What are you giving up for lent?

Phoenix Down

Permanent Fixture
Jun 18, 2010
MBTI
ENTP
Enneagram
3w?
I'm giving up high fructose corn syrup, and TVtropes.

I am giving up soda

I give up giving stuff up for lent. Oh wait, that was years ago. It was pretty easy. I just lived my life. :m172:

I'm giving up [MENTION=3284]Whiskey[/MENTION] 's "giving up lent" for lent.

I don't know!! I think I find it too easy to give things up, everything seems like a cop-out... I guess spending money on lunch is the biggest one! Mhmm that's it...

This noob wants to know what lent is.

It's a period in the Western Christian calender of forty days leading up to Jesus' ressurection on Easter Sunday. I think the forty days represent's Jesus's time of temptation in the desert, but also it's just really a time of repentence, penitence, fasting, alms-giving... trying to put yourself in Jesus' shoes I guess!

There are some things I give up just as daily reminders of the other, deeper things I am doing within during Lent. Usually, I try to also do something positive during this time. Lastly, there are things I might do just out of solidarity with all those over the world trying to deepen their spiritual lives during this period of reflection. Because ongoing conversion of life is ultimately about deeper connection, inner freedom, and personal liberty I look forward very much to these times and am glad they are woven into the calendar.

Reactions: jn56uytrx
I'm giving up air. I'll let you all know how that works out for me.

I'm giving up on wearing pants.

(Let's ignore the fact I don't wear pants anyway. So far 2011 has been 100% pants free! Note that I do not consider short-shorts to be pants.)

Reactions: Saru Inc
Organized religion.

That's what happens when Catholic parents put you into an Adventist school system.

1)Adventists: "Oh, Catholics always say that, but right here in the bible it says..."

2)Catholics: "Oh, Adventists always say that, but right here in the bible it says..."

3)Refer to step one

Thank you guys for confusing the hell out of me. Hullo tenets of Buddhism!

lol@lent

I think its a stupid tradition. which might sound weird coming from a born again Christian... Honestly, all this tradition bullcrap is what pisses me off about Christianity, I hope my place in heaven isn't in jeopardy :|

I've given up sex for as long as I can recall(Lent and otherwise). I gave up beer one year, other than on St. Patrick's Day. Lent.....never made much sense to me. Sundays don't count as part of it, and my family always waited until midnight Friday night/Sat. morning to eat whatever they couldn't have on Fridays. And fish is allowed? Hmmmm. Funny how many of the men back in J.C.'s time made a living fishing. That would seem to benefit them, wouldn't it?