The World Is Obsessed With Facebook. | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

The World Is Obsessed With Facebook.

I've dropped fb before and use it now very, very little. It's of little real use to me, but it seems to be helpful to some.

As far as excess goes, there is an old "sin" identified out there called the "Sin of Curiosity." It basically means letting our appetite for news, gossip, rumors, hearsay (or the like) consume too much of our time...time that should be focused on other things. We get distracted, consumed, in an unhealthy way. Perhaps this needs to be updated and brought back into usage once more.

I've dropped fb before and use it now very, very little. It's of little real use to me, but it seems to be helpful to some.

As far as excess goes, there is an old "sin" identified out there called the "Sin of Curiosity." It basically means letting our appetite for news, gossip, rumors, hearsay (or the like) consume too much of our time...time that should be focused on other things. We get distracted, consumed, in an unhealthy way. Perhaps this needs to be updated and brought back into usage once more.

Indeed! That rung very true to me.

I joined for reason of a friend's request to view pics of a working dog. I found it to be too invasive of my privacy and to share too much information regarding my past connections. I never go there.

Is this something people can get obsessed about? Surely. People are capable of obsessing over and being irresponsible with just about anything you can imagine. Are people too obsessed about facebook? Some are, and allow it to dictate their lives. Others allow it to recede into a normal place in their lives after an initial attraction.

I have heard some people claim that they use facebook for networking and finding job opportunities. Perhaps they do. But I've also heard people claim that facebook has affected their life in a negative manner; people who aren't on facebook but have been targeted by someone who is. This I have seen.

My biggest problem with facebook is that I fail to understand why people post some of the things they do, knowing these pictures and anecdotes are available to anyone. This is why I don't have an account myself. While I am curious, I don't see how it would be a real benefit to me personally. In my view, it seems far better to join a nice INFJ Forum :)

Reactions: Oranguh
I successfully abstained from facebook for two weeks, until I needed an address of a friend so I had to reactivate my account yesterday.

Now I'm back full blast on bookface.

As a student, I pretty much have to have a facebook (in fact, one of my professors requires it). It's the only way to keep up with school events and the like, or to hear about them in the first place. All events are promoted through facebook, and rarely in any other way, which I find sad.... Makes me think of how my senior year of high school, everyone decided to bring money to graduation and and drop it in a box as they walked across the stage. It was to raise money for the family of a student who had died from cancer. They spread the word via text message, but I didn't have a cell phone, so I didn't know about it. It was kind of embarrassing to be one of the few who didn't donate, and everyone was watching.

That's how people relay important information these days. They assume everyone, or at least everyone who matters, is in the loop. So information is spread solely through facebook, texting, etc. No one wants to take the time to contact you personally or even make an announcement, and they don't care if some people are left out if it saves them a bit of trouble. This is one side effect of the facebook craze that I hate.

This exactly.

As a student, I pretty much have to have a facebook (in fact, one of my professors requires it). It's the only way to keep up with school events and the like, or to hear about them in the first place. All events are promoted through facebook, and rarely in any other way, which I find sad.... Makes me think of how my senior year of high school, everyone decided to bring money to graduation and and drop it in a box as they walked across the stage. It was to raise money for the family of a student who had died from cancer. They spread the word via text message, but I didn't have a cell phone, so I didn't know about it. It was kind of embarrassing to be one of the few who didn't donate, and everyone was watching.

That's how people relay important information these days. They assume everyone, or at least everyone who matters, is in the loop. So information is spread solely through facebook, texting, etc. No one wants to take the time to contact you personally or even make an announcement, and they don't care if some people are left out if it saves them a bit of trouble. This is one side effect of the facebook craze that I hate.

Or you could do it like the way me and my gangstas roll by not being in the loop on purpose as to avoid mainstream influence. I'm so hip, I don't use facebook. Take THAT east coast/Londonian hipsters.

facebook is gayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Sometimes it is, and that's because of me. But the majority of the time when i'm surfing around on it, I look for useful things to read. You don't get that much on facebook do you?

For the most part no. Not like on the forum.

Humanity invents food.

X% of the population eats too much and becomes fat.

Y% of the population blames food.

Somehow food gets banned.

People die.

(oh gawd~ I detest myself for using such a lowly fallacy, but I thought it was funny so uuh.... This is not serious :p ! It's for funnyness only, 0.o)

But uuh, yea. Here, have a monkey.

:m183:

This kinda goes in line with the sin "Thou shall not worship a false god". In my opinion anything can qualify as a false god; curiosity, food, sex, a sport, a TV show, facebook, etc.. Anything in excess is unhealthy.

What is God?? to me God is creation or existence. If you let something consume you until it prevents you from enjoying your existence (God) then you are worshipping a false god.

Never joined it. Have a myspace account that I haven't been on in at least 3 years because I didn't see the point. If I want to talk about some event in my life, I talk about it.

The only thing I find sad is that I get tens of comments in statuses so trivial such as "I picked my nose today", than when I post something very deep and interesting for which I only get about 2 comments.

I mean, how shallow can you get?

On the other hand, I do see the positive potential that facebook can have in the world, and how it can keep friends and family together. However, for every good quality there must also be a bad one, and the addiction part of it, unfortunately belongs to the bad category.

My opinion on the issue of Facebook is that the people and the media aren't focusing on the real detrimental side of the social network. It's always about how the internet is making us addicted, taking the "humanity" out of the communication.

The fact Facebook is already a huge (and growing) stronghold that earns money on your personal infrmation you so recklessly submit and feed it daily is the problem. That's what Facebook thrives on, compromising your privacy. Yet you have people out there who have their entire lives posted on that site.

+1

I've held out from joining. I know it would be a massive waste of time for me, and I think that it increases social isolation in a way because if I post all of my relevant info on line, who will actually feel the need to talk to me beyond trading page comments? This may vary from person to person, but I value face-time very much and I want to stick to that. I'd rather have a small circle of friends who actually want to talk to me than a bunch of facebook friends who I only interact with via that website.

The only thing I find sad is that I get tens of comments in statuses so trivial such as "I picked my nose today", than when I post something very deep and interesting for which I only get about 2 comments.

I mean, how shallow can you get?

On the other hand, I do see the positive potential that facebook can have in the world, and how it can keep friends and family together. However, for every good quality there must also be a bad one, and the addiction part of it, unfortunately belongs to the bad category.
Aside from the obvious possibility of people might not know or not interested, there's just a chance that people are not willing to be looked as one in Facebook (read : as in, MORE PUBLIC THAN REAL LIFE ITSELF); hence the lack of comments.

Commenting on picking nose does sounds easier, after all. And people can just ignore ones they can't comprehend / can't give themselves to care about, instead of giving half-assed responses.

Aside from the obvious possibility of people might not know or not interested, there's just a chance that people are not willing to be looked as one in Facebook (read : as in, MORE PUBLIC THAN REAL LIFE ITSELF); hence the lack of comments.

Commenting on picking nose does sounds easier, after all. And people can just ignore ones they can't comprehend / can't give themselves to care about, instead of giving half-assed responses.

Fair enough.

It just rubs me in the wrong way, I guess.