My Life for Auir (07-27-10) | Page 6 | INFJ Forum

My Life for Auir (07-27-10)

Yeah psi storm tends to eat MMM very easily. 80 damage over 4 secs. Zeals and HT from the side or behind is a great idea too, but takes some anticipation to make happen. I'll lay off colossus and go HT a few games vs..... everything lol. Zeals, stalkers and HT!

Hum. 5 game win streak today. Still have a clumsy sorta feel, like I'm still not multitasking comfortably. My APM was 59 personal best today.

Some article says:

• Around 50 = An inexperience player.
  • Around 100 = An average player.
  • Around 150 = An above average player.
  • Around 200+ = An experience player.
My opponents usually 35ish APM. I mean, they don't totally suck. They know to reaper harass, and MMM, and put tanks behind MMM, and try banshee cloaked attacks (very dumb vs. protoss, because we always have observers). They know to expand (altho I usually have better timing and do it first and I'm always first to grab 2nd expansion). They make colossus to fight a ground battle, they build cannons in the middle of the map midgame on certain maps. I mean they're not total donks.

It amazes me how mediocre I play, and how I beat most Gold league players, and some platinum leaguers. I heard the play on Korean servers is much more skilled. ^^

I find that I play much better when I "think less". That is, when I don't spend too much time brooding over exactly what I need to do, and make more snap decisions.

Oh and I beat a cheese rusher :) I usually check for cheese attacks, but this one came kinda late so I didn't expect. Anyhow, he got the cannons up in my base, but I know the counter because I've tried these rushes before. I built cannons as well, to stop his cannons. I actually forgot that he could warp gate troops into my base, so I went stalkers, and I produced an observer and then an immortal pretty quick. Observer saw...... a much weaker force in his base, so I waltzed over. Just as I got there, the jerk warp gated in 4 stalkers to my base. I had maybe 2 zealots, 8 stalkers, and 2 immortals. He had a cannon, 2 zealots, and 1 stalker at his base. Mutually assured destruction situation. I've played this situation many times. Plus, I already had my expansion up + 10 probes at it ^^. I also had a probe outside his base which I brought with me, because I was going to build a pylon during the battle, and warp in troops ^^. Anyhow, mutually assured destruction: He who has the largest army inevitably wins. Here is how it is done: You destroy his production facilities (or the pylons powering it), his nexus, and his probes. Can leave the pylons and tech facilities. By the time you get back to your base, you should still have buildings left, and possibly probes that have run away (if he chases down probes, he will be behind in building kill, or he may not even catch them). Rebuild Nexus if you can, and kill his army when you get back to your base. Now you both have just a few buildings left, except YOU have an army and he doesn't! If he isn't revealed, send 1 unit to each mineral patch. Checkmate! If there are island expansions, scout them with observer while making like 5 stargates and pylons, and claim 2 more expansions (preferably gold) while those stargates are morphing in. This guy actually had 4 cannons up at my base, and his troops were hiding behind them and tried to draw my army in. I actually just held position and was planning on completely rebuilding then killing off his remaining stalkers + cannons that he had cornered, but he surrendered ^^. If I had gone straight in I may have lost the game.

Also, I'm not really afraid of losing expansions anymore. They tend to pay for themselves very quickly. Just don't send too many probes over to a 2nd expansion which is usually very vulnerable if your main is still mining. I've seen it happen in pro games a LOT: Players attempt expansions, lose them, then attempt it again immediately afterwards. I saw a pro lose the same expansion twice, and rebuild it twice. His enemy was losing expansions and reclaiming them as well. Mutually assured destruction. Only in my games, I'm usually the only one with a midgame 2nd expansion. Enemy often dies once his main runs out. Oops... shoulda thought of 2nd expansion earlier buddy! After main is mined out, army should be placed preferably in between both expansions. Preferably scout well enough to see an incoming attack on either expansion, and go rescue it. Always attack opponent expansions in this situation too. If he doesn't have a 2nd expansion.... then... well.... you'll out-macro him. Each expansion should have 1 pylon to warp in troops, and maybe 1 cannon to prevent harassment.

Last edited:
Yes, good thoughts. I was starting to truly accept this similar philosophy: good game is not about all-in army smashing the opponent; it's about cyclic expanding in waves, with relatively huge losses here and there, but overall pushing your opponents to fewer mining rates and smaller armies on each compatible level of development. That means you should be mentally prepared to build and rebuild a few bases and armies, lose them again, and rebuild/upgrade them again, while constantly out-pushing and out-expanding the 'waves' and times of your opponent, in the long run. (Think Master and Commander kinda) For some periods you may be overpowered, or even almost lose everything, and yet, if you keep pushing, following smooth transitions, you will get chances to exploit the weak moments which the other guy faces too.

At least that's in theory, if you are a good player. But getting there also requires decent hardware for the game, which I don't even use for now.

Here's a favorite PvP moment: sentries cutting and completely surrounding enemy stalkers with force fields:
166ts6.jpg
As the Battle-cruisers shout, when suddenly attacked: "It's a trap!" :)

Last edited:
Pierce and enfp, I enjoy reading your posts. Keep em coming.

My life is too busy for me to play Starcraft as much as I would like and I haven't played in a while. I'm tired right now, but I am still going to squeeze in a few matches tonight. I have been thinking a bit about how to assign keys for optimal resource management and that is what I intend to practice right now. For me, the resource development stuff is just a bother and it would be nice if I could do it on the fly as much as possible without thinking, while maneuvering the troops.

I'm still in the copper leauge and good resource management alone should be enough to win most, if not all, matches. We will see about that.

sc + wow + diablo = ?

Is it possible that all the main game series of Blizzard "in the end" could turn out revolving around the same universe in different time-space? I've read theories that SC's Protoss are from WoW's Azeroth etc.

Please tell me what you think. :) I don't know too much about the stories; I know they publish quite huge volumes with fantasy and sci-fi, based on those worlds. Maybe someone here knows more.

Mooseman I noticed that a lot of times when I win, the opponent was doing all the right things, building the right units, expanding, scouting etc. He/she just didn't multitask well enough, and their APM always 35ish, while mine 55ish. Still very low though.... but then again I only been playing SC2 for 9 days, and I never became good at SC1.... The 120+APM players have mostly been playing a LOT... years...

I hope in 3 weeks from now I'll be top 10 platinum with maybe 80 or 90 APM. I still wouldn't consider myself "good" if that happened, I'd consider myself understanding the basics of starcraft strategic play, and competent multi-tasking.

ENFP, stalkers outrange sentries, so the front part of your wall is not useful. Splitting an enemy army is always great. Are you sure some of those force fields were not your enemy's? Seems they're blocking your zealots. I like your enemy's army comp better actually because stalkers are so much stronger in stalker vs. sentry, and he only needs to wall off zealots. Seems you split his army though, so that lost him the battle.

The sentry army is DIMAGA's, a well known player, forgot who was the other guy. In this case he also uses the guardian shield, which is close to the stalkers, they could walk inside and then shoot the unprotected sentries. So all force fields were useful.

Wish you success with this plan, I think it is doable.

Hm... I didn't know Guardian shields didn't affect attacks coming from inside the shield radius.

Ah, you are right, the shield is "thick", like a field; I thought it was like a membrane (I tested it now, to be sure). Then the only explanation for the force fields above is to prevent the injured units from escaping the front fire, as players with good micro tend to "save" them for shield recharging.

As promised, the answer to the $100'000 challenge :):
http://i44.tinypic.com/28jjuyt.jpg
It's a bug. I reported it to Blizzard. Apparently if you build units at the same second, their noted food supply status may be shown in arbitrary order, possibly creating a mess in the food supply sequence.

Last edited:
Lol is that some protoss taking a shit?

I find Starcraft playing kinda stressful actually. I pressure myself too much to perform.

ZTARJRAFT

just weird for no reason eh?

Lol is that some protoss taking a shit?

I find Starcraft playing kinda stressful actually. I pressure myself too much to perform.

It's a Space Marine from Warhammer 40000, I think.

If they make a board game of this, where you have as much time as you like to make desicions, I will be first in line to buy it. But the stress level in this game... sometimes too much for me.

There is, it's called Chess.

4FKBDT-MJTJ-NYDYVV-2HZW-7YNT4Z

ZW8T2R-DK9T-7DK6BE-HRD4-ME9ZJW
HT2MGF-H6KR-FZE44C-28W9-RNX8F4

FTY6PH-7MEZ-96ZTV4-6FCF-4JCGPX
XNR6BP-6G89-7NZEVR-PE7C-44WCFR

Some of these might still work, though I doubt it, but if someone visiting this thread is desperate for beta keys, could give it a try. They were all thrown just now on some sc2 comment list.

The beta testing will stop on 31st of May for some time (probably no bnet then), and restarted again before the official launch. So two more weeks left before this break. glhf

I have a key now, but found out it's region-locked.

Oh joy, considering the only person I want to play lives 4000 miles away.

4 Motherships in 2v2 with ONLY ONE protoss player in the game? I'll let you think about it. :wink:

Lol..... why the fuck would you make 4 motherships........... You wanted to recall tons of troops to one base, then quickly recall to another base + use vortex? Something weird?