New York Legalizes Same-Sex Marriage!! | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

New York Legalizes Same-Sex Marriage!!

They hadn't already? You'd think they'd have been one of the first... God, this is taking a long time.

I'm glad it's been done for like a decade in Canada. Not that I'll be taking advantage of it anytime soon, but hey, I bet there will STILL be states where it's illegal by the time I do.

I think it's silly that it has taken this long. I'm not even someone who wants to get married, but I think this is a necessary step in breaking down the social stigmas. It's also a big "fuck you" to all those who oppose it.

New York has been my home my entire life, and I can't imagine living anywhere else. Now I love New York more than ever.

Congratulations =)

I think New York took the longest precisely because it's New York. Like, the epitome of what's modern and 'in' in America, And one of the pillars of world development?

\o/

What part of it was illegal before the passing of the bill? If a priest voluntarily performed a ceremony pronouncing two persons of the same sex as married inside a church the owners of which willingly allowed the process, would this really be something that the police cracked down on prior to the passage of the bill? Or was the problem if two persons of the same sex with mutual consent entered a contractual agreement setting up the clauses common to the agreements associated with marriages?

Or, were both of those legal earlier as well, and the difference now is that churches are not allowed to refuse to let two people be wed in their facility solely on the basis of them being of the same sex?

Maybe I should read the bill, lol :p

If a church had wed the couple, their marriage would not have been viewed valid by the state.

Actually how it was in NY before this was:
If you got married in another state that recognized same sex marriage (like CT) and you came back and lived in NY then your marriage would be valid.

bamf:
Oh, the practical contractual impacts of marriage are just seen as implied if a priest/other weds two persons? I thought there was a separate process of signing a contract or something similar, and that the ceremony was just for show, and it sure would seem wacky if the contract itself would be regarded as invalid only due to the parties' sexes. It seems like I'm very ignorant of what existing laws regarding marriage actually say.

But in any case, removing discriminatory distinctions from laws is pretty cool. Nice.

Actually how it was in NY before this was:
If you got married in another state that recognized same sex marriage (like CT) and you came back and lived in NY then your marriage would be valid.
I'm not sure, but I think it's that way in every state, right? A marriage in a state where the marriage is legal is a marriage in every state, just like a drivers lisence is valid? I'm under the impression though, that should a church wed a gay couple in a state that doesn't view gay marriages as valid, the marriage holds no legal ground, even in other states, because it was never granted by the state?

bamf:
Oh, the practical contractual impacts of marriage are just seen as implied if a priest/other weds two persons? I thought there was a separate process of signing a contract or something similar, and that the ceremony was just for show, and it sure would seem wacky if the contract itself would be regarded as invalid only due to the parties' sexes. It seems like I'm very ignorant of what existing laws regarding marriage actually say.

But in any case, removing discriminatory distinctions from laws is pretty cool. Nice.

Some religious organizations support equality, some don't. This bill states that a particular religious group is not forced to perform the marriages, yet it gives liberty to any church to do so if they wish. That's the religious aspect. Now the term "marriage" also holds legal meaning in society outside of religion. This includes rights such as being recognize as a spouse during hospital visitations. Legal aspects should not be mixed with religious aspects. I am glad they are plenty of churches who are open-minded enough to let same-sex couples marry as a lot of religious groups do have the horrible reputation of being known as the "oppressors" of the LGBT community.

I'm not sure, but I think it's that way in every state, right? A marriage in a state where the marriage is legal is a marriage in every state, just like a drivers lisence is valid? I'm under the impression though, that should a church wed a gay couple in a state that doesn't view gay marriages as valid, the marriage holds no legal ground, even in other states, because it was never granted by the state?

Marriages performed in a particular state for the most part are not recognized outside that particular state. Only at the federal level will that be possible. New York was an exception as they passed a bill themselves claiming outside marriages should be legal. It's also sort of how the immigration system works. Since gay marriages are only recognized by the state and not federally, a gay spouse cannot "claim" his or her partner. That truly is sad.

I never understood why this is such a problem. It is no different than one having an uncle through a father or an aunt via mother. Wtf? America needs to jump into hyper-speed and play social catch-up, among other things.

In any event, this is good news :D

Yippee!

I would have rather seen legal rights updated and expanded nationally under civil unions or similar. In this way the confusions that exist on both sides could be addressed and perhaps resolved. It may seem a paradox, but unless this happens difficulties will persist forever.

Defense of Marriage Act. Makes it so no state has to recognize the same sex marriages of another state.