My Life for Auir (07-27-10) | Page 4 | INFJ Forum

My Life for Auir (07-27-10)

hmmm... i'm thinking a stalker and sentry combo as a basic ground team......... and immortals too if enemy is terran.... I keep looking for a cookie cutter or close to cookie cutter solution!

This game is like advanced rock-paper-scissors. You have to constantly watch what the opponent is building and build something that counters that.

This game is like advanced rock-paper-scissors. You have to constantly watch what the opponent is building and build something that counters that.

It's faaaaaar too much multitasking for me. I can safely say I will never get good at this game. My mind is much to rigid for it.

On the old SC I would always play the use map settings games, and me and my friend played "impossibles". Which were these maps that I had some inate talent for making. I would just sort of on a whim create a really unblanenced, but formulated map, and it would be me and him versus 6 computers, and it was HARD, but tons of fun. I don't think I played SC1 normally since like 2003 or something. Even when I did play melee maps they were "fastest possible map ever" maps where the minerals were semi hacked for everyone.

Reactions: enfp can be shy
i'm such a fucking donk i wouldn't even know what to build even if I knew exactly what evils were building :m142:

lol
i'm beating ppl rated 100+
i have no idea what it means but i'm rated 30
and i'm not good, i just produce stuff ......... like i explained........... immortals stalkers and sentries! sentry bubble and shielding useful!
i'm always surprised when I show up within the first 10-15 minutes and find out my opponent hasn't bee continuously producing fighters........ seems quite basic....

i'm such a fucking donk i wouldn't even know what to build even if I knew exactly what evils were building :m142:

The basics are pretty straightforward.

A ground unit with a ground attack, like a Marauder is weak against an air unit with a ground attack, like a Banshee.
A Banshee is weak againsk an air unit with an air attack, like a Phoenix.
A Phoenix is weak agains a ground unit with an air attack, like a Missile Turret.
And a Missile Turret is weak against a Marauder.

Here is a good wiki I found:
http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft2/Units

VERY NICE. Man-hug for mooseman :hug:

this has turned into pierce's starcraft blog
anyhow, i find it difficult to know exactly what the evil is building at any given time
terran is super hard because their defense is so good that I can't assault up their ramp, so they get to choose when they fight... which is a huge advantage, as I'm left to do the guesswork
i've just been making a little of everything........ seems to work ok

Tanks are weak against immortals, which have additional shield activated against heavy striking units.
180px-Immortal_SC2_Cncpt1.jpg

Haven't played almost any PvT, so am probably the worst person to listen to, but I expect 3-gate zlot rush to prevent any tanks, or timed immortal push to counter them. Zlots/lings in mass groups are strong against tanks/thors too, if he doesn't have balanced formation.
Precisely. It must be boring to be pro. All about 200+ apm.

I would have stopped after the first 5 wins, but when I was teen the other kids played lots of sc, and i couldn't, so it's like an old dream. Plus I really love the basic story and art of the series. Very inspiring. :) Actually... this is the main reason to play it.

Last edited:
terran is super hard because their defense is so good that I can't assault up their ramp, so they get to choose when they fight... which is a huge advantage, as I'm left to do the guesswork
i've just been making a little of everything........ seems to work ok

I'm working my way up the copper leauge ladder now. I find that a good all-purpose mix of units together with quick resource development will overrun most people. Last night I played Protoss and produced and army of more or less only Stalkers and Void Rays, which worked fine. Sometimes though, I faced a player who knew how to adapt, and then I was smoked.

I would have stopped after the first 5 wins, but when I was teen the other kids played lots of sc, and i couldn't, so it's like an old dream. Plus I really love the basic story and art of the series. Very inspiring. :) Actually... this is the main reason to play it.

Yeah, I like the setting too. I'm also a fan of strategy games. What I don't like is the speed and the adrenaline. (Go is the ultimate game of course.) :m027:

I know I will continue to play this game for a while so I'm glad I have my Lindy Hop to balance up my life and pull me from the computer every now and then.

LOL PvT push I wish. Almost all terrans box themselves in with buildings. With zerg and protoss, I actually 4 gateway and push zealots like mad. I usually win like this. Some protoss try to cannon, but I'm usually able to run past it, or kill what meager defense the evil has on chokepoint then run past cannons. Zerg sunken colonies work quite well. Evil has to keep building more though, because I'm pumping zealots from 4 gates continuous while moving to stalkers. If no 2nd hatchery evil is dead, I'll simply out-produce it.

I usually lose to Terran. I found out that in all games, aggression usually works well. I always lose when playing defensively. Vs. Terran. Last couple of games I went void rays, eventually some Phoenix if needed. Excess minerals go to an expansion and lots of zealots. That's my modus operandi... doing better with it. Sigh... Terran is so hard. Have to observer in case of cloaked flying things (and helps spy them until they turret up), need to cannon probe line in case of jetpack guys, have to cannon front in case of marine rush. Really sucks not being able to attack them until I get air. It's much easier to play when your rally point is in front of opponent's base and ur constantly on top of them. It limits their options, it's psychologically intimidating, and lets you see their base.

I like to void ray zergs too, and Phoenix if I find mutalisks. Vs. protoss I make many zealots, some stalkers just in case I find void rays, and colossus. But these 2 races usually never live past 10 min.

I always find that aggression seems to lead to winning.

I'm working my way up the copper leauge ladder now. I find that a good all-purpose mix of units together with quick resource development will overrun most people. Last night I played Protoss and produced and army of more or less only Stalkers and Void Rays, which worked fine. Sometimes though, I faced a player who knew how to adapt, and then I was smoked.

Yeah, I like the setting too. I'm also a fan of strategy games. What I don't like is the speed and the adrenaline. (Go is the ultimate game of course.) :m027:

I know I will continue to play this game for a while so I'm glad I have my Lindy Hop to balance up my life and pull me from the computer every now and then.

Stalker and void ray is a problem. They're both gas intensive. You'll have not too much of either, and tons of minerals left. I usually throw excess minerals at zealots.

Part of why I like playing aggressively is that it's much easier to kill an expansion than defend one. Anyhow, good players never let me expand easily. They produce a lot of fighter units, and are aggressive too.

Last edited:
The more bnet promote Faster speed, the more they admit the game has no substance.

Of course, even tic-tac-toe becomes a challenge, if you have to click 3 times per second, and your pc can't even process such speed, because of the rich 3D-graphics. Result? -> Larger stratification of player's "skills". The "skills" are just about how fast they click buttons and train automated procedures in their brains; plus their computer hardware.

The more stratification, the more interest, struggle; more people feeling unsatisfied, chasing goals endlessly, and... buying the bzzrd products. ;] gg
(of course I don't intend to ever buy a game; I haven't bought any software in my entire life; that's why I enjoy the beta so much :D: official bnet for free)

I usually lose to Terran.

Why not try playing Terran for a while to get a feel for their strengths and weaknesses? (I'm assuming you mostly play Protoss.)

Stalker and void ray is a problem. They're both gas intensive. You'll have not too much of either, and tons of minerals left.

True. That is not a big problem where I am in the ranking system right now, though.

The more bnet promote Faster speed, the more they admit the game has no substance.

I guess it is a philosophical question if anything in life has any substance at all. :) I think this game has substance though. It is fun!

Protoss seems the least suited for beginners; it takes the most time and frustration to get the grips of how to win. First, chrono boost. All the time. From the earliest (9th) probe, or right after the first Pylon (some prefer). Build second Nexus, and keep chrono boosting from 2 sources (group and assign both bases to the same hotkey). Second, exploit visibility and map specifics. Send an early probe to scout the map, look for an area your opponents may overlook in early game, put a Pylon there, research warp gates, while massing the gates, and then warp tons of armies in proximity of your unexpecting opponent. Most often it's gg. In later game, use the observers, but avoid missile turrets in T base; that needs close micro, can't just send them there.

I guess it is a philosophical question if anything in life has any substance at all. :) I think this game has substance though. It is fun!
I think it would quickly become very predictable, as long as people were not pressured to act in haste. Reviewing replays helps to realize this. The great players are just those able to click so fast that they can make SCVs repair each other in real time while being rushed, and at the same time defend with more marines.

But it's a lot of fun indeed, no doubt about that.

Here's a cheesy trick: register with nickname which (subtly) implies certain game behavior. Then more often do the opposite (against strong opponents, who are more likely to "type" you in their heads).

I found a Protoss void ray cheat (YAAYY MEEE). Everybody knows that if my void ray attacks something for 7 seconds, prismatic beam will activate, and my void ray will do 5x more damage. I found once prismatic beam activates, my void ray can attack anything I want and switch targets as much as I want and that 5x damage bonus remains active until the void ray doesn't attack anything for 4 seconds. I think prismatic beam damage bonus is supposed to turn off after a target switch, but it stays on. The initial 7 second charge-up must be on a single target though. So all I have to do is begin by attacking a building, then once prismatic beam is charged, I can kill anything. It's really kind of cheat.

I have never had a zerg or protoss beat my zealot push (since I got good at it!). Doing better vs. Terran with my new void ray cheat! Only a 5+ group of Thors can kill these void rays (and I'm sad when they do). I rush void rays hard. Only produce 1 zealot, but a few cannons.

Also, I'm #1 in my division's silver league (YAAYY). I've been there for all of today.... waiting to be gold league.... I'm beating gold league ppls all the time! I'm very weak in mid-game though.

I'm rank 5 gold league now!!! Just beat some platinum league (rank 110 tho) terran. He went tanks and died a horrible death.