What do you think you were born to be? | INFJ Forum

What do you think you were born to be?

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy

It doesn't have to be fate, etc. Just a question of, what do you think, in your opinion, were you quintessentially born to do or be? Doesn't have to be a profession or calling, just something which reflects what's unique about what you have been able to uniquely contribute in your way to the world.

For example, I don't think i was meant to be a leader in a traditional sense of the word, but i think i have an emotional leadership style. I think i was born not to teach but to use what i know to facilitate emotional learning whether directly or indirectly.

A suicide victim. :p

No, in all seriousness...probably an artist of some kind. That sounds pretentious. Ugh.

It doesn't have to be fate, etc. Just a question of, what do you think, in your opinion, were you quintessentially born to do or be? Doesn't have to be a profession or calling, just something which reflects what's unique about what you have been able to uniquely contribute in your way to the world.

For example, I don't think i was meant to be a leader in a traditional sense of the word, but i think i have an emotional leadership style. I think i was born not to teach but to use what i know to facilitate emotional learning whether directly or indirectly.

"...facilitate emotional learning..." I like the sound of those words but don't think I understand exactly your meaning. WWill you describe a fictional example?

Reactions: Feelings
I was born to challenge peoples opinions.

I was born, not to teach professionally, but to teach people to open their eyes more and to see what's really in front of them, not what they think is there or what they want to be there.

"...facilitate emotional learning..." I like the sound of those words but don't think I understand exactly your meaning. WWill you describe a fictional example?

@K-gal

I'm, like many here, a lifelong learner. And one of the things which makes learning or wanting to learn possible and inviting is how it makes us feel. For me, I feel more alive when I'm emotionally engaged in what I am learning. In other words, our emotional state has a bigger effect on our success than we often realize. Recognizing this is not easy since most of our upbringing tells us to deny our emotional selves, or pretend they don't have an impact on our productivity, effectiveness, or ability to achieve our goals. By bringing this to our awareness, anyone can can influence someone's personal and social growth by acknowledging the impact of emotions on development and learning, making it more likely that we can handle the difficulties we face everyday, and feel renewed in pursuing those goals we strive to make happen for ourselves or anyone else.

What This Means to You as a Lifelong Learner

Emotions matter! How you feel about your ability to learn matters. Whether or not you are interested in the subject matters. And whether you feel joy in learning or fear and stress matters. Positive emotions can open the door to learning for you. Negative emotions—especially overwhelming stress—can literally lock it shut.

http://www.learningdoorway.com/emotions-and-learning.html

Emotions and learning occur in the brain. Learning means acquiring knowledge or skills. Learning requires thinking. Our thoughts influence how we feel. How we feel influences how we think. The connections between emotion and learning are bi-directional and complex. When we think about a happy incident our mood improves. When we think about an angry incident, we are likely to feel angry. Also, being in a happy mood causes us to think happy thoughts; being in a sad mood brings sad and negative memories and images to mind. There is much research to support that our current mood influences the way we think, perceive events, remember and make decisions. Being optimistic makes us think more positively, be more creative and see and remember neutral events as positive.

Because we cannot see our emotions directly, we look to our behavior and that of others to infer how we feel. So our emotions are determined by our interpretation, or what we think about what we see. For example, if someone bumps into us while we are waiting in a line, if we decide that the person who bumped us did this deliberately, we would react with anger. If we conclude that the person tripped on something on the floor, we wouldn't get angry or take defensive action. Also what we expect to happen influences our emotional reaction. If we expect to enjoy a movie, we probably will. If someone told us that we wouldn't like it, we likely won't. Our expectations become our reality and are remembered as such.

Emotions are the relay stations between sensory input and thinking. When the input is interpreted positively, we are motivated to act and achieve a goal. When the input is interpreted negatively, we do not act and do not learn. Negative emotions can be the cause or the effect of problems with learning. Anxiety, depression and anger or frustration can interfere with learning and can result from problems with learning, creating a maladaptive and self-defeating pattern of behavior, which prevents learning and stunts mental/emotional growth. Lack of success or failure to achieve our goals can be externalized as anger, frustration and acting out, or internalized as anxiety and depression. These emotions are toxic to our well-being and color our world in shades of black and gray. Enjoyment colors our world in bright colors, motivates us to succeed and brings pleasure to life. We cannot become emotionally intelligent if we are unable to learn to think rationally and control our emotions.

http://www.cdl.org/resource-library/articles/connect_emotions.php
[/quote]

Reactions: Galileo
A counselor, an emotional caretaker of some sort, and someone to challenge the way people think/view the world.

Reactions: Gaze
I was born to teach. More specifically, to teach kids to question rather than regurgitate.

I was born to challenge peoples opinions.

I was born, not to teach professionally, but to teach people to open their eyes more and to see what's really in front of them, not what they think is there or what they want to be there.

Oh yes. I can totally see that about you [MENTION=3230]Galileo[/MENTION]. :nod:

i was born to start to decay at 20 and then slowly get worse over the years and finally die when i'm old enough.

At my age, I can say that I was born to be whom I became and that, when I was young, I could not have known what that would be. If you're young, you're lucky if you also don't know what you'll become because life is best when it is full of surprise and discovery.

I was born to make great discoveries that will reshape our understanding of the universe.

Edit: Clearly not to be a world-class speller :D.

Last edited:
Solar wind.

My soul is near the end of its journey and in a
few lives my soul will transcend from organisms
to that of solar wind. The supreme existence.

Reactions: invisible
[URL="http://forums.infjs.com/[MENTION=2926 said:
Bird[/MENTION]"][MENTION=2926]Bird[/MENTION][/URL];464297]Solar wind.

aw now this is just way cool...

Reactions: Bird
I can't say, that as I have many aspects of myself to consider, (the typical INFJ is supposed to have an "unusual range, and depth of skills) and these are often very different and contradictory abilities and roles, but I think if anyone of my passions/interests and values influences others for the good, and it brings us that much closer to the a more "integrated" rather than "perfect" society than I'd be happy. I'm going to campaign for this until it happens of course....and that's part of why I love the Martial Arts so much; they bring people together, and unify them with the intent (usually) of protecting a common interest, goal, or idea....some of these things are worth fighting for...and I like knowing I have the skill, and ability to do so; though I hate the idea of hurting a person, because I think of them as apart of the same source, I do believe that by including them in my effort, I not only build the power of numbers, but allow them to feel apart of something larger than themselves.....we all need to feel that from time to time, not just physically, but mentally, and emotionally.

@K-gal

I'm, like many here, a lifelong learner. And one of the things which makes learning or wanting to learn possible and inviting is how it makes us feel. For me, I feel more alive when I'm emotionally engaged in what I am learning. In other words, our emotional state has a bigger effect on our success than we often realize. Recognizing this is not easy since most of our upbringing tells us to deny our emotional selves, or pretend they don't have an impact on our productivity, effectiveness, or ability to achieve our goals. By bringing this to our awareness, anyone can can influence someone's personal and social growth by acknowledging the impact of emotions on development and learning, making it more likely that we can handle the difficulties we face everyday, and feel renewed in pursuing those goals we strive to make happen for ourselves or anyone else.

http://www.learningdoorway.com/emotions-and-learning.html

Emotions and learning occur in the brain. Learning means acquiring knowledge or skills. Learning requires thinking. Our thoughts influence how we feel. How we feel influences how we think. The connections between emotion and learning are bi-directional and complex. When we think about a happy incident our mood improves. When we think about an angry incident, we are likely to feel angry. Also, being in a happy mood causes us to think happy thoughts; being in a sad mood brings sad and negative memories and images to mind. There is much research to support that our current mood influences the way we think, perceive events, remember and make decisions. Being optimistic makes us think more positively, be more creative and see and remember neutral events as positive.

Emotions are the relay stations between sensory input and thinking. When the input is interpreted positively, we are motivated to act and achieve a goal. When the input is interpreted negatively, we do not act and do not learn. Negative emotions can be the cause or the effect of problems with learning. Anxiety, depression and anger or frustration can interfere with learning and can result from problems with learning, creating a maladaptive and self-defeating pattern of behavior, which prevents learning and stunts mental/emotional growth. Lack of success or failure to achieve our goals can be externalized as anger, frustration and acting out, or internalized as anxiety and depression. These emotions are toxic to our well-being and color our world in shades of black and gray. Enjoyment colors our world in bright colors, motivates us to succeed and brings pleasure to life. We cannot become emotionally intelligent if we are unable to learn to think rationally and control our emotions.

http://www.cdl.org/resource-library/articles/connect_emotions.php
[/QUOTE]

I can look back on my time in graduate school a few years ago and see where this concept applied for me. My first research professor used to be a cop and had no care whether we lived or died in his class. His mo was intimidation and challenging. For some reason when I went to him, the one and only time, to get some feedback and direction on my research topic - he frightened me into a panic. I couldn't breathe and couldn't think. I was so upset I went to another professor and she talked me back to reality. That one incident colored my relationship to my research paper and I did not do it justice although I cared greatly about the topic. It was a herculean effort on my part just to get through those 2 semesters of research. And it was all because Fear held sway in my mind when I even so much as thought about what to write next and so on. If it weren't because my professors (other than him) knew my capabilities were there (albeit hidden) and encouraged me - I don't think I would have finished and graduated. I never could discover what he triggered in me.

This topic suggests that we, as lifelong learners, are so good at learning because we love to learn and then vice versa. It's a self feeding loop.

I can see where you'd be enthusiastic if you could affect young learners in an emotional positive way about learning. The results of knowledge gained by them would rocket off the charts. And it would continue on in to college as well.

Thank you for explaining the concept to me, [MENTION=1669]Res[/MENTION]. :nod:

Solar wind.

Your soul is going to be a stream of charged particles exiting the solar system?