Sense of humour | INFJ Forum

Sense of humour

easy_rider

Community Member
Jun 3, 2009
MBTI
INFJ
I started getting good at quick funny comments and stuff in year 6 or 7 and everyone liked it, then I went to highschool and I just stopped and now I can only do it a bit with some friends sometimes. But it just won't come out around some people, why? Also what kind of sense of humour have you got?

I have a dry sense of humor. I am very quick with a response with most people. If I think I can bounce off of your vibe I will. Some people I'm not sure if they will appreciate my sense of humor. It also depends on my mood, I sometimes don't want other people to experience my awesomeness! :)

I'm pretty good at puns and I guess I'm quite good at funny comments and obscure references.
I love subtle humour, silly humour, occasionally slapstick if it's unexpected. I hate toilet/sex humour, it's dull >>

my humour is lame, dry , gets the typical "wtf?" look. It is also sometimes very random. Strangely though, people seem to laugh :m197:

I prefer wordplay over physical humor. The more subtle the turn of phrase, the better.

But my sense of humor is also a bit morbid too.

I prefer wordplay over physical humor. The more subtle the turn of phrase, the better.

But my sense of humor is also a bit morbid too.

which way would you like your phrase to be turned ma'dam? to the left or the right?:m131:

using humor

I'm interested in how you use humor in conversation.

I tend to think that having a sense of humor can make a good first impression. Say you're at a hypothetical cocktail party (not for business): how do you mix up your humorous remarks among other remarks when mingling? Is it a 50/50 mix? 70/30 (humor 30)? How do you balance being viewed as too serious with being viewed as a clown? I'm asking because I feel like I typically have trouble at cocktail party situations, and I'm curious if anyone has any tips or guidelines that they use in that situation.

Also, I feel like the people above me sound like they have pretty "sophisticated" senses of humor, but I also tend to think that a really good laugh is hard to come by. Sophistication usually requires some kind of computation that, in many cases, I believe, takes longer than you have to crack the joke. How many times do you think of the "perfect" line 2 hours after the conversation? I also like wordplay, puns, arcane references, but I find that I dip into the standard "pool" of well known, oft repeated laugh lines just to get a smile from the person I'm talking with. I would like to make a brilliant pun in every conversation I have, but if I made a point of it, I would just sit with my mouth shut most of the time.

I'm interested in how you use humor in conversation.

I tend to think that having a sense of humor can make a good first impression. Say you're at a hypothetical cocktail party (not for business): how do you mix up your humorous remarks among other remarks when mingling? Is it a 50/50 mix? 70/30 (humor 30)? How do you balance being viewed as too serious with being viewed as a clown? I'm asking because I feel like I typically have trouble at cocktail party situations, and I'm curious if anyone has any tips or guidelines that they use in that situation.

You can teach a man how to fish, how to do a calculus problem, and how to saddle a horse... but you can't teach him comedy.

There's no way to quantify good comedic timing. I think the problem is that you're over thinking it. And you've already screwed yourself over trying to make an impression. Confidence is the key to everything in any social situation. If you're at ease, your mind is more flexible, and you can make the clever associations and parallels that make a funny. But if your mind is busy going a mile a minute trying to calculate all these ratios, and thinking of all the ways you could dazzle people with your charm, you're going to miss the opportunity to put in a real zinger.

Also, I feel like the people above me sound like they have pretty "sophisticated" senses of humor, but I also tend to think that a really good laugh is hard to come by. Sophistication usually requires some kind of computation that, in many cases, I believe, takes longer than you have to crack the joke. How many times do you think of the "perfect" line 2 hours after the conversation? I also like wordplay, puns, arcane references, but I find that I dip into the standard "pool" of well known, oft repeated laugh lines just to get a smile from the person I'm talking with. I would like to make a brilliant pun in every conversation I have, but if I made a point of it, I would just sit with my mouth shut most of the time.

Yikes. Yeah, just what I thought. Those standards of yours are way too high-- no wonder you might find it overwhelming. A laugh is hard to come by? Sophistication takes computation? You often think of the perfect line 2 hours after the conversation? No, not always. I know plenty of people who live in the moment, continuously demonstrate their fantastic wit and have people chuckling often. You're just overthinking, and again, putting all these unnecessary pressures on yourself.

Loosen up. Don't give yourself so many requirements. I bet you'd feel and behave differently if you just walked into a cocktail party with the intention of you having a fun for the sake of it, instead of thinking of all the ways you could entertain others.

And who knows, you might be at ease enough to pick up on, and deliver that brilliant pun after all.

Last edited:
Sometimes it is disturbing.
Sometimes it is blunt.
Sometimes it is dry and intellegent.

Dunno, it really depends.

Sometimes I don't even have a sense of humor.
It's actually impossible to make me laugh unless I'm nervous or tired.

I have a slighty morbid sense of humor. I inherited my dad's ability to come up with lame puns and other wordly silliness.

I'd say that because of my ADD in conversation - I'll come up with a joke (that i think is funny) but it's not funny because it's either 5 minutes too late OR I'm connecting the current conversation to something else and no one can see the connection but me.

My ENFP little sister says the most insightful hilarious things - but if you're not paying attention, you can totally miss her dry, brilliant wit.

I've been told I have an 'evil' sense of humor, probably because I'm really morbid with my humor. I can do perverted humor if I wanted to (it's high school, so it usually works...), but that kind of humor is too easy. Other than the morbid/perverted stuff, most of my humor is just retelling of things I've done/had happen to me in real life.

Speaking of type...

INTPs tend to be the most intentionally funny. And INTJs are funny just on default because of the complicated measures they go through to do something, and whilst they aren't trying to be funny...man it's a riot to me.

I'm not sure how to describe my sense of humour - quite random???? I usually make fun of myself or do something silly/weird to make people laugh.
I should have gone to clown school...I'm an undiscovered talent (if you can call being an idiot a talent :p)

Speaking of type...

INTPs tend to be the most intentionally funny. And INTJs are funny just on default because of the complicated measures they go through to do something, and whilst they aren't trying to be funny...man it's a riot to me.

Slowly backs out of thread...

I've been described as cheeky quite often and when I'm relaxed I am often quite adept at word play and stuff. I like politically incorrect humour a lot too and I can also be random in saying stuff that although isn't funny itself is construed as being so due to timing and tone of voice.

My wife always describes me as a sarcastic smart ass.
I have always been a huge fan of Groucho Marx for that reason.

Can cut to the bone with a single comment. I got it from my Father, and sometimes need to be careful of what I say to whom, and where I say it.

But, I also love humor of in the style of Monty Python, etc.

Normally, my humor revolves around sarcasm, but there is also part of me that laughs at the simplest things that no one else finds funny.

My humour is generally sarcastic, satirical and a bit cynical when I have one but if I'm not in the mood I generally find myself laughing hollowly at others' jokes just so they don't get put off by my lack of interest.
But yeah when I'm in the mood I generally like forcing people into ridiculous, nonsensical debates.

My sense of humor is...sarcastic. Dark. Questionable.

Most people don't "get" my sense of humor, which is OK. I can't explain what tickles me--but when I'm tickled, at least it makes sense to me at the time.