Soulmates | Page 4 | INFJ Forum

Soulmates

I believe in fate. I believe a soul is scattered throughout time and space and we find the pieces that make us whole again in the people we come across that impact our lives in immeasurable ways, either for good or bad. I don't believe in a single soul mate but in a soul family and these people can certainly be of a romantic relationship, but mostly just relationships in general like friendship.

No, I don't believe in soulmates or lifelong monogamy for most people. Romanticism is a plague that afflicts Western Civilization.
Get married around 28, then divorce 10-20 years later, then meet your real partner.

Reactions: Lurk, Ren and Pin
If I were to attempt to answer the question I would say...

Yes? But more a mating of souls, a combination of two into one, a forfeiture of individuality, & perhaps there are only some people that we are willing to do that for, & perhaps, also, we can find those people through a mere alignment of the eyes. That moment which is often described, seeing someone from across the crowded room, perhaps that is simply romanticism, but perhaps there is also some truth to that, or perhaps this love that burns in the soul is built, or can be found anew in something old, a person you used to know, or wished you had.
Perhaps it is found differently for each, in a conversation, or through a series of conversations, maybe both sides are too shy, or initially indifferent to one another, or any of many different circumstances, and maybe this love can be found in many individuals, out of the billion that live, but still a very small percentage of the whole, like 0.01%, or something close to that.

But to me, a 'soulmate', the ideal of love, is something which both people commit to being/creating, it's a kind of love that both choose to participate in.
What makes this love rare is the minuscule amount of people willing to make the sacrifices in order to search for, discover, hold onto, build up, & sustain such a relationship , also the circumstances surrounding, the concerns of the individual, & many other things, but I think this love exists/can be found/created.

Reactions: Gaze
I do not much take to the idea of soulmates not because I think nobody is perfect for you but because I resist the idea that there is this restricted notion of who you can understand/be understood by.

I tend to think there are lots of philosophies out there, and that we can hopefully grasp them if we think hard enough. What's more important seems to be that people have the kindness and empathy to understand each other than that they have this oh-so special property that makes it possible for them to be a part of your world.

It's not that I'm disenchanted enough to be cynical about soulmates so much as I think it almost goes against my own idealism of a more general kindness vs this view that only a few people can be part of our worlds.

I do not much take to the idea of soulmates not because I think nobody is perfect for you but because I resist the idea that there is this restricted notion of who you can understand/be understood by.

I tend to think there are lots of philosophies out there, and that we can hopefully grasp them if we think hard enough. What's more important seems to be that people have the kindness and empathy to understand each other than that they have this oh-so special property that makes it possible for them to be a part of your world.

It's not that I'm disenchanted enough to be cynical about soulmates so much as I think it almost goes against my own idealism of a more general kindness vs this view that only a few people can be part of our worlds.

Beautifully said.

Reactions: Wyote and charlatan
I guess part of my thing is if someone actually wants to be a part of my world and care for me to the highest degree sincerely, I think it's really sad and the opposite of tender idealism to say "nope, sorry, impossible!!" Rather, I would like to do whatever is necessary to foster the requisite understanding of me to give them the fairest chance.

periodictoblerone said:
, my math professor gave us great analogy about [1/inf]

So they didn't just say getting |1/x - 0| < E for arbitarily small E>0 fixed is a matter of making 1 < |x|E, which is achieved for x>1/E? :p

(kidding of course; I hate lack of intuitive motivation more than most)

Last edited:
Reactions: Wyote
When you think about it, soulmate is a really interesting word that says it all about soulmating.

On the one hand you have "soul", the spiritual, ineffable connection; and on the other, "mate" - the sexual connection.

So in one sense, a soulmate is somebody with whom spiritual and sexual connection are blended. I do think these people are rare, but they aren't unique (in my opinion).

On the one hand you have "soul", the spiritual, ineffable connection; and on the other, "mate" - the sexual connection.

Except that mate doesn't necessarily mean anything sexual, hence we can form lots of compound words with it. The word probably comes from Middle Saxon word mate, mat, meaning a companion, although there's also speculation that it could be related to Old Norse matr meaning food -> meat. A companion is someone with whom you share meat. When I think of mates, my first thought is that of a friend and not a sexual partner because in the sexual sense I would rather use it to describe the behaviour of animals, and if used to describe humans the effect is rather humorous.

So I'd say a soulmate is your soul's companion, whether or not there is sexual interest.

Except that mate doesn't necessarily mean anything sexual, hence we can form lots of compound words with it. The word probably comes from Middle Saxon word mate, mat, meaning a companion, although there's also speculation that it could be related to Old Norse matr meaning food -> meat. A companion is someone with whom you share meat. When I think of mates, my first thought is that of a friend and not a sexual partner because in the sexual sense I would rather use it to describe the behaviour of animals, and if used to describe humans the effect is rather humorous.

So I'd say a soulmate is your soul's companion, whether or not there is sexual interest.

Yea I was being tongue-in-cheek! Although if "mate" can also mean "food".... carnivore and carnal are related words... ;)

Yea I was being tongue-in-cheek! Although if "mate" can also mean "food".... carnivore and carnal are related words... ;)
And carnival, from the Latin word meaning flesh, originally "a festival of flesh" before fasting for Lent. I also like how the word "cordial" has the heart in it, and of course courage as well (Latin cor, French coeur. Also --> Italian caro, dear, important, expensive). I'd like to think it's also in the words corruption and coronation, but unfortunately that's not the true origin.

It would be quite funny though to interpret all these -mate compounds as sexual partners. A schoolmate is someone with whom you had sex at school, a shipmate is someone with whom you have sex on the ship. Thinking of boarding schools and the (possible) sexual tension between Ishmael and Queequeg in Moby Dick.

Here I go again, accidentally talking about word origins :sadlyguilty:

Reactions: Wyote and Ren
It would be quite funny though to interpret all these -mate compounds as sexual partners. A schoolmate is someone with whom you had sex at school, a shipmate is someone with whom you have sex on the ship.

What about a checkmate? Is that somebody you have sex with specifically during games of chess? :p

As for prison in-mates, I won’t go there....

What about a checkmate? Is that somebody you have sex with specifically during games of chess? :p
If a Batman story I read 25 years ago is to be trusted, the mate in chess comes from the Persian word meaning death, also -> Spanish matador. Or then Arabic.

So a mate can also be the thing that kills you. That's something to think about.. a soulmate... is the person who's going to devour your soul, it'll be the end of you. You will no longer be a single entity, two souls die and are born again as one when they finally meet each other. Whether that's really sinister or romantic depends on your viewpoint, I guess.

Reactions: Ren and Wyote