When was the last time you were really happy? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

When was the last time you were really happy?

I agree, I am content these days. I have a pretty set routine (up very early, exercise, go to work, come home and relax for a couple hours then "rinse and repeat"). I find that the structure keeps me going and gives me some order and purpose. I dont' have many worries (other than economic I suppose with the bad economy). I can't say I'm "ecstatic" but there are definitely moments every day when I have a big smile and am happy to be alive. It feels like riding a bike almost....you may stumble or hit something every now and then but then you can recover and keep riding.

It's not really "joyful," and oftentimes i wouldn't even say "pleasurable," but there are moments of pleasure here and there. It's just contentness :)

I'm not sure if this is the frontier of happiness, but it's a good place, I think. I'd like to think (and indeed I do think) that having a life of joy is possible, and i hope I"m on the road towards that goal.

I agree, I am content these days. I have a pretty set routine (up very early, exercise, go to work, come home and relax for a couple hours then "rinse and repeat"). I find that the structure keeps me going and gives me some order and purpose. I dont' have many worries (other than economic I suppose with the bad economy). I can't say I'm "ecstatic" but there are definitely moments every day when I have a big smile and am happy to be alive. It feels like riding a bike almost....you may stumble or hit something every now and then but then you can recover and keep riding.

It's not really "joyful," and oftentimes i wouldn't even say "pleasurable," but there are moments of pleasure here and there. It's just contentness :)

I'm not sure if this is the frontier of happiness, but it's a good place, I think. I'd like to think (and indeed I do think) that having a life of joy is possible, and i hope I"m on the road towards that goal.

:nod: Exactly! Especially the latter 2 parts.

I think I'd have to ask myself the question "When was I actually last unhappy with life?"

I've been going through a lot of bullshit the last two months- Jail twice, parents divorcing, both parents moving from my home town, figuring out where I'm going to stay and, possibly, moving to a big city in Florida with three friends. Shit's changin' but I just don't feel the unhappiness comin' on. I'm optimistic and every day is a chance to see or do something beautiful.

I guess my every day optimism can be summed up by a conversation I had about the weather today:
Me: "Looks like a storm is rollin' in."
Guy: " Looks like it's gonna be a nasty one too. I hope everything's gonna be alright."
Me: "Ha. It always ends up fine, doesn't it?"

See every bad moment as a learning experience and life becomes something a'new.

Hmmm.

There are always things about my life I don't like, but it has been pretty much non-stop happiness since I was 19. Mostly, 'cause I decided to be happy. There's always something enjoyable or amazing about every situation.

I used to think times of happiness were far and few between but I was wrong.

For some reason I never really noticed when I was happy, it was as if i blanked out when I was. The first time I caught this was when my friend's wife took a picture of me and her husband playing with the dogs. The look of happiness in both our faces were real obvious. After that incident I started picking up on the pattern and caught more and more times when I was truly happy.

Happiness and spiritual freedom are two different things of course. I think what you mean as true happiness you're probably refering to spiritual freedom.

Last edited:
I used to think times of happiness were far and few between but I was wrong.

For some reason I never really noticed when I was happy, it was as if i blanked out when I was. The first time I caught this was when my friend's wife took a picture of me and her husband playing with the dogs. The look of happiness in both our faces were real obvious. After that incident I started picking up on the pattern and caught more and more times when I was truly happy.

Happiness and spiritual freedom are two different things of course. I think what you mean as true happiness you're probably refering to spiritual freedom.

I think you're right, Naxx. I never really noticed (or, oddly enough, cared) when I was happy. But 2 days ago I decided to be happy, and to celebrate my happiness. Yesterday was by far the happiest day I've had in years. About halfway through the work day yesterday I was told to go see my boss's boss. This is usually a bad sign. But I told myself, "I'm not going to stress, but I will take this opportunity to learn and improve." Turns out they just wanted to tell me they were giving me a raise! :lol: I even caught myself - more than once - humming out loud, loud enough for co-workers to hear, and I never do that! It was great! Yay for deciding to celebrate my happiness! :D

Erm.
Well it wasn't today, because today was annoying, being Monday and wet and all.

Being happy is my "default mode". To say I am ever really happy is something that doesnt happen much and I am glad because eventually the pendelum would go to the other side and I would become really unhappy. So I try to keep everything at a balance.

At the same time, I accept being really happy and really unhappy just because I like to have everything in moderation - including moderation.

I'm happy often.

This, the sixth decade of my life, when the frost is not only on the pumpkin but in my hair as well, has turned out--unexpectedly--to be the happiest time of my life to date. I'm sure a lot of it can be attributed to finding my soulmate without having to give up the deep emotional bond I have with my roomie, who has been a source of peace and strength to me for the last fifteen years. Instead, we formed a family in which interdependence is a sweet thread that runs through our lives together. It's this and the balance of peace and passion that is the foundation of such an unexpected gift of happiness in the deep autumn of my life. We are all aware of the vicissitudes of life in general and ageing with a disability specifically and make the most of each day we have together, which only adds to the sweetness.

Last edited:
This, the sixth decade of my life, when the frost is not only on the pumpkin but in my hair as well, has turned out--unexpectedly--to be the happiest time of my life to date. I'm sure a lot of it can be attributed to finding my soulmate without having to give up the deep emotional bond I have with my roomie, who has been a source of peace and strength to me for the last fifteen years. Instead, we formed a family in which interdependence is a sweet thread that runs through our lives together. It's this and the balance of peace and passion that is the foundation of such an unexpected gift of happiness in the deep autumn of my life. We are all aware of the vicissitudes of life in general and ageing with a disability specifically and make the most of each day we have together, which only adds to the sweetness.

That is really pretty writing. It takes a pretty mind to think pretty thoughts, and a pretty
mind to write pretty words. Please do cary on.

Thanks, Mayflow. BTW, I'm sorry I misspelled your name last time I addressed you. I think I've butchered a few others as well. I'm not dyslexic or anything; I just need new glasses.

That's ok, Anica, I actually meant for my name to be Mayflower when I first made a username for a forum. It fit because the forum was designed to be like a ship with a main deck and separate cabins and an officer's lounge, a Captains' lounge, an Engine Room - I don't remember what all else, but it was a really well designed layout.

I think I screwed up on the passord or something and wasn't able to use that name, so I just shortened it to Mayflow, which I now like better because it feels more Zen or Taoist and sort of free-flowing to me. Also, it's much less common than Mayflower, so I can keep the same name most everwhere I may visit on the net.

ALso, my real name is Maynard - and sometimes on the net people have not known my gender and usually wind up just calling me "May" for short. It makes it easy for them.

Last edited:
The last time I was truly happy was 90 minutes ago while enjoying a delicious meal.

My life is a wave, or a sine function of sorts. I have almost regular highs, which are usually pretty spiritual and full of self understanding and a need for freedom; then, I begin to become melancholy from the understanding that I am not free to be as I would want; then, after a while, I slip into my shadow; and finally, I realize that I am not as I should be, get myself out of my shadow, and revert back to my high point.
And so it continues.

It has been going like this since probably late middle school, when I began really having to deal with societal obligations. Before that, I had a few low points (and one of my lowest was actually around 5th grade), but generally I was more happy.

when was the last time i was happy?

hmm...you ask as if it were a thousand years ago when i was haha
no no i am happy now ^^ it is i who chooses what to feel like, i control myself and i am indeed happy right now ...
do you mean joy? or do you mean happiness? lol

Probably when I was about 5 or 6. It's not that would call myself unhappy now, but that was probably the last time when I was consistently satisfied. Ever since then, there have been sources of stress that I knew would crop up periodically, so I haven't been in a purely happy state of mind for more than a day at a time.

5 or 6yo was the last time I can remember being completely happy. I don't know if this is because my memory has a way of gilding the past.

I don't know if I hope to ever be completely happy for the rest of my life.

To me, happiness is a fleeting emotion. I have been happy recently, but I have not felt content in a long time.

I don't think I ever really feel completely happy but when I think back about my past I inflect complete and total happiness to situations because I miss them and wish i could revisit them. I think the only time I actually feel this complete happiness is when I'm dreaming, because when you're dreaming you know of nothing except the now (and I've recently perfected lucid dreaming which is SWEET).

I feel pretty darn happy when I'm playing music with my band and I just stop thinking and start doing and just kinda mesh with the emotions in the room around me. But then again, I'm kinda strange.