What Books Are You Currently Reading? (Part 2) | INFJ Forum

What Books Are You Currently Reading? (Part 2)

hush

Retired Staff
Aug 23, 2011
MBTI
pocketoli
Enneagram
Continuing from Part 1, which can be found here.

Which enchanting tomes currently hold your interest?

4bd66d7728ba4fcd9fc41a2f9164d854.jpg

Kindred by Octavia Butler is on a book club list, so I'm thinking of reading it. Here's the deets.

The first science fiction written by a black woman, Kindred has become a cornerstone of black American literature. This combination of slave memoir, fantasy, and historical fiction is a novel of rich literary complexity. Having just celebrated her 26th birthday in 1976 California, Dana, an African-American woman, is suddenly and inexplicably wrenched through time into antebellum Maryland. After saving a drowning white boy there, she finds herself staring into the barrel of a shotgun and is transported back to the present just in time to save her life. During numerous such time-defying episodes with the same young man, she realizes the challenge she’s been given: to protect this young slaveholder until he can father her own great-grandmother.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/60931.Kindred

I am reading The Monk Who Sold His Ferrari. Author of this book is Robin Sharma.

Reactions: Jexocuha and Szhrh
The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown.. which is taking me forever to finish. :m142::m167:

Reactions: Jexocuha
The other day, I started the Accursed Kings series by Maurice Druon on recommendation from a friend. I'm on the first book, The Iron King and I'm about 40 pages in. Really enjoying it so far.

The Iron King – Philip the Fair – is as cold and silent, as handsome and unblinking as a statue. He governs his realm with an iron hand, but he cannot rule his own family: his sons are weak and their wives adulterous; while his red-blooded daughter Isabella is unhappily married to an English king who prefers the company of men.

A web of scandal, murder and intrigue is weaving itself around the Iron King; but his downfall will come from an unexpected quarter. Bent on the persecution of the rich and powerful Knights Templar, Philip sentences Grand Master Jacques Molay to be burned at the stake, thus drawing down upon himself a curse that will destroy his entire dynasty…

Reactions: Jexocuha and aeon
The Gnosis of the Light
A Translation of the Untitled Apocalypse contained in the Codex Brucianus with Introduction and Notes
By F. Lamplugh, B.A.; John M. Watkins

Reactions: Jexocuha and Free
Today I started reading "The Count of Monte Cristo" by Dumas. I'm enjoying it so far. I am already interested in the characters. I know that I'm going to start getting really involved in it.

Something I sometimes read in a book is "he went pale". I've never noticed anyone go pale in real life.

As I begin reading this novel I think to myself, do such treacherous people exist in the real world? I think that yes, they do

Thinking, Fast & Slow and the complete works of HP Lovecraft.

I really want to read some Lovecraft sometime.

This is what i have, totally recommend if you're interested/like his work:

$_57.JPG

He's ambiguously racist though (due to his xenophobia and being a product of his time) so keep that in mind.

This is what i have, totally recommend if you're interested/like his work:

$_57.JPG

He's ambiguously racist though (due to his xenophobia and being a product of his time) so keep that in mind.

I've seen that edition, it is very attractive!

It's interesting that some people who live in times that are racist (or otherwise in some way deplorable) produce racist art, while others in the same circumstances produce art that challenges racism... it's interesting to see the differences

The Life and Teaching of Jesus Christ, by The Rev. Jules Lebreton, SJ 1935: √The Chanaanitish Woman, 'Our Lords reserve--the woman's petition--Her prayer is heard'.
Tough read, was translated from French to English...I believe some in incorrect context.

Ah it's not really official/published stuff, but I am currently devouring adventure/action fanfics at a rapid rate. The average of which is usually about 50k+ words. Hopefully by the time i'm through the last batch of them, I can resume devouring new Sci-fi and Fantasy audiobooks. I kinda had trouble finding good ones that I had not read yet.

I unfortunately cannot stand reading the same book twice, and I cannot do this with the majority of other media formats either...

Reactions: Jexocuha and Enkidu
H.P. Lovecraft :The Shadow Over Innsmouth
51vkrArg2nL.jpg
In Defense of Sanity: The Best Essays of G.K. Chesterton
51bgEJDdMwL.jpg

Reactions: Jexocuha