That's What Racism Isn't | Page 7 | INFJ Forum

That's What Racism Isn't

Agreed. The 'racism' in America is actually 'culturalism' that is assumed defined by physical appearance. More often than not, 'racism' is alleviated once someone of a given race proves to be part of an affable culture as opposed to an antagonistic culture.

For instance, when white people prove themselves to be 'cool with' black people, most black people drop their 'racist' barriers. When black people prove that they don't 'act black', most white people instantly accept them into their social circles. These are clearly examples of 'culturalism' that bases its first litmus on 'race based appearance' because these cultures are frequently associated with their respective races.

Ironic, really, since there is no such thing as race, and both cultures are quick to accept members of other races into their cultures.

Lol. It's the very thing which makes us a "melting pot" that antagonizes us all. Being in America is both a blessing and a curse that way. You'd think that with so many cultures around here we'd find it easier to get along.

Nope! Nope, nope, nope.

I think the bigger issue (and the one with the most consequences to both parties) is: How can we accept those differences in one another and yet still enjoy one another's company? No one should have to "erase" who they are to be accepted by another culture, but on the other hand if your culture stops you from accepting and recognizing another culture, then that's an extreme form of nationalism that needs to stop. There's a balance but I don't think a lot of people know how to strike it. To obtain that balance, you also have to know just enough about the other cultures so you don't accidentally insult them.

Lol. It's the very thing which makes us a "melting pot" that antagonizes us all. Being in America is both a blessing and a curse that way. You'd think that with so many cultures around here we'd find it easier to get along.

Nope! Nope, nope, nope.

I think the bigger issue (and the one with the most consequences to both parties) is: How can we accept those differences in one another and yet still enjoy one another's company? No one should have to "erase" who they are to be accepted by another culture, but on the other hand if your culture stops you from accepting and recognizing another culture, then that's an extreme form of nationalism that needs to stop. There's a balance but I don't think a lot of people know how to strike it. To obtain that balance, you also have to know just enough about the other cultures so you don't accidentally insult them.

I think you're on to something here. This has always been the ideal upon which America was built. In the 1970s, there was even a phase where this was the case. People not only accepted each others' differences, they encouraged and supported them. However, this faded away as these groups became aggravated with each others' behaviors and expectations, they all decided to mutually stop admiring one another.

I think the current issue is that this mentality has allowed certain cultures to feel entitled to have expectations that are antagonistic to one another. Currently, 'black culture' and 'white culture' have antagonistic expectations and behaviors, and seem to have deepened these due to the resentment between them over the years, adapting their expectations to be less and less affable to the other culture.

Meanwhile, other cultures have expectations and behaviors that are inherently affable to one another. For example, Asians have been adapting to 'white culture' in America for years, and the influence of 'Asian culture' on 'white culture' becomes more and more visible as these two cultures spend more and more time in the melting pot.

From what I have seen, 'black culture' and 'white culture' have been melting together, just not as quickly or as seamlessly as other cultures have. Opposed expectations are a difficult thing to surmount, but we seem to making progress. Until both groups accept the fact that they have opposed expectations and accept each other for having them, the process is going to be slower than anyone wants it to be.

Your higher intellect can make decisions for you but so can your rat brain. You know the most primal part of your consciousnes that controls fear. While my higher intellect recognizes that humans essentially experience the same things and act similarly, My rat brain sometimes tells me to be nervous when I see a group of black men or what not.

I mean I've dated black men b4 so it doesn't affect me that much.

I am not proud of it, but then again I feel like most people have a rat brain bias against other races.

Its almost universal

It's frustrating too, Luce, because it doesn't make it right. Why not have the same fear around drunk White teens? They might be more likely to hurt you.

um, I AM uncomfortable around drunk white teens. That make you feel better? :m054:

I'm so used to seeing drunks it doesn't phase me. I mean, I work the night shift at the front desk of a college dorm, lol! That being said, I am most neverous around loud drunks, as they have the highest chance of getting violent.

It's frustrating too, Luce, because it doesn't make it right. Why not have the same fear around drunk White teens? They might be more likely to hurt you.

It doesn't make any sense racism never does.

Which is why I try to ignore the impulse when it comes up.

I watched to much cops as a child LOL

Last edited:
I mean it doesn't happen to me very often and its usually when I am in a all black neigbor hood

*digs self deeper into hole*

I feel like if your not honest about these things they'll never be resolved.

*Shovel and repeat*

Last edited:
They'll never be resolved anyway. Just bury them until you go on a race based genocidal killing spree.

Drunk/high guys make me nervous if they're pushy, because they tend to hit on me.

Jocks tend to make me more nervous, though, for some reason.

Drunk/high guys make me nervous if they're pushy, because they tend to hit on me.

Jocks tend to make me more nervous, though, for some reason.

Possibly because of the high amounts of reported (in media) gang rapes that jokes (oops, meant jocks), get themselves involved in?

Conclusion: We should be far more afraid of rowdy drunk White teens roaming in packs than we should be of wanna-be Black rappers/ballers.

Unless you're in compton. Because Snoop Dogg reliably informs me that "They Hard" in compton, and would probably reach for a "piece".

Really, a white guy in a white van is way more scary than a group of black people to me. Not gonna lie.

Possibly because of the high amounts of reported (in media) gang rapes that jokes (oops, meant jocks), get themselves involved in?

Nah, I just have absolutely no clue how to converse with them. And I feel like they judge me .__.

Eww the white van... totally creepy. :mcute:
I wasn't being "called on" by Sedna; I just really abhor the victim mentality. I think that kind of thinking does a lot as far as spreading hate and misunderstandings.

Really, a white guy in a white van is way more scary than a group of black people to me. Not gonna lie.

And they're sporting that nasty 'stache.:mlight:

They should just make this required reading. Then again, I guess the point of the story can get lost on small children

Last edited: