What Books Are You Currently Reading? (Part 2) | Page 4 | INFJ Forum

What Books Are You Currently Reading? (Part 2)

Storm King's Thunder

Reactions: jkxx and Wyote
I'm kind of in the middle of a bunch (I think I have reading attention deficit, lol): Call the Midwife series, Go Down Together-the Untold Story of Bonnie and Clyde, re-reading the Mayfair Witch series by Anne Rice, Harry Potter (always) are just a few, right off the top of my head.

Finished up NK Jemisin's Broken Earth trilogy last week, excellent stuff.

I felt the need to start on a new (to me) epic fantasy series, which I haven't done in several years, so I began David Eddings Belgariad saga a few days ago. Nothing unique in terms of plot or content but I'm really liking the style thus far.

A Dance With Dragons, by George R.R. Martin

:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Finished Wittgenstein's Philosophical Investigations a few days ago. As expected it felt like taking a triple expresso shot of insight and perspective.

It will be an influential book on my future work and I welcome that. For the next book I'm thinking of a novel, but can't decide between Hesse's Narcissus and Goldmund and a thriller :p

Currently reading The Night Bird by Brian Freeman. Absolutely love it. Keeps you on edge throughout the whole book and its quite unique.

I'm currently reading The Dhammapada translated by Eknath Easwaran.

Reactions: Ren and Wyote
I finished The Spirit Catches you And You Fall Down: A Hmong Child, Her American Doctors, and the Collision of Two Cultures by Anne Fadiman.

A book that has left me quite heartbroken, and very much happy that cultural competency within medicine is much more common now than it was before.

Reactions: Ren and Wyote
Reactions: Ren
Recently finished up Empires of EVE: A History of the Great Wars of EVE Online. As the title implies, this book chronicles the most notable happenings during the first 6 years after launch of the massively multiplayer sci-fi game EVE Online. The game is essentially an open sandbox where you can be anything from an asteroid miner to an interstellar conqueror leading thousands of other players. While I've never played this game, I've read stories over the years in gaming outlets (most notably PC Gamer) about the epic conflicts and betrayals, some involving grudges between players that lasted for years on end. So when I heard about this book, I had to pick it up.

Suffice to say, I was not disappointed. Besides being equal parts epic sci-fi, military strategy and online gaming history, the author also went to great lengths to examine the psychology of some of the most key players through both their online personas and (frequently) the real people behind them. Group dynamics, propaganda, morale, manipulation and deception - the full gamut. In short, it was brilliant, and a sequel is in the works.

Now reading Endurance: Shackleton's Incredible Voyage, which is the story of the ill-fated Trans-Antarctic Expedition of 1914. Basically a ship carrying 28 men gets trapped in the frozen Weddell Sea near Antarctica, hundreds of miles from civilization, and the head of the expedition has to figure out how to get them all back safely. Very well-written telling of a truly remarkable story of survival.

Last edited:
Currently reading: Radio Free Dixie: Robert F. Williams and the Roots of the Black Power.
I've been on a quest lately to explore the long civil rights movement more deeply. I'd recommend this book to anyone wanting to learn more about Robert Williams.. he's a lesser known civil rights figure, and I think that's because he wasn't assassinated and didn't die young like some of the others (Dr. King, Malcom X, etc). so he didn't reach martyr status and his story isn't as widely known.
Link:
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/448669.Radio_Free_Dixie

Reactions: Wyote and Ren
Currently I'm reading Mysticism and Logic and Other Essays by the always great British philosopher Bertrand Russell.

Dat title though. The best ever.

Currently I'm reading Mysticism and Logic and Other Essays by the always great British philosopher Bertrand Russell.

Dat title though. The best ever.
this is hot.

I've not moved on yet from Napoleon: A Life.

This is because I don't want to finish the book. I read the book to make time fly. It's well-written and very inspirational. It's good to see where your heroes make mistakes and not replicate them. He did whatever it took to preserve and spread the ideals of the French revolution. He didn't live to old age but considering all of his accomplishments, he did well. He is someone who lived life to the fullest.

Reactions: neko and Wyote
Just curious: what's the proportion of fiction to non-fiction that people tend to read?

In my case, there's a huge bias in favour of non-fiction (though I get my fix of fiction elsewhere I think).

Reactions: Wyote