Reason to live! | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Reason to live!

a reason to live?

Once upon a time i was a girl with nothing to live for...after losing my fiance to death so sudden. I thought of dying...leaving it all behind so many times...but so many people close to me leave through death I couldn't fathom dying in such a way...

I breathed, I slept...I was...but just a shell. after a time I was desperate to bring any feelings back into my life...anything. I found it it sex, drinking, and adrenaline. I was stupid, foolish, angry...Life held nothing for me but the thrill of bull shit...And the thought in the back of my mind...if I die accidentally...well then at least I didnt kill myself.

Here I am over a decade later...and you know what saved me from that empty shell of an existence...The accidental conception of a child...She saved me, and her father. Now we live for her, and each other. from there my life broadened...i see myself so much clearer. I know who I am, and where I am going, and what I want out of life.

It's just one more thing I've discovered that gives my life meaning.

Ahah, so limited comprehension and seeking to apply meaning. That is, unless comprehension is limited to the point of meaning not being comprehend-able, perhaps classified as a limited consciousness?

By the inability to comprehend meaning, I classify those which show no signs of applying or at least transferring the notion of applying deep meaning, such as those with extremely limited IQ's (retardation)

Ahah, so limited comprehension and seeking to apply meaning. That is, unless comprehension is limited to the point of meaning not being comprehend-able, perhaps classified as a limited consciousness?

By the inability to comprehend meaning, I classify those which show no signs of applying or at least transferring the notion of applying deep meaning, such as those with extremely limited IQ's (retardation)

Actually, the OP addresses one of the important questions in philosophy. It appears to be a question for which no definitive answer exists, at least not one that is universally accepted. But, exploring one's MBTI type is a step toward comprehending one's self both intrinsically and in relation to the outside world.

By the way, how does one know full comprehension? You might think you completely understand something but you may be missing a deeper meaning that eludes you. For example, Newtonian physics was the truth until Einstein came along. Thus, we may never know the full meaning of life and the reason to live even though we may delude ourselves into thinking otherwise. Maybe that's where intuition and faith come in.

I spent one terrible night in the hospital, and I've come to the conclusion that there is no meaning or purpose for life, at least not one that's set in stone. The meaning of life is for us to give meaning to meaningless things. We chose what is important and what isn't. We give life meaning.

I spent a night, that felt like an eternity, thinking I was dead (I should have died) and it gave me a lot of time to think. I want to live. I want to see the world, and I want to change things for people who don't have all the opportunities/experiences I've had. My reason to live is to help other people find their own reasons.

Actually, the OP addresses one of the important questions in philosophy. It appears to be a question for which no definitive answer exists, at least not one that is universally accepted. But, exploring one's MBTI type is a step toward comprehending one's self both intrinsically and in relation to the outside world.

By the way, how does one know full comprehension? You might think you completely understand something but you may be missing a deeper meaning that eludes you. For example, Newtonian physics was the truth until Einstein came along. Thus, we may never know the full meaning of life and the reason to live even though we may delude ourselves into thinking otherwise. Maybe that's where intuition and faith come in.

I can add to that example. You may think you understand a very esoteric movie like "2001 a space Odyssey", grasping all of its narrative and even having read the book to make sure, BUT you did not notice the underlying narratives thrown in there by the director Stanley Kubrick. Its not because you are less intelligent, you just had no reason to look. You had no idea that Kubrick is a nutter who giggles to himself and he slips in extra layers of underlying plot. (I love the guy btw, may he R.I.P.)

Should you feel bad for missing it? Are you a fool for not seeing it? Maybe "your mileage may vary" and things some director threw into the story mean nothing to you because the book is what you consider the "truth". Who can say?

aside: haha, firefox spell check even knows his name.

If anyone is suddenly intrigued by the above, here's a link to a review of the "underneath" plot in the movie. http://www.collativelearning.com/2001 analysis new.html

But often I wonder if they just want to enjoy life as long as it last and then it's over

Yes, this is precisely what I want.

And it has nothing to do with being unaware of other options. This is the option I prefer.

I want to enjoy my life, help people when I am able, and die. And I find this idea to be the exact opposite of depressing.

Spoken like a true skeptic! I am in the same boat. I think understanding ourselves will at least help, no guarantees that is the case, though.

Anyone's meaning of life seems to be a cogent argument at best in terms of both for themselves and for others. Of course, I could be wrong.

Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor Frankl

I have that book. hahaha

EDIT: Laughing because I've had it forever but haven't read it. Not because of the Holocaust. What kind of sick bastard do you think I am??

Last edited:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wp_K8prLfso&NR=1"]YouTube- I'm here to chew bubblegum...[/ame]

I live everyday reminding myself that today might be my last. What drives me to go on and not give up - a basic curiosity about individual persons and what future humanity will forge for itself, my on-going metaphysical dialog with the cosmos, the dreams I have about other people that keep on coming true, and the dreams I have for myself of one day becoming a mother. I have faith that I ultimately belong to someone - whether that might be the man of my dreams or perhaps God, if "he" exists. Also, "doing" for me is the same as "being", and I feel like there are so many options to try. Life is one big candy store for me.

I also read Frankl's work. It helped me realize the importance of finding your own meaning for living. Another book that helped me is Dr. Paul Brand's "Gift of Pain". Sometimes pain and difficulties make people want to give up, but to inaccurately quote MacGyver: "For as long as you're still alive, there is hope." There are a number of holocaust survivors who went on to rebuild their lives, re-marry, have children again, and enter into a more prolific phase in their careers. Life doesn't have to stop at your pain, you can transcend a moment's hardship and strive to live life more abundantly. As they say, what doesn't kill you will make you stronger - and I've witnessed that for myself.

I have also witnessed that religion can help individuals live transcendent and meaningful lives. I'm in-between religions myself, at this point, but I'd like to find one eventually if only to help me develop a more reliable inner compass.

Reactions: Sloe Djinn
I have often been wondering what different kind of peoples motivations are to live life. When observing my surroundings I can often wonder why people do this and do that. And from my perspective it can often seem like they have no other purpose than to follow their everyday life cycle and that they don't ever stop and think about what life is about. Or maybe I think like this because I don't see the bigger picture around those people. But often I wonder if they just want to enjoy life as long as it last and then it's over or if they actually do have a deeper meaning in their lifes.

I come from a christian upbringing, believing what I have been taught and many of my viewpoints has deep connections to my faith. This way I think there is a purpose with life and can go on with my life trying to follow that path.

So I wonder what you think about this. Do you ever think like this and do you think life has a purpose? If it wasn't for my christian faith, I would think life was meaningless and I wouldn't know what to do. But many don't have that and they still seem to have some sort of purpose, but I dont quite understand them.

Enlighten me please :)

If we don't have any targets or purpose in our life, then we are going to meet something like disaster. Life will become meaningless. Totally boring and sleepy. If we can't understand what is our purpose in our life, then we should try to know it. Start studying, observing & thinking about things. Focus on what we're thinking, set up aim in life and when time comes you'll come to know what is your purpose in your life.

Don't ever think what people are thinking about you, just carry on your work, keep moving ahead, correct your mistake and try to move towards perfection who is god. :) You will find peace and love and many more in your life.

My reason to live has a lot to do with my views on spirituality. I believe that we were created to learn the lessons that The Creator wants us to learn- what is "good". Other than that I have a great deal of curiosity and a desire to understand. I also have a desire to help others and to make the world a much better place. I also feel as though I have an obligation to make proficient use of my understanding to all those that contributed to my life- both directly and indirectly

i hate to sound like a romcom, but my purpose is this:

Love.

i hate to sound like a romcom, but my purpose is this:

Love.

How could I forget that one :). And your not a " romcom"- though I do not really know what it means-, there is nothing wrong love being a major facet to your purpose

I have been on something of a spiritual adventure myself for many decades, one I still only understand in part. I, too, live within a Christian tradition and this has given me a rich framework in which to explore something that, frankly, is included in the framework but at the same time is so much larger....it is also above, beside, around, below, and within it!!! Anyway, I could go on with the paradoxes and ironies of all this but that would we an enormous task. Suffice it to say that it is this journey, and I suppose a sense of both curiosity and welcome, that propel me onward...quite possibly beyond this life itself.

Of course, as I ponder I also have had two careers and raised four kids...yet this quest is something else, something deeply personal, something inside me. Were I a poet I might have a better handle on the whole thing, but I'm not, so you have to settle with my obscure meanderings. :)

Last edited:
Simply enough, because I've only got one life to live and I'm thankfully in a position where I'm relatively free to choose what I'd like to do with it. There's gonna be plenty of time to be dead later.

Also, I live to try new foods. OMNOMNOM!

Simply Put.....

Life is a garden.....dig it!

_iceUrlFlag=1

life is meaningless, but still wonderful.

My motivation to live?

"To laugh often and much; To win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; To earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; To appreciate beauty, to find the best in others; To leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch, or a redeemed social condition; To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded."