. At some point you would simply stop caring about anything and everything since you were going to keep living on no matter what.

that.. is my worst nightmare, what if existence is 100% conscious, ok nice.. but never ending? .. never.. ending... O_O.....

true, we need to reinforce justice by creating an utopian society controlled only by science alone. (including psychology, for example typology would be useful to recognize what 5 year olds might potentially like as their parents might be careless like mine were. thus meaning you go your whole childhood without finding _anything_ you like, except gaming was for me what helped me to forget life with all the lovely social dynamics you get there! <3)

Void. It gives meaning and motivation to this life. Even if it exists, I would not want an eternal afterlife - it devalues contributions that people make and implies a state of being I did not willfully choose. Nor would I want to have an awareness that is separated from the world I treasure; if cognizance is to end, I'd rather it be complete. Additionally, if we do reincarnate, I wouldn't want to be aware of it; I'd feel like I was trapped in the river of MC Escher's Waterfall.

Last edited:
that.. is my worst nightmare, what if existence is 100% conscious, ok nice.. but never ending? .. never.. ending... O_O.....

true, we need to reinforce justice by creating an utopian society controlled only by science alone. (including psychology, for example typology would be useful to recognize what 5 year olds might potentially like as their parents might be careless like mine were. thus meaning you go your whole childhood without finding _anything_ you like, except gaming was for me what helped me to forget life with all the lovely social dynamics you get there! <3)

I'm sorry if this is too personal, but how were your parents careless and hinder you from finding anything you like? I have a two year old and don't want to make that mistake.

I'm sorry if this is too personal, but how were your parents careless and hinder you from finding anything you like? I have a two year old and don't want to make that mistake.

what mbti is, is really the "purpose" you feel your life has.
when it goes wrong, etc your purpose becomes money...
these people are what we know as the selfish capitalists, one whome ive got too much of.
they perceive their off spring as mere material, a status symbol. at least if an esfp gone wrong, etc zero Ni, life in immaturity.
those people are walking corpses, they dont develop into any direction other than backwards.
psychological injuries are nothing when you add the permanent physical ones up to top of it.

as long as you remember to stay cognitively mature and not give up of it, you develop forwards.

and immature esfps.. they absolutely cant understand how someone else could be hurt if they damage another if it doesnt hurt them themselves. es_p's the worst type when immature. completely careless of others.

Ni, ability to see the consequences for es_p's, and when they dont care of others, they have no need for Ni and thus they destroy lives without ever knowing of it nor even caring if they somehow were capable to understand.

for all types, we have to learn to be selfless first to find real happiness, but for infj's thats easy. otherwise you end up living in a delusion like my mother.
ive actually came to the conclusion, mbti is everything about self and selflessness. neither in itself is good, you must have both but when you have both, you stop longing for that something you didnt know what it was until you found it. (which is to have both selflessness and self in the same package.)

thus life is not a battle between evil and good, its a battle between immaturity and maturity.

Void, because afterlife doesnt make sense. :(

the key is to figure out a way it does, but then.. that requires you to abandon the whole concept and build it yourself with aid of science if you like.

I've been thinking about the void as afterlife option for a couple days now. heirs my philosophy.
in religion theirs good and bad, heaven or hell, yin and yang, whatever you call it its their in culture.

Void would be peace like no other, while existence is everything els.
i consider void heaven because if it doesn't exist it cant affect you in any way beneficial or not. ignorance is bliss as they say
While everything is hell, i disconnect any notation to traditional hell, or good and bad. If it exists then it can impact you beneficial or not.
I feel my reasoning simple but effective

i would hope one can choose their level of happiness with the void in that your disposition of existence and emptiness. more emptiness being a calmer reality (maby that of a child), while more existence being more like the life we live now (maturity perhaps).

i can have hopes, one thought that troubles me is that one reaches a void but if you can slip in and out of existence, what of the memory's and life experiences? If just void forever though i guess so be it.
In short though death is as natural as life itself and that is enough for me. Good thread very interesting and refreshing to see some science mixed in peoples opinions.

Last edited:
Continues reincarnation is much more frightening thought to me then blissful dissolution into the eternal Void. Afterlife sounds nice, but Void sounds even nicer. :)

Q: Which is more comforting: void or afterlife?

A: Afterlife. Ending all cognitive processes frighten me to the level of panic.

Q: Which of the ones are you counting on will occur?

A: Void. Unfortunately. I really wish I could be a religious person, but everything in my body tells me it's not true, and that the preachers have no clue what they're talking about. That makes this a very depressing subject to me ..

What, as if we have a choice in the matter?
It will happen one way or another, no point in pretending we can pick and choose.
SILLY PEOPLE.

-Anna

What, as if we have a choice in the matter?
It will happen one way or another, no point in pretending we can pick and choose.
SILLY PEOPLE.

-Anna

Is speculating about it from time to time silly? I disagree ..

Speculating, sure. Speculating is fine. I was being literal :p

-Anna

My first reaction was - I really don't find comfort in either. Are there more choices?
My second reaction was - whatever brings peace.
After thinking about it more I thought that I have some preconceived ideas of what is beyond an earthly life but I don't know for sure.
Then I thought - I'm really curious what is beyond an earthly life.
Then I thought - no matter where we go it will probably be just another journey of some sort.
Maybe we just rest for a while before we come back.