What Books Are You Currently Reading? (Part 2) | Page 5 | INFJ Forum

What Books Are You Currently Reading? (Part 2)

Just curious: what's the proportion of fiction to non-fiction that people tend to read?

In my case, there's a huge bias in favour of non-fiction (though I get my fix of fiction elsewhere I think).
I imagine that fiction is more popular with most people.

non-fiction, I come here for fiction

upload_2018-9-3_12-51-17.png

Accidentally posted this in the member's photo thread haha! Buuuuuuut! I just got this beauty and I am super duper happy. :)

upload_2018-9-4_8-30-5.png
This summer I read Phenomena, Area 51 and now The Pentagon's brain all by Annie Jacobsen. All based on previous reporting, recent Freedom of Info Act released documents and extensive interviews with retired officials freed form secrecy oaths due to declassification, there is way more that remains classified.

Reactions: Wyote
Screen Shot 2018-09-04 at 10.49.07 AM.png

I recently finished Infinite Jest; my first DFW novel, and boyyyyyy what an adventure that was. I've never had to look up so many words I didn't know the meaning of [what is a quincunx?] It was witty and disturbing and it paralleled the reality of the current political state.. I could really see our president doing a lot of things the one in this book did. But now I'm hooked and thirsting for more. I'd say this was a pretty good introduction to postmodernism.. or.. "post-postmodernism."

Also, I always like to pick a favorite quote or section from a book I'm reading. This one about depression hit a little too close to home:

"Sarcasm and jokes were often the bottle in which clinical depressives sent out their most plangent screams for someone to care and help them."

Reactions: Wyote and neko
giphy.gif

Cunxidelic

Last edited:
Reactions: Stu
Screen Shot 2018-09-13 at 9.12.46 PM.png

I recently finished my third Hemingway novel, For Whom the Bell Tolls. First, I just want to proclaim that I love Hemingway so, so very much, and I love books from this period. His style of writing can be very calm and simplistic, but this book, and many of his others set in Spain during the Spanish Civil War, was actually pretty action-packed. The plot is set in Spain and focuses on an American fighting as a guerrilla fighter of sorts against the Franco fascist forces. This book really moved me a lot.. it focuses on the damage war inflicts on man. The bell in the title refers to the funeral bell, and is an allusion to metaphysical poet Jon Donne's belief that when one person dies, all of humanity loses something. So when the funeral bell tolls, don't ask for whom it tolls. It tolls for you.

“I had an inheritance from my father,
It was the moon and the sun.
And though I roam all over the world,
The spending of it’s never done.”

Too many in one go, haha:.

The Old Curiosity Shop, Charles Dickens;
Collected Maxims, La Rochefoucauld;
Middlemarch, George Eliot;
The Trial, Franz Kafka.
My Autobiography, Charles Chaplin.

I have a few more coming from the library - most of which are enneagram related - so I better pick up the pace :smilingimp:

Too many in one go, haha:.

The Old Curiosity Shop, Charles Dickens;
Collected Maxims, La Rochefoucauld;
Middlemarch, George Eliot;
The Trial, Franz Kafka.
My Autobiography, Charles Chaplin.

I have a few more coming from the library - most of which are enneagram related - so I better pick up the pace :smilingimp:
Oooh. Tell me what you think about The Trial and Middlemarch!! I read both earlier this year. The Trial left me in a weird mood for days.

Gates of Fire by Steven Pressfield

I actually saw that book while browsing online on Amazon. Been thinking of buying it! How is it so far? :)

I actually saw that book while browsing online on Amazon. Been thinking of buying it! How is it so far? :)

That's actually where I got my copy lol. I highly recommend it, especially if you like mythology, Greek language, and epics. Pressfield certainly did a great job making each of the character's background story come alive. Also, it differs way more than the films, but I do like the movies too :smile:.

That's actually where I got my copy lol. I highly recommend it, especially if you like mythology, Greek language, and epics. Pressfield certainly did a great job making each of the character's background story come alive. Also, it differs way more than the films, but I do like the movies too :smile:.

That's awesome! I will have to check it out. :)

What other book genres do you enjoy?

And oh yeah! I just finished reading Contact by Carl Sagan, and I watched the movie right after. Both are great, but there are definitely some inconsistencies and vast differences. I am always hesitant to watch a movie that are based on a books because I always end up being disappointed haha.

Books are always a tad better than the films. :grin:

Reactions: Ginny and Wyote
That's awesome! I will have to check it out. :)

What other book genres do you enjoy?

And oh yeah! I just finished reading Contact by Carl Sagan, and I watched the movie right after. Both are great, but there are definitely some inconsistencies and vast differences. I am always hesitant to watch a movie that are based on a books because I always end up being disappointed haha.

Books are always a tad better than the films. :grin:

Uhh romance novels and history hehe. Also, some comedy such as How to Archer (I recommend this). I just bought Pride and Prejudice and The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich. Which reminds me I can't wait for season 3 of The Man in the High Castle to premiere tomorrow.

Yeah novels and movies tend to differ from each other. Mostly for entertainment purposes. I haven't watched Contact in years lol. I might put it in my reading list :)