What Books Are You Currently Reading? (Part 2) | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

What Books Are You Currently Reading? (Part 2)

I mentioned it before here, but the Broken Earth trilogy by N.K. Jemisin. I'm finally on the last book. For anyone who loves sci find (with strong female protagonists) it's a great read. Her world building is amazing. When I find a good book or series, I tend to try to get my hands on anything else the author has written. So after this I'm going to start The Inheritance Trilogy. But after reading The Broken Earth, it's hard to see how she will top the world she created there.

I love reading really engrossing sci fi and fantasy. So if anyone has any suggestions for good series or authors, please let me know!

When I find a good book or series, I tend to try to get my hands on anything else the author has written. So after this I'm going to start The Inheritance Trilogy.
First of all, ditto. Second, do you mean Christopher Paolini? If it is, I'm sorry in advance if I seem to make fun of you. I don't. I just try to take the sting out of correcting people (which is a bad habit I can't seem to shake).

So, do you mean the Inheritance Cycle? Or do you want to cleverly say that you only have in mind to read three of the books, instead of all four? (FYI, I am ashamed to admit, I haven't read the fourth yet.)

Unless you mean another, actual trilogy, in which case, what I said about me still counts, but you can take the opportunity to put me in my place. If you hadn't planned on doing it already.

Third, I am a highly irritating person today and it sucks.

Fourth: what kind of fantasy do you read? I may know something, but my taste may be too juvenile for you.

First of all, ditto. Second, do you mean Christopher Paolini? If it is, I'm sorry in advance if I seem to make fun of you. I don't. I just try to take the sting out of correcting people (which is a bad habit I can't seem to shake).

So, do you mean the Inheritance Cycle? Or do you want to cleverly say that you only have in mind to read three of the books, instead of all four? (FYI, I am ashamed to admit, I haven't read the fourth yet.)

Unless you mean another, actual trilogy, in which case, what I said about me still counts, but you can take the opportunity to put me in my place. If you hadn't planned on doing it already.

Third, I am a highly irritating person today and it sucks.

Fourth: what kind of fantasy do you read? I may know something, but my taste may be too juvenile for you.
No but the name is similar.
The Broken Earth Trilogy
The Inheritance Trilogy

However, now I am looking into Christopher Paolini's Inheritance Cycle since you mentioned it!

My favorite sci fi author is Octavia Butler (I cannot recommend the Parable of the Shower series and the Patternist series enough.) I also like some stuff by Sheri Tepper (Grass was great!) I like Margaret Atwood and Ray Bradbury also. I don't know a ton about the genre but those authors I've liked and read almost all their work. I'm always looking for more authors whose work I really click with.

Reactions: Ginny
I mentioned it before here, but the Broken Earth trilogy by N.K. Jemisin. I'm finally on the last book. For anyone who loves sci find (with strong female protagonists) it's a great read. Her world building is amazing. When I find a good book or series, I tend to try to get my hands on anything else the author has written. So after this I'm going to start The Inheritance Trilogy. But after reading The Broken Earth, it's hard to see how she will top the world she created there.

I love reading really engrossing sci fi and fantasy. So if anyone has any suggestions for good series or authors, please let me know!

Ha, I was just about to pop in to say that I'm reading The Broken Earth trilogy now; just started on Book 3 last night. I too am a sucker for world-building. It's hard for me to really enjoy a fantasy/sci-fi story without being able to immerse myself in the setting. Jemisin does a phenomenal job with that.

Reactions: Ginny and acd
Ha, I was just about to pop in to say that I'm reading The Broken Earth trilogy now; just started on Book 3 last night. I too am a sucker for world-building. It's hard for me to really enjoy a fantasy/sci-fi story without being able to immerse myself in the setting. Jemisin does a phenomenal job with that.
On top of that the characters are all really well developed and complex. Alabaster was my fave. But it's the origin and nature of the Stone Eaters, and their link with the orogenes that really has me hooked.

I guess my taste has heretofore gone more into the Urban Fantasy niche than Science Fiction. Clare, Rowling, Lukianenko, even (in part) Gier, have been the most influential for me. With Clare, I like that she places her stories (trilogies) within the same universe, though at different times and places. Lukianenko is the only one I have read who writes for adults, and I remember he also wrote a few Science Fiction novels. I think he might be someone you'd enjoy reading.

Reactions: acd
On top of that the characters are all really well developed and complex. Alabaster was my fave. But it's the origin and nature of the Stone Eaters, and their link with the orogenes that really has me hooked.

It's interesting how my view of 'Baster mirrored Essun's herself - I couldn't stand him at first, but grew to love him.

Everything about the setting is rife with mystery. I'm kind of a geology nut anyway so it's fascinating to read a fantasy story so tightly interwoven with natural phenomena. I also really appreciate magic systems like orogeny that utilize plausible/believable physical processes.

As for recommendations - on the epic fantasy side I can't recommend Robin Hobb enough. Her Realms of the Elderlings saga (all 16 books, starting with Assassin's Apprentice) is the best thing I've ever read in the genre, and perhaps the only book series I've read where I've truly felt that I watched characters grow up and live entire lives before my eyes.

Reactions: Ginny and acd
I guess my taste has heretofore gone more into the Urban Fantasy niche than Science Fiction. Clare, Rowling, Lukianenko, even (in part) Gier, have been the most influential for me. With Clare, I like that she places her stories (trilogies) within the same universe, though at different times and places. Lukianenko is the only one I have read who writes for adults, and I remember he also wrote a few Science Fiction novels. I think he might be someone you'd enjoy reading.
I will check them out, thank you!

You guys are unbelievable. You make me want to read even more books than I already do, although I hate myself for wanting those already. :craycray::computeraww::studying:

Waiting to be read....

Riding the Waves of Culture - Fons Trompenaars (love saying his name) and Charles Hampden-Turner

Reactions: infinite dreams
I just started The Glass Bead Game by Hermann Hesse.

"Set in the 23rd century, 'The Glass Bead Game' is the story of Joseph Knecht, who has been raised in Castalia, the remote place his society has provided for the intellectual elite to grow and flourish. Since childhood, Knecht has been consumed with mastering the Glass Bead Game, which requires a synthesis of aesthetics and scientific arts, such as mathematics, music, logic, and philosophy, which he achieves in adulthood, becoming a Magister Ludi (Master of the Game)."

Not only does it sound amazing, but I've a premonition that this book keeps in store a great encounter for me — of what kind (literary, philosophical or otherwise) I cannot say quite yet.

Not only does it sound amazing, but I've a premonition that this book keeps in store a great encounter for me — of what kind (literary, philosophical or otherwise) I cannot say quite yet.

A bit for both. That's a good'n there, imo.

A bit for both. That's a good'n there, imo.

So you've read it? Wow! :smile:

I meant to begin with one of his earlier books but that's the only one I found in the bookshop where I went and I figured it sounded appetizing enough.

Reactions: Wyote
So you've read it? Wow! :smile:

I meant to begin with one of his earlier books but that's the only one I found in the bookshop where I went and I figured it sounded appetizing enough.

It's been a while. I also read Siddhartha which was ok and some other stuff I'm forgetting. But I think you picked one of the better ones :)

Reactions: Ren