Music and Mainstream Crap Criticism | Page 3 | INFJ Forum
Eeeeeeeeeewwwwww baaaaarf!

giphy.gif

Another one.

Weezer. Staaaaahp

Special place in my heart for Weezer. I enjoy them and look at their catalog as a weird time reference to the stages of my life. I am however worried that social media destroyed River's brain. He's appealing to the masses and using that as a compass to what they work on. All the while it feels like he's making fun of the audience.

Some interesting reads out there about their recent adventures:
https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/weezer-weezer-the-black-album/

I think my biggest complaint about my relationship to music is my time is limited to explore new artists. I've aged out of what the kids and pop culture listen to and it takes a lot of time to find new artists on the fringe that I resonate with. My music catalog visits the stuff I grew up listening to from the 80s thru the 00s. I listened to a lot of music that seems new to me but is really 5-8 years old now. I try to go sample some of the new stuff that reviews well a few times a year.

Career music writers and arrangers are very aware that new music must contain some elements of the older so that it can be palatable to the ear. There is of course a slow progression of change, that over time, when someone only listens to the music of their generation, the new music has moved beyond what they are used to (this is a well known psychological phenomena in the industry). If you listen to any new hit on the radio, you will always hear some recognizable (even copied) part in it from the recent past. This is done intentionally.

One of my lives was in pursuit of the industry in this way.

I myself like music from the 70's and 80's the best. So I'm way out of touch. Although I have heard many throwback illusions to the 80's. Maybe even this is out of fashion now. Geese, I'm getting old.

When Old Town Road is number one on America's charts, we should be concerned for the sake of our children's musical health. Lol.

Yes but it is better than that "my N(word)" song from a few years ago and the "leave your girlfriend I'm bored" shit not much better sadly but at least you don't got a bunch of tiny white girls under the age of 16 singing the N(word) in LA like a bunch of uncultured idiots. I swear.

I think my biggest complaint about my relationship to music is my time is limited to explore new artists. I've aged out of what the kids and pop culture listen to and it takes a lot of time to find new artists on the fringe that I resonate with. My music catalog visits the stuff I grew up listening to from the 80s thru the 00s. I listened to a lot of music that seems new to me but is really 5-8 years old now. I try to go sample some of the new stuff that reviews well a few times a year.
Explore music from other countries. A lot of times there are couple generations back on what's "cool" and alot of them sing in English.

Yes but it is better than that "my N(word)" song from a few years ago and the "leave your girlfriend I'm bored" shit not much better sadly but at least you don't got a bunch of tiny white girls under the age of 16 singing the N(word) in LA like a bunch of uncultured idiots. I swear.
Yes. This is accurate.

I agree.

I’m pretty picky in what I listen to. I don’t think I absolutely like or absolutely hate the whole of any genre. Similarly, when people tell me they hate a genre (rap, country, metal, whatever), after some probing I usually find that what they mean is they hate the popular music from that genre. And who can blame them? Music has a strange metric by which it becomes popular these days and with the exception of viral and sleeper hits, most music that is played on the radio is engineered to be popular. This is why most of the songs you’ll hear on the radio sounds very similar to other songs.

More than corporate label takeover, more than the death of physical media and the absolute dominance of the digital format, I think the key factor to why the music industry is in the position that it’s in is because of the automation of DJs. Previously DJs would have a lot more freedoms being able to play what they wanted to play; maybe something new, something they just thought was cool, something to promote a band coming to town. Somewhere along the lines a switch occurred and now with radio stations being owned by various corporations or labels, they play exclusively whatever is currently on the Billboard 100, with maybe a few older hits peppered in. I can think of a few radio stations in my town that don’t even have DJs, the whole thing seems to be automated and run by computers.

Anyway this is probably my biggest grievance regarding the music industry. The system is gamed and presented as authentic and the end result is shitty music being popular and people thinking, no fault to them, that music is getting worse. The truth is there’s still loads of good music around, and in every genre. You just have to search a bit harder to find it.

@BritNi You used the word "adorable", so...

I listen to this song more often that one would think :tonguewink: (yeah I still manage to be indie in my cheesiness, that's me in a nutshell tho)

@BritNi You used the word "adorable", so...

I listen to this song more often that one would think :tonguewink: (yeah I still manage to be indie in my cheesiness, that's me in a nutshell tho)
Hahaha.
Friggin adorable!!!

Special place in my heart for Weezer. I enjoy them and look at their catalog as a weird time reference to the stages of my life. I am however worried that social media destroyed River's brain. He's appealing to the masses and using that as a compass to what they work on. All the while it feels like he's making fun of the audience.

Some interesting reads out there about their recent adventures:
https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/weezer-weezer-the-black-album/

I agree that River seems to be distracted by social media. But that will never change the fact that Blue and Pinkerton are up there among the best albums of the 90s!

I've listened to Pinkerton almost more than any other album lol

Oh that was enjoyable.

Cool! Yeah to be honest I still love this song. I think it's a very well-written tune. Sure it wears its emotions on its sleeves but I need that sometimes.

(PS. For some inexplicable reason I kept listening to this song very loud and for hours after France's defeat against Portugal in the Euro finals in 2016)

Cool! Yeah to be honest I still love this song. I think it's a very well-written tune. Sure it wears its emotions on its sleeves but I need that sometimes.

(PS. For some inexplicable reason I kept listening to this song very loud and for hours after France's defeat against Portugal in the Euro finals in 2016)
I'm listening to it now. I love the sound.
It is cheesy though. But there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

I love cheese.

Even the famous, notoriously strong-smelling French cheese called reblochon?

Om nom nom :yum:
Probably.
All these cheeses. I'll bet that stuff is amazing though. If it's really pungent, that's totally fine. Haha. Sharper taste.

Haha.

You're a cheese ball.