What is most important to you? (pick one) | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

What is most important to you? (pick one)

Finding love and being a service to others are tied in my book. I feel that if I have love (in a variety of different ways; family, friends, romantically) and that if I'm helping make this world more tolerable, everything else falls into place. I don't want to find love, I want to be love.

My initial response would have been number 5, but thinking more about it....

7. winning; being the best

One thing that has bugged me throughout my life is I have yet to find that one thing I truly excel at. Trying to say this as modestly as possible, but I tend to be above average at almost everything I tackle in life, whether it be a new job, a new hobby, a new sport, or whatever. But still I haven't found anything that I am excellent at or have a natural talent for and it bugs me because it seems like most people have something in life that is their specialty. Almost everyone I know has this.

Maybe I'm just being overly critical of myself...or I move onto other things before giving the previous ones time to develop. Or maybe I am looking at talents too literally and I have something else I'm not aware of. Who knows?

Last edited:
My initial response would have been number 5, but thinking more about it....

One thing that has bugged me throughout my life is I have yet to find that one thing I truly excel at. Trying to say this as modestly as possible, but I tend to be above average at almost everything I tackle in life, whether it be a new job, a new hobby, a new sport, or whatever. But still I haven't found anything that I am excellent at or have a natural talent for and it bugs me because it seems like most people have something in life that is their specialty. Almost everyone I know has this.

Maybe I'm just being overly critical of myself...or I move onto other things before giving the previous ones time to develop. Or maybe I am looking at talents too literally and I have something else I'm not aware of. Who knows?

Maybe you're one of those privileged people who has the potential to excel at anything ;)

I place equal importance on most of those, except number one. You should be having fun with everything you do, life is too short not to.

I place equal importance on most of those, except number one. You should be having fun with everything you do, life is too short not to.

I agree wholeheartedly :)

without doubt

4. being of service to others

I see this as the highest manifestation of each of the other choices.

Serving need not be submission to a vocation of service. Rather, in my mind, any time one understands and appreciates their unique gifts and talents enough to allow them expression, they serve.

Loving is service.
Laughing is service.
Understanding is service.
Knowing is service.
Justice is service.
Excellence is service.

I think when one is fully expressed in the world, they cannot help but serve others through the expression they offer into the world.

Often the trick is understanding our gift and then trusting it enough to allow it voice.

Reactions: Morgain
EIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

3. doing the right thing

I see this as the highest manifestation of each of the other choices.

Serving need not be submission to a vocation of service. Rather, in my mind, any time one understands and appreciates their unique gifts and talents enough to allow them expression, they serve.

Loving is service.
Laughing is service.
Understanding is service.
Knowing is service.
Justice is service.
Excellence is service.

I think when one is fully expressed in the world, they cannot help but serve others through the expression they offer into the world.

Often the trick is understanding our gift and then trusting it enough to allow it voice.

this is interesting

so what you say is that when you truly embraze and express your talents and passions, you automaticaly serve others? so not deliberately serving others just to serve them and putting yourself aside (or only finding your fullfilment out of serving) but the other way around, fully expressing yourself will ultimately serve others? I always feel a strong resistance against the first (serving to serve) but I strongly believe in the second. This is true and is the most harmonious way of being in the world, this is what we are ment to do :becky:

which of these is most important to you and why?

1. having fun
2. being yourself & being understood
3. doing the right thing
5. understanding the world & yourself
8. standing up for yourself, defending your rights
9. finding love
Jumping up and down....throwing a fit....sigh...3. doing the right thing.
For me, everything seems to come from this one conviction, and in a way it would be fulfilling many of the other numbers. Doing the right thing does not mean getting run over. "Doing the right thing" creates a real understanding of myself and others and it enables me to help/love them in a real way. All of it is a balance. The hardest one to fit into the "doing the right thing" is finding love....at times it will draw someone and then other times....

1. having fun
3. doing the right thing
9. finding love

Unless I'm mistaken, some of these are inexplicable linked to others. I guess number 5 would be the most important to me.

Jumping up and down....throwing a fit....sigh...3. doing the right thing.
For me, everything seems to come from this one conviction, and in a way it would be fulfilling many of the other numbers. Doing the right thing does not mean getting run over. "Doing the right thing" creates a real understanding of myself and others and it enables me to help/love them in a real way. All of it is a balance. The hardest one to fit into the "doing the right thing" is finding love....at times it will draw someone and then other times....

I agree, which is a big part of why I chose #3. To me, "doing the right thing" entails so much, and regardless of what it means to each person subjectively, it is related to a lot of others on that list.

this is interesting

so what you say is that when you truly embraze and express your talents and passions, you automaticaly serve others? so not deliberately serving others just to serve them and putting yourself aside (or only finding your fullfilment out of serving) but the other way around, fully expressing yourself will ultimately serve others? I always feel a strong resistance against the first (serving to serve) but I strongly believe in the second. This is true and is the most harmonious way of being in the world, this is what we are ment to do

You read me exactly right. :)

The section bolded above describes well what I see. It doesn't have to be a specific action meant to serve others (though it could be). To my sense, simply being the fullest expression of one's self is service the world.

Reactions: Morgain
You read me exactly right.
happy.gif

The section bolded above describes well what I see. It doesn't have to be a specific action meant to serve others (though it could be). To my sense, simply being the fullest expression of one's self is service the world.

:kiss: thank you! that is exactly what I deeply feel to be the true but was afraid to be nothing more then selfishness! And I experience it myself. By being the fullest expression of myself, I don't necessarily give more to people but what I give more often hits solid grounds, its fuller, it means more...

Reactions: jn56uytrx
1. having fun.

you have to be smart about it, of course. but if you're really smart you can make all of the aspects of your life fun. have a job thats fun to you, a spouse who's fun, hobbies which are fun. if you aren't having fun right now, you're wasting life. period. just to note, reckless fun can be bad, and not very much fun later.

fun's kind of a weird word. i've been doing that lately, thinking of words and just be like WTF fun? where did that word come from? like the way it sounds. ii know, i'm weird.

1. having fun
3. doing the right thing
9. finding love

Number 3, but I also see the number 5 and first half of number 2 as being vital subsets to number 3

This one is most important to me. I have a tremendous thirst for knowledge and understanding. It seems to, for me, make everything else fall into place.

I'm starting to see the importance of this one as well however. What good is understanding myself if I don't feel free to be myself ... or feel compelled to act differently? This might be the root of some relationship problems I have had in the past.