Racism: have we made any progress from the 60's? | Page 5 | INFJ Forum

Racism: have we made any progress from the 60's?

You guys should check out the works of Hank Willis Thomas.

He draws parallels between the use of blacks in advertising and the slave trade.

It seems that there has been a newer form of racism growing where there is a sort of skewed idealization of the culture. The attitudes expressed towards black culture have almost been flipped around. Like we were very very relived and very proud to finally say (in America) that we have equal protection under the law and foolhardily glorified the minority culture, though this is also a good thing, since it helps find common ground between cultures. But it is stupid to accept that "hipness" of black culture and call that total acceptance. Also, I'd be willing to bet that the common white businessman on his or her way to work draws connections between black and poor as they toss money in the beggar's cup. This leads to, at the very least, subconsciously drawn parallels, saying "I have helped a black man, therefore I am not racist", instead of saying I have helped a human being. (I don't want to argue the impact of giving money to beggars.) I'd like to know what the common black businessman thinks as he throws money into the white beggar's cup or any combination. You are lying if you have never processed the implications of and encounter with a different "race". Everyone wants to feel like they are doing good, and everyone wants to feel the fire that burns in the heart of the underdog. :m083:

*And then proceeds to self analyze the implications of the previous statements and how they all tie in within himself.*

Last edited:
Heh, it seems that MLK day does nothing other than stir up hatred each year.

Same happened on the forums last year.

What a wonderful legacy for MLK.

I see. So pretending the world is perfect for one day should be operative. I'll keep that in mind next time.

My point exactly.

They're certainly not celebrating what the man actually achieved.

Are you to assume everyone participating in the thread that has a differing opinion has not celebrated his achievements? I didn't personally feel the need to make a thread saying "I'm glad MLK did this, this, and this; how about you"

No matter what there is always going to be racism, there is nothing you can do about it no matter how much we explain morals, human beings have always had the need to feel superior to another human being and many actually take pleasure in seeing the other in suffering, there is always going to be that individual who still has such mentality and to change it is impossible as you can't get inside that persons mind, it is something that has developed across generations and not matter what there are going to be those who still hold such views.

Interesting, I never heard it put that way. Most people state that we needed the differences for survival reasons.

And racism is a catch 22 in a sense, ignoring it allows it to go on, looking at it and trying to fix it is inherently racist in itself

OOC: I sprung my knee and had to get some pain relievers, if my post seems exceptionally odd; it's because of that.

I see. So pretending the world is perfect for one day should be operative. I'll keep that in mind next time.
I suggest ignoring racism, and treating each other equally. Prejudices do occur, but until something happens to require you to act negatively towards a person, treat them equally.

I don't see a need for Racism or Civil Rights Movements. You're all workers in the economy, and one day, you'll all be my workers, advancing or being demoted as per your abilities.

I suggest ignoring racism, and treating each other equally Pr.ejudices do occur, but until something happens to require you to act negatively towards a person, treat them equally.

I don't see a need for Racism or Civil Rights Movements. You're all workers in the economy, and one day, you'll all be my workers, advancing or being demoted as per your abilities.

Unless I'm mistaken, no one suggested a Civil Rights movement. And ignoring racism? If I feel that there is racism, I will leave that situation.

There's individuals being racist and there's also systemic racism. Both are widespread and vary. So it makes sense that people are going to have different experiences of racism, and perspectives on how prevalent it is and how much of an issue it is.

We've - US and other nationalities - made strides in the last 50 years, that is for certain. However, from what I see and hear around me daily, race is still a social determinant and these issues do exist. They may be less visible than signs on store fronts, but I believe they are just as real for some people. I also believe it will get better; but in my view, we're not there yet.

I can't speak for things in America, but on a general basis I would say that a key element in the degree of racism is perception. That is, how sensitive people are. If you let the small things go over your head you diffuse any potential situation.

For example, a newcomer to a society will often be met with a mixtue of curiosity and apprehension, the latter of which can often be taken as hostile by the newcomer. It's important to note that the newcomer is often more susceptible to being offended than usual because of their position; they sometimes have cultural inferiority complexes that lead them to be far more reactive than those in a group of people with no cultural differences. Same in reverse, the 'indigenous' populace might feel that newcomers are superior to them culturally or economically and therefore be more susceptible to act harsher and with less empathy.

What i'm trying to say is that a big element of what is now coined as 'racism', is an inability to accept a natural sense of self preservation from indigenous people. Basically, if people are comfotable with themselves and don't have a chip on their shoulder, a LOT of what they might have seen as racism towards them would simply evaporate, and thus they'de be freer to concentrate on opposing the genuine, focused racism that we saw in the Australian race riots, and blatant acts of purposeful degradation like in the southern US in the 50's and 60's.

What might make todays racism seem 'worse' is that it's become a hyper-sensitive subject, especially in Europe, and I believe it's a big mistake to promote obsessive political correctness since all it does is make too many people ultra receptive to the slightest notion of 'origin'.

Most people are not 'racist', they're naturally protectionist on a subconscious level. This applies to practically all cultures and should be accepted.

Some people are extraordinarily sensitive about their racial origin, to the point where it almost provokes mockery. It's almost the exact opposite of how blacks generally were extraordinarily tolerant of overt racism pre-1960's. (due to lack of ability to act)

Reactions: Sithious
I can't speak for things in America, but on a general basis I would say that a key element in the degree of racism is perception. That is, how sensitive people are. If you let the small things go over your head you diffuse any potential situation.

For example, a newcomer to a society will often be met with a mixtue of curiosity and apprehension, the latter of which can often be taken as hostile by the newcomer. It's important to note that the newcomer is often more susceptible to being offended than usual because of their position; they sometimes have cultural inferiority complexes that lead them to be far more reactive than those in a group of people with no cultural differences. Same in reverse, the 'indigenous' populace might feel that newcomers are superior to them culturally or economically and therefore be more susceptible to act harsher and with less empathy.

What i'm trying to say is that a big element of what is now coined as 'racism', is an inability to accept a natural sense of self preservation from indigenous people. Basically, if people are comfotable with themselves and don't have a chip on their shoulder, a LOT of what they might have seen as racism towards them would simply evaporate, and thus they'de be freer to concentrate on opposing the genuine, focused racism that we saw in the Australian race riots, and blatant acts of purposeful degradation like in the southern US in the 50's and 60's.

What might make todays racism seem 'worse' is that it's become a hyper-sensitive subject, especially in Europe, and I believe it's a big mistake to promote obsessive political correctness since all it does is make too many people ultra receptive to the slightest notion of 'origin'.

Most people are not 'racist', they're naturally protectionist on a subconscious level. This applies to practically all cultures and should be accepted.

Some people are extraordinarily sensitive about their racial origin, to the point where it almost provokes mockery. It's almost the exact opposite of how blacks generally were extraordinarily tolerant of overt racism pre-1960's. (due to lack of ability to act)

Thank you. This is what I mean.

I think it has gotten better over the years.

People just need to spend more time talking to one another then they will figure out that the other person is actually OK.

Nowadays we have more chance doing that than ever.

THE solution my friend is to ban all American holidays from the forums.

That would spare me a lot of grief, actually. God Damned Christmas, valentine's day...please help me with an assisted suicide as I lay dying thinking about them.

What is the definition of racism?

And I'm serious because I see people describing bigotry, prejudice and atrocities of that nature, but racism? .....

I will bow out of this discussion now and just read. Race is a volatile issue for me and I'll leave it at that.

Racism still exists but the progression is definitely there, racism stems from ignorance and lack of communication/information excels ignorance.

Since the boom of the internet, communication and information has multiplied many times over and it is pushing boundaries everyday.

With some many people talking to one another through forums, video chat, etc and just exchanging ideas and thoughts in general, understanding between people will continue to flourish.

Last edited:
I would say yes...a little. I consider racism as fear of the unknown.
We're getting there, but racism is still everywhere, in every country, against many races (including whites), so I think it'll be a while until the world gets to where it needs to be.

Morgan Freeman put it nicely when he commented on racism,
"Stop talking about it. I'm going to stop calling you a white man. And I'm going to ask you to stop calling me a black man."

The more people relive the crimes of racism, the more people will continue to live in a racist world. If you're thinking about racism, you're going to find it.

For the record, I'm Native Canadian.

Last edited:
we've just switched from being racist against negros to being racist against asians. But they're not such a minority so it's more visible in underlying attitudes than outrageous actions.

we've just switched from being racist against negros to being racist against asians. But they're not such a minority so it's more visible in underlying attitudes than outrageous actions.

*Note: "Negro" is a less accepted term in the United States - we actually use a different term.*

But I hear what you're saying. Each nation has its own group it discriminates against, and each nation will have to deal with those issues. No country has no discrimination, which is kind of interesting. No one wants to be thought of as the "lesser man" in society, and to guarantee that they make sure someone is always lower than them (whether overtly or covertly).

I liked Dragon's previous link. The link mentions something called "Sundown towns" where covert (and overt) discrimination took place over the years. Sadly, Sundown towns still exist and they exist all over the country.

In fact, near where I live there's a town called "White Settlement"(!). Just two years ago the city government put up a bill asking its citizens if they wanted to change the name of their town. The bill was overwhelmingly shut down.

Yes, I know it's the city's name. But how intimidating is that for others? "White" was not the last name of the founder...

Well in my country here (Indonesia), the way I see it; racism works both ways. >_>;

The majority do have some prejudice and discrimination against the minorities. I can't say much but from direct experiences, people of Chinese-Indonesian ancestry tend to suffer some discrimination.

But, those very same people hold the very same view against the so-called-and-translated "indigenous / local" people. Even by the word themselves, 'local', they're somewhat separating themselves with the "us-them" mentality. So I see a lot of "nyeh, they're locals, it's understandable they're going to act stupid/barbaric/rude/whatever" sentiments along my relatives and my acquintances. It's kinda "stupid/idiot unless proven otherwise."

And let's not talk about Indonesia's very diverse ethnicities and how the Chinese-Indonesian merge them all into one, huge, EVULZ, antagonists.
*headdesks*

Just to branch out on Arbygil's point about racist terms, I find the evolution of the terminology intriguing. I mean, in the UK at any rate, coloured was the correct term and was used by blacks themselves up until a couple of decades ago. Black was seen as offensive. Nowadays black is the proper term because coloured implies that they were ogininally a blank white canvas and have been subsequently dyed a colour that deviates from the norm.

I assume black is the predominant politically correct term in the States now too, as elsewhere.

When I lived in Des Moines, a larger city, I only experienced racism from the complete idiots, people that just seemed to have an absurd view of the world.

I deal with racism nearly every day where I live now. It is blatantly obvious and I was amazed by these seemingly rational people blurting out these statements that are so idiotic.

Saying that, I have most certainly been a victim of racism to people with differing skin colors. I have been told that I cannot dance, or I cannot sing, or I am restricted from saying a certain word, etc simply due to my skin color.

In my opinion, associating any sort of generalized meaning or exceptions to skin color is racist.

I think we have made advancements in legal terms, society is always slow to catch up, if they do at all.

I never liked the term African-American, at least not for those who arn't within one or two generations from Africa, I prefer just plain old American. Also why don't we call white men and women Eurpoean-Americans. I could agree with Native-American though as there are many of that title whom live seperate lives here different from the America we know.

just hyphenations in General, we are one people of many places.