Suicide: is it ethical? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Suicide: is it ethical?

Has anyone here to is saying suicide is a personal choice had anyone in their lives that they cared about commit suicide? Like say a girlfriend whom came to you and confessed about her desires to end her life and then ultimately did? Because let me tell you from personal experience, loosing someone to suicide, especially when you know about the intentions, is an indescribable emotion and something the people left behind can and never will get over.

Suicide is selfish. Ego is selfish. Thinking your pain is enough to justify destroying other people is selfish. (I do think euthanasia for terminally ill patients is exceptable)

I underestand where you are coming from, but I disagree. I think it's selfish to expect someone to hang on to their miserable lives when they don't want to, when they have reached the point of desperation where they are actually ready to take their own lives, for the sake of your happiness. You don't own the people you love.

I can promise you I don't want to hang on to life any more than the next person, but after experiencing first hand what those left behind go through, I will never put my loved ones through that. No my loved ones don't "own" me but i sure as hell owe them something. My pain is not their fault. They love me enough to see through my numerous flaws, as terrible as those flaws may be. To take my life is a huge slap in the face, like saying "thanks for loving me but I love my self more than you ever can". If you don't know a soul in the world, then by all means kill yourself. But if even one person cares the least bit about you, suicide immediately becomes the must selfish act one can undertake. It's saying my pain is greater than the emotional trauma I will cause you (and you will never recover from).

I will never choose suicide (hope that I get hit by a bus, maybe), but maybe I'm too selfless.

Last edited:
I can promise you I don't want to hang on to life any more than the next person, but after experiencing first hand what those left behind go through, I will never put my loved ones through that. No my loved ones don't "own" me but i sure as hell owe them something. My pain is not their fault. They love me enough to see through my numerous flaws, as terrible as those flaws may be. To take my life is a huge slap in the face, like saying "thanks for loving me but I love my self more than you ever can". If you don't know a soul in the world, then by all means kill yourself. But if even one person cares the least bit about you, suicide immediately becomes the must selfish act one can undertake. It's saying my pain is greater than the emotional trauma I will cause you (and you will never recover from).

I will never choose suicide (hope that I get hit by a bus, maybe), but maybe I'm to selfless.

I don't advocate suicide either. I am just saying that the victim is not the one to be blamed. Nobody wants to commit suicide, people are driven to it. Moralising their decision and calling them selfish is not productive at all. It also suggests that you don't love them for who they are but for how they make you feel. I am sorry if that seems harsh, but I can't think of a better way to put it.

You don't own the people you love.
I agree. But...

Suicide is selfish not because one does not think of the people who love them, but exactly because he considers his life to be miserable. We judge our lives based on our small world and our immediate enviromment. A man from Myanmar would beg to live my life, yet I would toss that all away because I consider it to be miserable. That's pretty selfish.

When one sees the big picture, and actually understands what's going on around the world, then he wouldn't commit suicide, because he would understand that it is pointless. The real reason behind suicides is that people actually believe that they are the center of the universe, stars playing in some kind of movie. When something bad (according to them) happens, they say "how could this happen to me","why do I suffer, I have done nothing wrong" etc etc. So they choose to kill themselves "to show to the world that they had enough", or because " they coudln't take it any longer". Of course they could. So, yes, I can't say that I must stop someone about to commit suicide, neither that suicide is unethical, since it is their choice, but I can consider that person weak and selfish (and sometimes stupid).

Last edited:
I don't advocate suicide either. I am just saying that the victim is not the one to be blamed. Nobody wants to commit suicide, people are driven to it. Moralising their decision and calling them selfish is not productive at all. It also suggests that you don't love them for who they are but for how they make you feel. I am sorry if that seems harsh, but I can't think of a better way to put it.

I still love my girlfriend and always will. Never once in my mind have I put the blame on her for her death, it has always been my fault in my mind. I can't help but think day in and day out about what I was doing or could have done that was causing her such great pain. I will never have the answers but I will live my life always questioning.

From an outsider perspective, the one who commits suicide is the selfish one. The ones left behind love the person no matter what. That's why they grieve. I don't grieve for my loss, I grieve because she was in such pain and I did nothing about it.

Suicide is selfish. Moral or ethical? Who knows...

Last edited:
We don't ask to come into this world... Stuff just happens, Why can't we at least leave when we want to?

We can only think of what is going to happen to the people around us when we are gone.. when we are alive... When we are dead... I'm sure the thought won't crosse the mind. To end the life is to end everything that is.
"I Think there for I am" If that quote is understod to the fullest... then one can see to end the life of self is to end the game of life. (all that is)

"Everything that is,is meaningless. Accept this way of life, and your life will be what you make of it."

suicide is logical... in the eyes of the holder

The question... I ask my self a lot is... "What if this is all i have.. one life..." I'm not ready for my Life to go away just yet.

Last edited:
Suicide is selfish. Ego is selfish. Thinking your pain is enough to justify destroying other people is selfish.
So is thinking your potential pain is enough to justify prolongment of others' pain.

People who commit suicide are destroying themselves. The effects on others are unknown quantities.

I'm not sure it's our place to judge. I would feel bad if anyone did it though; they must have been scared, and thought that it was the only option they had left.

So is thinking your potential pain is enough to justify prolongment of others' pain.

People who commit suicide are destroying themselves. The effects on others are unknown quantities.

Thinking of others first, not other people thinking of their own pain. I think about the pain I'd cause to other people; it's not them thinking of their own pain. Suicide is not victimless. You might not exist but other have to live with your choices.

Thinking of others first, not other people thinking of their own pain. I think about the pain I'd cause to other people; it's not them thinking of their own pain. Suicide is not victimless. You might not exist but other have to live with your choices.
Do we live only to keep others happy?

suicide: is it unethical?

Suicide is the most selfish act there is as it revolves only around self: pain the suicide thinks he/she cannot bear, whether physical or psychological; the suicide's right to do as he pleases with his/her own body. As thoughts of suicide move from the theoretical to the impulse to commit the act, it is like a hammer coming down in the night and the consideration of anything or anyone else is excluded in a strange kind of tunnel vision. The suicide is at that point more alone than at any other time in hs/her life; how can he/she be otherwise?

Any act that selfish is unethical, at least in my book, no matter how much I may understand, even empathize with the decision to end one's life. Both my parents committed suicide within four months of each other. In each case I understood the decision. I have made several attempts, all in my 20s before I was diagnosed with and treated for bipolar disorder; all before I became a mother. Those attempts--the consequences of which were miserable in every case--were clearly the result of a chemical imbalance, but I don't believe that made them any less selfish or unethical, helpless as I was to control my impulses at the time.

Suicide is the most selfish act there is as it revolves only around self: pain the suicide thinks he/she cannot bear, whether physical or psychological; the suicide's right to do as he pleases with his/her own body. As thoughts of suicide move from the theoretical to the impulse to commit the act, it is like a hammer coming down in the night and the consideration of anything or anyone else is excluded in a strange kind of tunnel vision. The suicide is at that point more alone than at any other time in hs/her life; how can he/she be otherwise?

Any act that selfish is unethical, at least in my book, no matter how much I may understand, even empathize with the decision to end one's life. Both my parents committed suicide within four months of each other. In each case I understood the decision. I have made several attempts, all in my 20s before I was diagnosed with and treated for bipolar disorder; all before I became a mother. Those attempts--the consequences of which were miserable in every case--were clearly the result of a chemical imbalance, but I don't believe that made them any less selfish or unethical, helpless as I was to control my impulses at the time.

Did either of your parents display symptoms of being bipolar?

Not really a zing. It's the most retarded statement put forward by these people.

I've argued elsewhere in this forum why people who argue my point cannot be the first to go, look it up. Otherwise you're both just arguing retarded points of view. By believing the retarded points of view in the face of knowledge, you're retarded yourself.
Aw come on. I was joking around and while I can't speak for CSD, I'm sure she was as well...
Take'er easy!
Anyways, a barrage of insults (containing one epithet) usually proves that one was indeed, zzzzung.

Aw come on. I was joking around and while I can't speak for CSD, I'm sure she was as well...
Take'er easy!
Anyways, a barrage of insults (containing one epithet) usually proves that one was indeed, zzzzung.

I was definitely also joking around. I'm surprised Shai Gar can dish it out, but can't take being teased back.

Selfish acts are acts for the self above anyone else.

We cannot love others unless we love ourselves, we cannot provide for others needs unless we provide for ourselves, we cannot point out the log in someones eye when we have a speck in our own.

It's extremely important to be selfish, otherwise we can't be good.

I was definitely also joking around. I'm surprised Shai Gar can dish it out, but can't take being teased back.

I can take it back, but that's one of my core beliefs.

And what was said is one of the stupidest statements said in response to my statement or belief.

I'm starting a debate thread on it so that I can find and link to it every time someone makes that statement without fully thinking it out first.

Except for the fact that they're basically telling me that I should die, because of my beliefs.

I was not saying this at all! I was just joking with you!

I'm sorry that I somehow started internet drama.