Racism: have we made any progress from the 60's? | Page 4 | INFJ Forum

Racism: have we made any progress from the 60's?

We've managed to implement a drug policy that is more effective by an order of magnitude at institutionalized racism than Jim Crow laws ever could have dreamed to be.

Hardly much of an improvement.

Impoverished people go to jail disproportionately, and minorities are disproportionately impoverished.

!!!

Heh, it seems that MLK day does nothing other than stir up hatred each year.

Same happened on the forums last year.

What a wonderful legacy for MLK.

Heh, it seems that MLK day does nothing other than stir up hatred each year.

Same happened on the forums last year.

What a wonderful legacy for MLK.
I really don't see any hateful things in this thread. I see vastly opposing views and discussion. I hardly find that anything for MLK to be ashamed of having as part of his legacy. At least people are talking about it.

They're certainly not celebrating what the man actually achieved.
And?

There's no denying the great things he achieved, but why not discuss the things that some people think still need to happen? That's hardly an insult to MLK, but rather continuing with what he started.

I highly doubt that he'd want a day dedicated to him, but rather a day where people start working on current problems (even if we don't agree on what these problems are). In all honesty, I think he'd find a day completely dedicated to him, with no discussion of current situations, off-putting.

He didn't do what he did for fame; he did what he did for social justice, which still needs work.

Reactions: Ria
It's important to talk about it - talking about racism isn't like evoking the name of Betelgeuse and we shouldn't be afraid to discuss the issues. It's foolish to say racism is dead, and it's foolish to say it's not continuing. Stormfront is a prime example of such nonsense and Stormfront, sadly, is a very popular, quickly growing website...and it's not just folks joining who join for the lulz.

Guys, it's as simple as this: There's a reason why there's miscommunication. The heart of this is, you have two sides and the only way to close the gap is to recognize that both sides are speaking truth. Saying racism will go away anytime soon is a fallacy; saying that it's on every street corner is also a fallacy. But reality can change depending on what part of ground zero you're on, and each side needs to respect that the sum total of experiences regarding this issue cannot be in one area of the country. Every place is different and every experience is different and it's nice to actually respect that by agreeing that we don't have all the answers. If you've been there, it makes sense. It's not rehashing it to see why it happened and it's not rehashing it to try and make strides to help people see different points of view that they might not see.

We're living in a different era than MLK, and the racism is far more subtle. It's not in your face anymore - few people are that stupid - but it's there. We don't have to expect it around every corner and we shouldn't, but by denying its existence at all you *are* missing what MLK stood for.

Last edited:
...he did what he did for social justice, which still needs work.

And that's the problem we're having here. It is very clear to me that everything he set out to achieve, he has. We should be celebrating that.

Instead we're still bickering over this outdated concept called race, trying to keep people mentally segregated, and not moving on to the next big issue - which is classism. We're still fighting a battle that has already been won.

Move on, and fight the real enemy.

Instead of getting on with life in peace and harmony with each other, people are focusing on their differences and attacking others over their different points of view.

If only you two bastards would create a level 30 4E character (18, 17, 16, 16, 12, 10 as base stats) and come play DnD with me over Tinychat with that enthusiasm.

DevilDoll
Von Hase
Arbygil
Alcyone
Minority Funk
Anica
Duty...

I am GM.

No matter what there is always going to be racism, there is nothing you can do about it no matter how much we explain morals, human beings have always had the need to feel superior to another human being and many actually take pleasure in seeing the other in suffering, there is always going to be that individual who still has such mentality and to change it is impossible as you can't get inside that persons mind, it is something that has developed across generations and not matter what there are going to be those who still hold such views.

Last edited:
And that's the problem we're having here. It is very clear to me that everything he set out to achieve, he has. We should be celebrating that.

Instead we're still bickering over this outdated concept called race, trying to keep people mentally segregated, and not moving on to the next big issue - which is classism. We're still fighting a battle that has already been won.

Move on, and fight the real enemy.
Classism and racism go hand in hand. Neither is an all encompassing term for the people involved, but both still exist.

I would hardly call this a battle that has already been won, and this thread wasn't about MLK.

I feel the best way to celebrate what he's done, is by continuing the discussion about what still needs to be done (with racism in particular).

What ever though. It's obvious we won't agree, and the more we argue, the more people we'll 'make sick'.

Reactions: VH
Instead of getting on with life in peace and harmony with each other, people are focusing on their differences and attacking others over their different points of view.

If only you two bastards would create a level 30 4E character (18, 17, 16, 16, 12, 10 as base stats) and come play DnD with me over Tinychat with that enthusiasm.

DevilDoll
Von Hase
Arbygil
Alcyone
Minority Funk
Anica
Duty...

I am GM.

DevilDoll and I will quickly team up with Arby, and the three of us will school everyone else, then split the loot. There is no point to play this out.

DevilDoll and I will quickly team up with Arby, and the three of us will school everyone else, then split the loot. There is no point to play this out.

An Archon strikes you with Temporal Fusion. You're displaced in time.

Classism and racism go hand in hand. Neither is an all encompassing term for the people involved, but both still exist.

I would hardly call this a battle that has already been won, and this thread wasn't about MLK.

I feel the best way to celebrate what he's done, is by continuing the discussion about what still needs to be done (with racism in particular).

What ever though. It's obvious we won't agree, and the more we argue, the more people we'll 'make sick'.

Fair enough. I just think that the solution to the rest of the 'racism' problems is to ignore it and consider anyone who clings to that crap an idiot. The fires are down to embers, and fanning them will only rekindle, as we keep seeing. Just let them fade out and the nation will move on.

Banishing the Archon of Structure meant that a lot of Temporal Holes have opened up... You've been displaced in time.