Racism: have we made any progress from the 60's? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Racism: have we made any progress from the 60's?

Black people and other ethnicities can be racist too you know

Well, I've only had people pick on me for my nationality, not my race.

Never had a hispanic person or black person come up to me and call me a wigger.

Actually, I have been called a wigger but I'm pretty sure the person wasn't serious.

It's hard for me to encounter racism, especially from blacks, since there is only one guy in the state of utah whom is actually black. 90% or so of the population here is white, and one time I saw a black guy from egypt and I was like amazed because...I'd only seen black people in movies! I thought they were a long lost legend or myth.

From the 60-70s onward, do you think that we have made a lot of progress on the issue of racism? Also, do you think racism is an issue now? Why?
as long as there are people who will judge based on the color of skin, gender, sexual orientation, ancestry, ect. There will be biggots...really i think that is the issue...bigotry.

As long as man believes he is better than another man...there will be bigotry.

I like what ria shared...and I agree We are all pink inside, we all have the same parts...(aside from man and woman) The black mans heart beats just as assuredly as the white mans...The brown mans heart beats as swiftly as the black mans...I cannot fathom that these things are a reason to hate.

I would hardly say that racism isn't important any more. It's not blatant and obvious like it used to be, but society is still functioning in a way that treats the white, christian, heterosexual, able-bodied, middle-aged, educated man as the top of the societal ladder. If you are missing out on any of those, you face adversity in some way shape or form. Racism is just one of the social injustices that is still common place.

Not where I live. Not even close. If you're living in a place that has this problem, you're probably living in a place that is very dominantly white. Or are you simply referring to the fact that rich people are still predominantly white? If that's the issue, you might want to consider that most white people are not rich, and the people who were rich before racism took a serious blow across our society are still rich. This has nothing to do with race and everything to do with education, breeding, and connections. The rich and powerful have been in place since far before race was even a consideration, and their wealth has nothing to do with the issue of race. The rich stay rich because they don't let go of their power easily. They didn't give it out to the white people who served them, and they won't be giving it out to the multi-cultural people who serve them. It's not about race. It's about greed, which could care less what color anyone is.

From the 60-70s onward, do you think that we have made a lot of progress on the issue of racism?

Absolutely.

It's hard for me to encounter racism, especially from blacks, since there is only one guy in the state of utah whom is actually black. 90% or so of the population here is white, and one time I saw a black guy from egypt and I was like amazed because...I'd only seen black people in movies! I thought they were a long lost legend or myth.

Come to Memphis. We're 20% White.

Last edited:
From the 60-70s onward, do you think that we have made a lot of progress on the issue of racism? Also, do you think racism is an issue now? Why?

progress has been made yes, but there is still some evident scars of racism in society. Even though all the discrimination might not be as bad as it was before, I still feel the subject is rather delicate. I feel people still feel uncomfortable talking to a member of a certain way, and they often sound awkward or need to be very careful about the use of certain words to not offend the other person. There is still resentment by many groups and there is also still a lot of pride among the races. There are areas which have specifically pure black or white areas and if you dare to step a foot your asking for trouble, I seen this in certain areas of Miami where there is a wide variety of races.There are plenty of guetto areas that if a white person where to step a foot he will get robbed/shot, there's also certain area shere that if a black person where to step a food he will get greatly discriminated and looked at badly, more recently there has been a lot of issues within hispanics and blacks here, in which many blacks have intentionally hurt multiple hispanic teenagers, mainly due to the fact that they might be illegal, I think the reason some of this still happens is resentment, some african americans might still carry the scars from what happened during previous times and take it on other ethnicities, of course this only goes to show that racism is not only a white person discriminating against another race.

Last edited:
Well, I've only had people pick on me for my nationality, not my race.

Never had a hispanic person or black person come up to me and call me a wigger.

Actually, I have been called a wigger but I'm pretty sure the person wasn't serious.

I giggled...sorry. Here in SLC there are quite a few...

progress has been made yes, but there is still some evident scars of racism in society. Even though all the discrimination might not be as bad as it was before, I still feel the subject is rather delicate. I feel people still feel uncomfortable talking to a member of a certain way, and they often sound awkward or need to be very careful about the use of certain words to not offend the other person. There is still resnement by many groups and there is also still a lot of pride among the races. There is areas which have specifically pure black or white areas and if you dar eto step a foot your asking for trouble, I seen this in certain areas of Miami where there is a wide variety of races.There is plenty of guetto areas that if a white person where to step a foot he will get robbed/shot, there's also certain area shere that if a black person where to step a food he will get greatly discriminated nad looked at badly, mre recnetly there has been a lot of issues within hispanics and blacks here, in which many blacks have intentionally hurt multiple hispanic teenagers, mainly due to the fact that they might be illegal, I think the reason some of this still happens is resentment, some african americans might still carry the scars from what happened during previous times and take it on other ethnicities, of course this only goes to show that racism is not only a white person discriminating against another race.

Insightful, and I agree 100%

From the 60-70s onward, do you think that we have made a lot of progress on the issue of racism?

Yes, but ...

Also, do you think racism is an issue now? Why?

I think that when a person is raised in a society that casually suggests that whatever they are is inferior, that person gets a burden they did not ask for or deserve but that is a reality they have to deal with anyway. And some people are able to fight against it and others aren't. It's like a game where some people start out with 50 negative points to undo. And I'm not only talking about race here ... there are things like beauty standards, height, gender, physical impairment ... but race is one of these factors.

I giggled...sorry. Here in SLC there are quite a few...

I heard that it's rumored that there in fact 12 black people there. I'm amazed by those numbers! It's progress from the 60's when we had 3 of them!

Speaking of which there are only like 3 black people who show up in movies, except for that one tv show where everyone is black...they made a big deal about it a couple of months ago in the news....

anyway, the lack of black people disturbs me. Do I have to move to god damned africa to see some black people? Even there, there's a lot of white people. Because I had a teacher from africa and she was white and she spoke with a african accent and that was totally freaky. African accents only sound good from people with darker skin- and yes, that was a a racist comment. Sorry white people.

We've managed to implement a drug policy that is more effective by an order of magnitude at institutionalized racism than Jim Crow laws ever could have dreamed to be.

Hardly much of an improvement.

Impoverished people go to jail disproportionately, and minorities are disproportionately impoverished.

I heard that it's rumored that there in fact 12 black people there. I'm amazed by those numbers! It's progress from the 60's when we had 3 of them!

Speaking of which there are only like 3 black people who show up in movies, except for that one tv show where everyone is black...they made a big deal about it a couple of months ago in the news....

anyway, the lack of black people disturbs me. Do I have to move to god damned africa to see some black people? Even there, there's a lot of white people. Because I had a teacher from africa and she was white and she spoke with a african accent and that was totally freaky. African accents only sound good from people with darker skin- and yes, that was a a racist comment. Sorry white people.
LOL...I swear they exist I have met them! :mlove2:

progress has been made yes, but there is still some evident scars of racism in society. Even though all the discrimination might not be as bad as it was before, I still feel the subject is rather delicate. I feel people still feel uncomfortable talking to a member of a certain way, and they often sound awkward or need to be very careful about the use of certain words to not offend the other person. There is still resentment by many groups and there is also still a lot of pride among the races. There are areas which have specifically pure black or white areas and if you dare to step a foot your asking for trouble, I seen this in certain areas of Miami where there is a wide variety of races.There are plenty of guetto areas that if a white person where to step a foot he will get robbed/shot, there's also certain area shere that if a black person where to step a food he will get greatly discriminated and looked at badly, more recently there has been a lot of issues within hispanics and blacks here, in which many blacks have intentionally hurt multiple hispanic teenagers, mainly due to the fact that they might be illegal, I think the reason some of this still happens is resentment, some african americans might still carry the scars from what happened during previous times and take it on other ethnicities, of course this only goes to show that racism is not only a white person discriminating against another race.

My dad's from Miami (Liberty city area) and he's saddened that the area has changed so much. According to him, that area used to be a place of diversity, now the area he resided in is a ghetto that is 'affluent' with gangbangers(and cubans, apparently). I've noted that black and chicano/spanish/latino people have been having issues for a while because of gangs. Somehow, the media gets a hold of this and inflames it to the point that they make it seem like the two "races" of people have issues with each other when it's only gangbangers fighting over territory in most cases.

Not where I live. Not even close. If you're living in a place that has this problem, you're probably living in a place that is very dominantly white. Or are you simply referring to the fact that rich people are still predominantly white? If that's the issue, you might want to consider that most white people are not rich, and the people who were rich before racism took a serious blow across our society are still rich. This has nothing to do with race and everything to do with education, breeding, and connections. The rich and powerful have been in place since far before race was even a consideration, and their wealth has nothing to do with the issue of race. The rich stay rich because they don't let go of their power easily. They didn't give it out to the white people who served them, and they won't be giving it out to the multi-cultural people who serve them. It's not about race. It's about greed, which could care less what color anyone is.
My community is ethnically diverse, and I'm commenting on the nation as a whole. To be white is to be powerful. The systems are set in a way that favor white men. That's not to say all white men are powerful; that's ridiculous. However, if you look at poverty rates (as in percentage of a certain ethnicity), education rates, and incarceration rates you find that blacks (specifically, but I'd wager that most other minorities face similar rates) have higher poverty and incarceration rates, and lower education rates.

Whites held the power in the 60's, and they hold the power today. During the civil rights era, blacks had to push whites to give them equality. The whites had to give equality to blacks (and other minorities) because whites held the power (as in money, education, political/social systems). Today's power struggles are different, but still very much real.

One example would be affirmative action. It's supposedly in place to give minorities equal access to opportunities that they wouldn't otherwise have (opportunities that those in power; whites, have more access to).

You talk about education, which is another facet of racism/social injustice. Blacks (specifically) have less access to quality education than whites. That's not to say that there isn't a great deal of whites in poverty. Poverty doesn't discriminate. Power though, does.

Income gaps lead to less access to quality education for minorities. A lesser education leads to a lower income, and then the cycle repeats.

Granted, people can and do escape from it, but the poverty, income rates, and education rates point to something. There is a pronounced difference in the rates between blacks and whites.

I would say the system is set in a way that favors the white man. Therefor racism is still an important issue.

Isn't the main difference between the 60's and now is that racist is publically shunned? Even if people are racist, generally, people know it's wrong and society typically looks down on people. I wouldn't say there are any less racists, I'd just say they are now forced to hide in secrecy...

look at stormfront, for example.

We've managed to implement a drug policy that is more effective by an order of magnitude at institutionalized racism than Jim Crow laws ever could have dreamed to be.

Hardly much of an improvement.

Impoverished people go to jail disproportionately, and minorities are disproportionately impoverished.
This too^^^

Isn't the main difference between the 60's and now is that racist is publically shunned? Even if people are racist, generally, people know it's wrong and society typically looks down on people. I wouldn't say there are any less racists, I'd just say they are now forced to hide in secrecy...

look at stormfront, for example.

Formation reaction ftw?

I don't think it solved much.

Racism is still a problem, it's just not talked about.

I once listened to this really interesting speech from a guy who wrote a book about racism and such. He said that the problem about racism, and why so many people are oblivious to it is because people aren't willing to talk about race with their children. They're against it because they think somehow that talking about different skin tones will mean that they are racist. The author explained that kids will naturally segregate themselves from different colors of skin; black kids with black kids, white with white. It's just something that naturally happens without any prompting. He said that in order to prevent this he talk to his son who happened to be white, and discussed different races and about how it is important not to segregate them and to include everyone, regardless of race.

His son paid attention to this and was on a soccer team with a bunch of hispanics. He researched hispanic soccer teams and such and then went up to the boys and discussed them with the boys, who were shocked that a white boy knew all of this. They welcomed him and he's made friends.

Some people would say that kind of behavior is racist. But, there are differences in the interests of race because of the different cultures, and I saw nothing wrong with it.

The book suggested overcoming racism was being aware that there is a difference in races but that it doesn't mean they shouldn't be treated any differently.

If we're allowed to say women and men are equal and such, why can't we discuss race in the same way without being accused of racism?

I don't think it solved much.

Racism is still a problem, it's just not talked about.

I once listened to this really interesting speech from a guy who wrote a book about racism and such. He said that the problem about racism, and why so many people are oblivious to it is because people aren't willing to talk about race with their children. They're against it because they think somehow that talking about different skin tones will mean that they are racist. The author explained that kids will naturally segregate themselves from different colors of skin; black kids with black kids, white with white. It's just something that naturally happens without any prompting. He said that in order to prevent this he talk to his son who happened to be white, and discussed different races and about how it is important not to segregate them and to include everyone, regardless of race.

His son paid attention to this and was on a soccer team with a bunch of hispanics. He researched hispanic soccer teams and such and then went up to the boys and discussed them with the boys, who were shocked that a white boy knew all of this. They welcomed him and he's made friends.

Some people would say that kind of behavior is racist. But, there are differences in the interests of race because of the different cultures, and I saw nothing wrong with it.

The book suggested overcoming racism was being aware that there is a difference in races but that it doesn't mean they shouldn't be treated any differently.

If we're allowed to say women and men are equal and such, why can't we discuss race in the same way without being accused of racism?
I wouldn't call that racist at all. I think a problem with a lot of people and racism is that they want to pretend everyone is the same. Ethnic groups are different. They have different histories/cultures, and it's stupid that we try to paint everyone with the same brush.

I think you're right, we need to be aware of our differences, and then learn to appreciate those differences. We are all equals, but we're also all very different.

I wouldn't call that racist at all. I think a problem with a lot of people and racism is that they want to pretend everyone is the same. Ethnic groups are different. They have different histories/cultures, and it's stupid that we try to paint everyone with the same brush.

I think you're right, we need to be aware of our differences, and then learn to appreciate those differences. We are all equals, but we're also all very different.

I find it really annoying when anyone makes an assumption (usually wrong) about what my differences might be because of my race. Like the people who casually slip something about hip-hop, which I know almost nothing about, into the conversation in an attempt to relate. It's awkward and it makes me wonder if they're looking at me as a stereotype.

But I'm impressed whenever a non-black person knows anything about black haircare. hahaha I think it's the difference between knowing what is actually a racial feature and what isn't.

Do races segregate themselves or is it cultures (That can have racial baises) that segregate themselves?

Sorry if this thread seems...unorganized and more of an utter brain storm.

Do races segregate themselves or is it cultures (That can have racial baises) that segregate themselves?

Sorry if this thread seems...unorganized and more of an utter brain storm.

I'm not sure, it was an american study but I would take the leap that segregation is a natural occurrence everywhere. It's not -forced- or -violent, racist- segregation. It's more like, the black people just hang with the blacks and the whites with the whites, asians with asians. I've seen this happen at my school and in a numerous of office settings. I think people tend to flcok towards people they think is similar to them, like women flocking to women and men to men. It's not that it always happens it's just common. Safety net, you know?