Music and "The Chills" | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Music and "The Chills"

Do you get "chills" from listening to certain types of music? (Read article before voting)

• Total voters
I know I'll love a song forever if it gives me chills. I hold on to these special songs- buy them, write them down for reference etc. Any other song is in danger of fading into my distant memory.

Skin orgasms? What a over-sexualized society we have moved to.

Hmm, I think this society is actually quite under-sexualized. It's just that we exploit and prostitute certain aspects of sexuality leading to the grotesque manifestations we encounter daily.

That said, given that the same brain structures and neurochemistries are involved in both sexual reward and that of the witness of beauty, I don't think it any misuse of language to say "skin orgasm" as a colloquialism.

cheers,
Ian

Hmm, I think this society is actually quite under-sexualized. It's just that we exploit and prostitute certain aspects of sexuality leading to the grotesque manifestations we encounter daily.

That said, given that the same brain structures and neurochemistries are involved in both sexual reward and that of the witness of beauty, I don't think it any misuse of language to say "skin orgasm" as a colloquialism.

cheers,
Ian

+1

I don't get physical sensations, but music with a clear message in a genre I'm fond of effects me very strongly. It effects me so much so that I listen to music right before I need to do challenging things (a big help during finals week in college last week)...
gets me PUMPED!
:m180::m180::m180::m180::m180::m180::m180:

I get the chills big-time from music. Always have.

I just took the big five test here

I scored very high openness.

A Major Update!

I

I won't vote but I was getting these when I was a teenager also while singing certain songs. Don't get any chills anymore...

yes, I love the chills.

orchestral music, choral music,
usually containing more climactic moments...
tension and release

sometimes a very simple sound accompanied by the right visual in a film will do it for me

i suppose it's a process of feeling

it could even be a really well delivered speech,
something universal, communicated so clearly and beautifully

yeah, i think the chills can come when we are deeply moved

music is undoubtedly the most moving language

Yes - most emphatically this!

Sometimes 1 of these chills might last for 30 minutes or so with me, or even longer. Constantly shuddering from either my thoughts or music. Or maybe both of them combined.

I don't get chills from music but I wish I did. I have gotten chills from great literature and poetry. Kafka (The Trial), Conrad (Heart of Darkness) and Ibsen (Ghosts) come to mind.

Very interesting! I have noticed it does not occur to me if the music includes me singing. Like, my choir music. The piano can, but the moment our voices are added I can't. Maybe it has something to do with me hearing our errors as a group and listening for me and my errors. I guess that ruins the beauty of the music for me.

Wonderful that you found this! I was actually thinking about this the other day as my roommate brought up something related to this. It again makes total sense, and this adds more solidity why I need my "music fix" and if I go too long without it I get antsy.

Oh dopamine, you scare the crap out of me, but I adore you <3.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KR5posxUZp0"]YouTube - Adagio D Minor - Sung by Zeforah (to Sunshine OST)[/ame]

= chills for me

Yes, and the video [MENTION=3379]Free Mind[/MENTION] posted did it for me too. Beautiful song, thanks for the vid! Usually this only happens to me with louder/faster songs. And only when I'm listening, not when I'm playing music.
Also, sometimes I just start dancing.

I didn't know that some people don't get them till I read the article.