Suicide: is it ethical? | Page 4 | INFJ Forum

Suicide: is it ethical?

Has anyone here to is saying suicide is a personal choice had anyone in their lives that they cared about commit suicide? Like say a girlfriend whom came to you and confessed about her desires to end her life and then ultimately did? Because let me tell you from personal experience, loosing someone to suicide, especially when you know about the intentions, is an indescribable emotion and something the people left behind can and never will get over.

Suicide is selfish. Ego is selfish. Thinking your pain is enough to justify destroying other people is selfish. (I do think euthanasia for terminally ill patients is exceptable)

I respect that you where hurt by this.

But Suicide is not selfish. We only truly own our bodies and we should be able to end our life it that is what we feel we need.

Being in pain and wanting it to stop is not selfish. I hate when people phrase suicide as the victim simply trying to cause disarray.

If you have never thought about it been close to it I don't think people's opinion hold as much weight.

And blaming the person for taking themsevls aways is missing the point and problem.

We inherently want to aviod pain and have some control of our life and if we can't do that we may seek to have some control by ending it.

So yes I won't say that suicide is unethical or the person committing it be blamed for hurting others around them.

I underestand where you are coming from, but I disagree. I think it's selfish to expect someone to hang on to their miserable lives when they don't want to, when they have reached the point of desperation where they are actually ready to take their own lives, for the sake of your happiness. You don't own the people you love.

Very good point and I agree.

So is thinking your potential pain is enough to justify prolongment of others' pain.

People who commit suicide are destroying themselves. The effects on others are unknown quantities.

agreed

Neither is more justified

I respect that you where hurt by this.

But Suicide is not selfish. We only truly own our bodies and we should be able to end our life it that is what we feel we need.

Being in pain and wanting it to stop is not selfish. I hate when people phrase suicide as the victim simply trying to cause disarray.

If you have never thought about it been close to it I don't think people's opinion hold as much weight.

And blaming the person for taking themsevls aways is missing the point and problem.

We inherently want to aviod pain and have some control of our life and if we can't do that we may seek to have some control by ending it.

So yes I won't say that suicide is unethical or the person committing it be blamed for hurting others around them.

Very good point and I agree.

agreed

Neither is more justified

I have never blamed her for her suicide, in my mind it has always singly been my fault. Nor am I blaming her for my pain.

The fact of the matter remains that suicide DOES affect those around you and in ways you can't imagine until you have both been the person thinking about suicide and the victim of someone elses suicide.

Like I said, suicide is not victimless.

I have never blamed her for her suicide, in my mind it has always singly been my fault. Nor am I blaming her for my pain.

The fact of the matter remains that suicide DOES affect those around you and in ways you can't imagine until you have both been the person thinking about suicide and the victim of someone elses suicide.

Like I said, suicide is not victimless.

I can relate I've been fair deeper in depression that I would like to remember.

I've dealt with enough drama in my life just from my disability to know.

I've never said it dosen't effect others. But that is not the main issue with suicide.

Its only a side effect.

Main issues was someone is is so much pain they can't deal with their life anymore.

keyword being their

Has anyone here to is saying suicide is a personal choice had anyone in their lives that they cared about commit suicide?
Yes, an ex girlfriend ended her life.

It's why I don't give a shit about people who commit suicide.

Yes, an ex girlfriend ended her life.

It's why I don't give a shit about people who commit suicide.

We're in the same boat, but I still care and maybe that's my problem. That I and many other people will always care.

I can relate I've been fair deeper in depression that I would like to remember.

I've dealt with enough drama in my life just from my disability to know.

I've never said it dosen't effect others. But that is not the main issue with suicide.

Its only a side effect.

Main issues was someone is is so much pain they can't deal with their life anymore.

keyword being their

their thus proving their selfishness. My problems are greater than those I will cause the world around me. My girlfriends suicide lead to members of her families suicide. A side effect, yes. Would it have occurred without her suicide? almost certainly not.

Life for most people is selfish. It is selfish of the living to focus on the sins of the dead in the end the living makes themselves pay for something that had nothing to do with them in the first place. We all think we are so important that some how we could have stopped them. It's not up to you it never was. It does not concern you any more. After reading the last few pages I want to kill myself just to prove my point! :faint: :m073:

Ethics is the study of morality. Morality is relative. Therefore, I cannot say that suicide absolutely ethical or absolutely unethical. I think that because we can never be absolutely certain that suicide is a good decision we should not commit suicide, but sometimes people don't have the luxury of absolutistic thinking. I don't condemn people who commit suicide; I have spent years considering it, but I don't accept that they commit suicide either.

I don't think that I would commit suicide even if I did get something horrible like Alzheimer's. I cannot accept suicide, morality be dammed.

Does ethics not sway for each person?:m075:

If so then the questions answer is to each there own.

Last edited:
Does ethics not sway for each person?:m075:

If so then the questions answer is to each there own.

I definitely believe so! Plus, our feelings about it are influenced by a myriad of factors including religion, belief in afterlife, our past experiences, etc.

Yes suicide is selfish, but one wanting them to live for them... is that not more selfish?

There is no such thing as a selflessness act.

Yes suicide is selfish, but one wanting them to live for them... is that not more selfish?

There is no such thing as a selflessness act.

It goes beyond that. The ones left behind don't want the person to live for the people the left behind, it's completely opposite of that. I'm sure I'm not alone in wishing that she was alive and I never had any contact with her again than her to be dead. I wish she had the chance to work through her problems rather than being consumed by them.

Is suicide ethical or moral? I don't know.
Is suicide selfish? Yes
As much as I hate the act, do I have a right to stop others? No

Of course we all have the option of suicide but does that make it right and who is to judge what is right or wrong for other people? Suicide does not have to be the answer and it's saddening to think that people see it as.

Last edited:
Of course we all have the option of suicide but does that make it right and who is to judge what is right or wrong for other people?

No offence, but you do seem to be 'judging' your girlfriend's suicide as wrong for her.

This may be the only option she saw. And, yes that is very sad. But, is it really wrong?

I believe it was wrong, but ultimately it was her choice.

I judge, it's impossible not to judge. Anyone who says they don't judge is a liar. I just try not to impose my judgments to change people's actions

Life for most people is selfish. It is selfish of the living to focus on the sins of the dead in the end the living makes themselves pay for something that had nothing to do with them in the first place. We all think we are so important that some how we could have stopped them. It's not up to you it never was. It does not concern you any more. After reading the last few pages I want to kill myself just to prove my point! :faint: :m073:
How very Dostoyevsky's Kirilov of you..

I believe it was wrong, but ultimately it was her choice.

I judge, it's impossible not to judge. Anyone who says they don't judge is a liar. I just try not to impose my judgments to change people's actions

Wrong

And again I will say wanting her keep living is just as selfish.

People make the person who did it out to be bad because its easier to deal with.

Wrong

And again I will say wanting her keep living is just as selfish.

People make the person who did it out to be bad because its easier to deal with.

I never said it wasn't selfish, but suicide in her case is was not the only option but it was the easy way out. And since when was my arguement that people who commit suicide are bad people?